Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

BYOB? Is it possible to bring my own alcohol for int. flight with Delta?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BYOB? Is it possible to bring my own alcohol for int. flight with Delta?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2008, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
I was in Baton Rouge last week and sitting at the bar before my flight. The bartender offered "to go" cups (regular white foam with lid and straw). That's probably another way you could do it.
that's kinda normal in Louisiana, flying or not
Old Jun 26, 2008, 4:57 pm

Programs: DELTA PM, CO Platinum, PLAT AMEX
Xanax and 2 drinks knocks me out for at least 7 hours, works better than Ambien for me. Just lots of water when you wake up.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 4:58 pm

Flew JFK to DUB and our "Dinner" bev was free, everyone after that is $5. But I try to AF or NW, service, PTV and planes are WAY better. But of course all my miles get deposited with good 'ol Delta.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

I guess I'll just get 2-3 small bottles from a local store and put them in zip lock...

I'm actually now thinking about getting some niquill gels and have 2-3 of them... I'd enjoy chugging it but I can't take it to the plane either...

Any good advice is still appreciated...

Korhan

PS: I feel weird that I sound like an alcholoic, I really am not, I'm just a college student going to Arizona State (that didn't quite help did it? )
Old Jun 26, 2008, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Korhan
I guess I'll just get 2-3 small bottles from a local store and put them in zip lock...

I'm actually now thinking about getting some niquill gels and have 2-3 of them... I'd enjoy chugging it but I can't take it to the plane either...

Any good advice is still appreciated...

Korhan

PS: I feel weird that I sound like an alcholoic, I really am not, I'm just a college student going to Arizona State (that didn't quite help did it? )
You can really take any 3 oz bottle and fill it with the beverage of your choice ... think mouthwash bottles. I've done that to carry-on a liquid prescription and to avoid the hastle at security of bringing the actual bottle which was 48oz.

I have brought small size bottles from a liquor store on a DFW-CDG flight on AA and no one noticed or said anything. Not really a ton of $ savings, but it allowed me to drink my brand of choice and in combo with some medication, sleep like a baby the entire flight.

and no, the AZ State reference is not helping you much
Old Jun 26, 2008, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Took a few Mini Scotch bottles in the infamous baggie on a flight to Panama City Panama a week or so ago just in case the upgrade didn't come through. It did so I used them up in the room.

Replenished them and used them on the return ATL-DAY when I lost the Gate Lottery. Nobody seemed to care but then who would have noticed serving the masses in Steerage?

Cheers
Old Jun 26, 2008, 7:03 pm

This is in the Sky magazine:

Alcohol may be served to customers over the age of 21 only. By FAA rule, we may not serve alcohol to customers who appear intoxicated. Only alcohol provided by Delta and served by flight attendants may be consumed onboard.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:19 pm

Programs: HH LifeTime Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt, AA, Delta
Okay, since you mentioned you are a college student I am appalled that you do not own a pair of these: http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/2007/...k-in-a-sandal/

I am sure TSA just loves these.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
The old beer keg as checked baggage thread might be of some interest to you.

Originally Posted by sallyerd
Okay, since you mentioned you are a college student I am appalled that you do not own a pair of these...
Awesome.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:40 pm

Step 1. Buy an orange. And a syringe.
Step 2. Peel off "Dole" or "Organic" (whatever) sticker from orange.
Step 3. Inject syringe into orange and suck out some juice.
Step 4. Fill syringe with alcohol of choice and inject into orange.
Step 5. Replace sticker.
Step 6. Carry orange with you (yes, fruits are permitted, but I think they might not be too happy with a watermelon)
Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:47 pm

Programs: Delta 3MM/PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by yensoy
Step 1. Buy an orange. And a syringe.
Step 2. Peel off "Dole" or "Organic" (whatever) sticker from orange.
Step 3. Inject syringe into orange and suck out some juice.
Step 4. Fill syringe with alcohol of choice and inject into orange.
Step 5. Replace sticker.
Step 6. Carry orange with you (yes, fruits are permitted, but I think they might not be too happy with a watermelon)
Post of the Month! If you're ever in Orlando stop by and I'll pick some oranges off the tree!! Classic
Old Jun 26, 2008, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL-Pyrite Medallion
Below you will find the applicable FAA regulation that governs this issue:

§ 121.575 Alcoholic beverages.
(a) No person may drink any alcoholic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircraft has served that beverage to him.

(b) No certificate holder may serve any alcoholic beverage to any person aboard any of its aircraft who—

(1) Appears to be intoxicated
The first highlighted part is key. You absolutely may not serve yourself your own booze. You may ask....Why not? That is answered by the second highlighted part. If you are drinking your own booze, the cabin crew has no idea how drunk you may be. At least if the F/A is serving you, he/she knows how many drinks you have had. This is important, because if there is an emergency which requires a passenger evacuation, a drunk becomes an burden/impediment to the Flight Attendant as well as the other passengers.

Some airlines have interpreted this FAR to mean that the "Certificate Holder must serve" the beverage and therefore you can bring your own bottle aboard, but you must give it to the F/A to serve it to you so they can control it. To the best of my knowledge, Delta interprets the FAR such that the "Certificate Holder" must 'provide' and 'serve' the alcohol. In other words, the drink must come from Delta's supplies, not the passengers. However, that particular interpretation is found in the F/As handbook so you should check with them to make sure. What I can tell you for certain is that you absolutely cannot serve yourself your own drinks.

I know I may sound like a hard-*ss on this, but believe it or not, I'm a pretty friendly Captain. I like to engage and joke around with my passengers and I always hang around during delays to face the music and explain whats going on and I understand the frustrations that passengers feel during delays....that said, the handfull of Pax that I have kicked off the plane have been those who try to sneak their own booze on board or those who are clearly drunk before they ever sit down. Let me be real clear, if the F/As inform me that during boarding, someone in row 25 is pouring their own drinks from a bottle, you are going to find yourself off the plane with very little discussion.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 11:30 pm

I am quite sure that many passengers have quietly opened that duty free bottle in flight when no one was looking, and poured it into their cup or that empty water bottle, or empty coke can.

In flying on a regular basis since 1969, I have only seen the flight attendant remove the bottle only once, where the passenger was becoming too obvious, too intoxicated and too out of control.

The flight attendant even commented to me that he would not have done anything, but the situation was getting out of control.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:20 am
Original Poster

OK I give up...

I'm just gonna behave...

But yensoy, you're the man! If you ever happen to come to Phoenix for a milage run, I'll take you to the greatest microbrewery: The Four Peaks"...
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:36 am

Programs: AA, ANA, JAL, NW/DL, Marriott Silver, Avis First
Here you are a college student getting terrible advice from some irresponsible adults. I was utterly shocked finding this thread and angered by some of the responses posted by FT members.

Now that you are aware of Federal Aviation Regulations regarding alcohol, do not even consider bringing your own alcoholic beverage onboard and consuming it.

Some others said they mix alcohol and medication. I'm a nurse, and I cannot believe some older adults would be giving you that idea.

Shame on those of you that bring your own drinks onboard KNOWING the FAA prohibits it and even more for giving this young college student crazy ideas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.