Old Aug 15, 2005, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Delta to sell ASA to Skywest for $425 million

Here's some breathing room for DL:

Delta Air to sell regional unit for $425 million cash
Monday August 15, 5:31 pm ET

By August Cole

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Delta Air Lines said late Monday that it is selling its Atlantic Southeast Airlines for $425 million in cash to SkyWest Inc. in a bid to raise capital and shore up its liquidity position to fend off bankruptcy. Part of the sale proceeds will be used to pay down $100 million in debt, including some from GE Commercial Finance . The ASA operations will still fly for Delta Connection, the airline said.
http://biz.yahoo.com/cbsmb/050815/65...d401.html?.v=1

Should help DL's cash position as it readies itself for its Ch 11 filing.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 3:41 pm

And DAL follows with an after-hours gain of 45%...
Old Aug 15, 2005, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here's another story with much more detail:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050815/delta.html?.v=5

Maybe this will work for DL; I have loaded up on DL just in case it works.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Maybe Skywest can do something DL could not - improve ASA customer service, although I have my doubts.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 3:53 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
You have a hard time to fix something that's been broken for a long time.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
When they originally purchased it, what did Delta pay for ASA?
Old Aug 15, 2005, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
It will be interesting to speculate as to the eventual effect on DL's bottom line. Obviously, DL owned ASA completely. On the other hand, SkyWest is paid a fee per departure by DL for its DL Connection flights. We can assume that the ASA flights will operate under the same fee per departure scheme. So how does this ultimately impact DL going forward?
Old Aug 15, 2005, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RobertS975
So how does this ultimately impact DL going forward?
Just a WAG here, but I'd guess that the cost to DL will be an additional 5% to 8% or so, since most FPD arrangements are essentially at cost plus a fixed profit margin. It might even be neutral if Skywest is able to trim ASA's costs somewhat (and as a very low cost carrier, that might be possible).
Old Aug 15, 2005, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by sorro
When they originally purchased it, what did Delta pay for ASA?
They purchased ASA Holdings for $700 million in 1999. Prior to that they owned 28% of the stock (I don't know what they paid for that). At the time they estimated the cost to exceed the value of the assets by $519 million.

In November, 1999, Delta purchased the remaining 78% of Comair stock it didn't already own for $1.8 billion (I don't know what it paid for the first block of stock). At the time they estimated the cost to exceed the fair market value of the assets by $1.4 billion.

Also, they announced that they got an extension on their M/C and VISA credit arrangements to 10/31. The processor wants a big chunk of change to renew--perhaps from this sale?
Old Aug 15, 2005, 5:05 pm

What is in it for Skywest?

It looks like Delta could declare Chapter 11, walk away from the agreements with ASA and Skywest, and still pocket $350 million, leaving Skywest with a fleet of orphan RJs.

On the other hand, $100 million is $100 million, and Skywest may be seeing that as sufficient leverage to help maintain their lucrative contracts with Delta, especially if (when) DL goes Ch. 11.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by RobertS975
It will be interesting to speculate as to the eventual effect on DL's bottom line. Obviously, DL owned ASA completely. On the other hand, SkyWest is paid a fee per departure by DL for its DL Connection flights. We can assume that the ASA flights will operate under the same fee per departure scheme. So how does this ultimately impact DL going forward?
Not all SkyWest flights operate in this matter. Some depart on a fix fee basis and others depart on a shared revenue and shared liability basis. You can actually tell this from the flight number but I forget the ranges.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Overall, I think this is a good move for everyone. I was really betting that it was Comair that would be sold. I figured that is the only one of the two that were sellable. Delta doesn't have the time, money, or energy to fix ASA. I would look for SkyWest do to some serious housecleaning at ASA. Of course, they can't fix it overnight but you can bet they will try some changes quickly. Now, we understand the much larger ASA presence at SLC.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 6:45 pm

Programs: GM, Marriott Silver, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by indufan
Overall, I think this is a good move for everyone. I was really betting that it was Comair that would be sold. I figured that is the only one of the two that were sellable. Delta doesn't have the time, money, or energy to fix ASA. I would look for SkyWest do to some serious housecleaning at ASA. Of course, they can't fix it overnight but you can bet they will try some changes quickly. Now, we understand the much larger ASA presence at SLC.
Yeah, flew ASA out of SLC this past week. Not impressed.

Grinstein is 70+ yrs old and has said his remaining life's goal is to save this airline. He's sure making a good try at it and getting no help at all from luck (oil).
Old Aug 15, 2005, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Owen

Grinstein is 70+ yrs old and has said his remaining life's goal is to save this airline. He's sure making a good try at it and getting no help at all from luck (oil).
Boy, isn't that pretty much the story.

And I assume that all of you are seeing your highest gas prices yet right now.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 8:43 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Alaska MVP, Hilton GoldMarriott Titanium
Im guessing that ASA will still be operating as ASA after becomming a part of SkyWest? Also does anyone think this will have an impact on the ASA route structure/schedule?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.