Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Compensation for Comair debacle--Delta's response

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation for Comair debacle--Delta's response

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2004, 5:56 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
The airlines can't have it both ways. They advertise codeshares and "partners" as a seamless way to get from Point A to Point B. They don't have to add their own flights on those routes. The partner airlines probably pay DL to be part of the DL frequent flyer programs. Then when something goes wrong, DL backs away and says, "Not our planes. Not our problem." A more tragic example was the crash of the SwissAir flight a few years back- they code-shared with DL, I believe. DL denied any responsibility.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:17 am

Programs: Delta Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
So Mikey.... Did you ever write a letter or e-mail to comair?? If so, what was their response? Did they tell you to bring it up with Delta? Just curious.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by traveler4ever
So Mikey.... Did you ever write a letter or e-mail to comair?? If so, what was their response? Did they tell you to bring it up with Delta? Just curious.
I'm going to. I'd also appreciate any suggestions anyone has for escalating this within the DL organization: specific persons to write/call, etc.

Thanks.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by traveler4ever
I had to check the comair web site. They do have a place for customer comments. I was suprised. However, things like reservations and check on Comair flights direct you to Delta's web site. Hmmmmm.
Seems like Delta only touts Comair when it is in their favor.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 8:24 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

The original milepost in this thread brings back “memories”.

A year ago, I wrote to Delta Air Lines via www.delta.com concerning problems that I had with an Atlantic Southeast Scarelines flight.

The following is a response I received via e-mail:
Dear Canarsie:

Thank you for your e-mail via Delta’s Web site.

We want flying on Delta or Atlantic Southeast Airlines, the Delta Connection Carrier, to be enjoyable, and I am sorry for the inconvenience you encountered on (Date Withheld). I can only imagine your dismay with the handling of the irregular operation of Flight XXXX and the turn of events that followed.

Atlantic Southeast Airlines is one of our Delta Connection partners. Although ASA is a wholly owned subsidiary of Delta, ASA operates as a separate company. Since the circumstances you described involve ASA’s service, your e-mail has been forwarded to our partner for review. We know our concern will be shared, and you should receive a reply within the next thirty days from ASA. Your patience in the meantime is appreciated.

Thank you again for taking the time to write.

Sincerely,

(Name Withheld)
Manager
Customer Care
This practice by Delta Air Lines of associating with their wholly-owned subsidiary airlines only when it is beneficial to them but apparently distancing themselves from them in problem situations has been ongoing for a while.

I remember when the customer service department of Delta Air Lines “stepped up to the plate” whenever there was a problem with a Delta Connection flight, and this was before Delta Air Lines wholly owned Atlantic Southeast Scarelines and Comair.

By the way, the final resolution to my complaint was nothing more than an apology from a manager of Customer Care at Atlantic Southeast Scarelines.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 8:38 am

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Originally Posted by Canarsie

I remember when the customer service department of Delta Air Lines “stepped up to the plate” whenever there was a problem with a Delta Connection flight, and this was before Delta Air Lines wholly owned Atlantic Southeast Scarelines and Comair.

By the way, the final resolution to my complaint was nothing more than an apology from a manager of Customer Care at Atlantic Southeast Scarelines.

Remember the game of "hot potato?"........sure sounds familiar......
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:01 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
When NW messes up, they often proactively send an apology and maybe some compensatory miles -- without even having to contact them.

I haven't received an apology, nor even seen a general one on DLs website or statements.

Would it hurt so much to say "we're sorry we inconvenienced tens of thousands of people?"
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
When NW messes up, they often proactively send an apology and maybe some compensatory miles -- without even having to contact them.

I haven't received an apology, nor even seen a general one on DLs website or statements.

Would it hurt so much to say "we're sorry we inconvenienced tens of thousands of people?"
I suspect that you will indeed receive a proactive apology and maybe miles without having to contact them. But it's only Dec. 28th. for something that happen a couple of days ago. They could put a general one on the website but I suspect that no one has thought of it yet. I am sure it was a hectic Christmas for employees as well.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Prem. 1K & 1MM, DL Platinum, AA Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold. United, Sky, Admirals Club
I still cant believe DL refused to change someone on a Y ticket comair or not..... which is fully refundable and changeable. Other carriers would have gone out of their way to accomodate (maybe not US, LOL). Definitely fly another carrier next time...

WASJETBOY
Old Dec 28, 2004, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Hilton Diamond, Avis Preferred
I can't believe none of you folks have ever sought out compensation from Comair before and don't know how to handle this.

They screwed me over a year and a half ago out of ABE. I missed a class riding a bus to EWR, adding several hours to my destination because of equipment.

Go to this website:

Comair, The Delta Connection Feedback

You can send an e-mail, but I find it more effective to write a letter to the address at the bottom. Send it certified mail if you really want to expedite the process (sorry to use the TSA lingo).

They'll send you a voucher. It'll look like one of those old school credit card receipts with a carbon copy. It probably won't be an e-voucher. (Although, NW's Regional Carrier Pinnacle sent me an e-voucher good on NW once)
Old Dec 28, 2004, 12:43 pm
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
When ever I have had a problem with one of the Delta Connection Carriers I have written to DL and or DL and the Connection Carrier. Each time DL has handled the problem and once one of the Connection Carriers followed up with an email and written letter (ASA). Bottom line, this is DL's problem, go after DL, your ticket says "DL", it is DL's problem regardless of what they say.

I just say, don't fly DL and you wont have these problems. Of course, that does not insure you don't have the problems on other airlines... but I tend to think other airlines (or some of them...) actually care if you fly with them again.

Dreading making travel reservations... DL may be in the works for a few flights over the next few weeks.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by JPoor007
They'll send you a voucher. It'll look like one of those old school credit card receipts with a carbon copy. It probably won't be an e-voucher. (Although, NW's Regional Carrier Pinnacle sent me an e-voucher good on NW once)
When I had problems with Comair, the voucher that I got was only good on Comair flights. I ended up not using it, not wanting to go anywhere all on RJs.
Since it was part of a DL ticket, I would make sure that whatever compensation you get is good on Delta as well.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by JRF
When ever I have had a problem with one of the Delta Connection Carriers I have written to DL and or DL and the Connection Carrier. Each time DL has handled the problem and once one of the Connection Carriers followed up with an email and written letter (ASA). Bottom line, this is DL's problem, go after DL, your ticket says "DL", it is DL's problem regardless of what they say.
That's all well and good, but the ticket doesn't say DL, does it? It says something like "operated by comair".
Old Dec 28, 2004, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by outtolunch
That's all well and good, but the ticket doesn't say DL, does it? It says something like "operated by comair".
But you are continuing to conveniently ignore the point made by a prior poster: the customers contracted with and paid money to DL not Comair -- DL chose to subcontract out to Comair, but DL still owes a duty to the customers who paid them money to get from point A to point B.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf

Yes, NW has gotten quite good about being proactive. Of course they had the DTW debacle a few years back. But, after an email about audio not working in my seat on an NRT-LAX flight, I got 10,000 miles posted to my account. I've also been on flights when there have been problems with the IFE or non-standard operations and either had a service pack with a $s off coupon, meal voucher, etc. handed to me as I left the plane or had the miles just show up in my WP account the next day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.