Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

BYOB? Is it possible to bring my own alcohol for int. flight with Delta?

BYOB? Is it possible to bring my own alcohol for int. flight with Delta?

Old Jun 26, 08, 1:32 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9
Talking BYOB? Is it possible to bring my own alcohol for int. flight with Delta?

Hey everybody

I hope I'm writing this to the right section, if not, please move it to the proper section.
Anyways, I was quite pissed when I learned that you have to purchase the alcoholic beverages even when flying international with delta. I'll be flying from JFK to IST (Istanbul Turkey)...

It's been a long time since I last traveled international so I don't really remember. Can I buy a bottle of Baileys or Starbucks Cream Liquor from a duty free shop and take it in the plane and just ask for ice for the whole trip? Cause that would be really sweet (and relatively inexpensive)...

I don't remember how the duty free shops used to work. I remember purchasing something from the store and receiving it from flight attandents but was it before the flight or after landing? Does Delta have any rules against bringing your own alcohol? So basically... Is it possible?

Any help (even pointing me to the right direction) would be deeply appreciated...

Oh by the way I'm flying on saturday night, so I'll be happy if you be quick

Thanks

Korhan
Korhan is offline  
Old Jun 26, 08, 1:36 pm
  #2  
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Athens, GA USA
Programs: Hilton Diamond
Posts: 18,715
Most airlines and federal laws prohibit the consumption of alcohol beverages which are not provided by the airlines.

So, I expect it is a NO.

William
wharvey is offline  
Old Jun 26, 08, 1:40 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9
Darn it...

So anyone knows any powdered/tablet/teabagged kind of alcohol that I can just dip in the water and it becomes a cocktail :P ? (That would in deed be very sweet )
Korhan is offline  
Old Jun 26, 08, 1:53 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt,Marriott,AA
Posts: 460
Better living through chemicals. Xanax? Oxycodone? Used responsibly it can give the same effect and shorten a long flight significantly.
sallyerd is offline  
Old Jun 26, 08, 2:07 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DFW
Posts: 6,757
Originally Posted by wharvey View Post
Most airlines and federal laws prohibit the consumption of alcohol beverages which are not provided by the airlines.

So, I expect it is a NO.

William
I thought the policy was prohibiting the consumption of alcoholic beverages not served by <flight attendant, crew, whatever it is>. I remember reading of people who have brought, e.g., their own bottles of wine and had it served to them by crew. Albeit in the OP's case, this would be highly unlikely.

Just drop the $5 on each little bottle...stock up on a few when they come around and knock yourself out
thelark is offline  
Old Jun 26, 08, 2:47 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: PHL
Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,331
Originally Posted by Korhan View Post
Can I buy a bottle of Baileys or Starbucks Cream Liquor from a duty free shop and take it in the plane and just ask for ice for the whole trip?
IIRC alcohol purchased in a duty free shop is placed in a sealed plastic bag that indicates you're not allowed to open it during flight.
USPhilly is offline  
Old Jun 26, 08, 3:19 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Princeton, NJ; Lviv Ukraine
Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Posts: 2,725
Generally you are only allowed to consume alcohol served by a flight attendant. Anything else, regardless of whether it is purchased duty-free or not, regardless of whether it was sealed or not, is technically verboten.

That said, it is against the rules at most sporting arenas to bring your own alcohol (ostensibly for issues of public safety, but in reality, so you can get overcharged $12 for a beer), but people have been known to sneak alcohol in hip-flasks or pouring vodka into 7-up bottles and the like, and drinking furtively so they don't get noticed.

So someone bent on doing the same onto a plane could either try to get alcohol past security (it used to be quite easy; now, you're pretty much restricted to the small minibar/airplane-sized containers in a zip-loc bag unless you want to sneak a non-metallic, discreet, hip-flask through the metal detector), or you would purchase at a Duty-free.

In the US and a few other places, duty-free merchandise is handed to you as you're boarding, offering fewer opportunities to do anything with it. In most countries, however, you have full access to the contents airside. In theory (whether sealed or not, typically not), you could go to a bathroom, open up the bottle, pour some of it into another more discreet container, and then surreptitiously drink out of it or pour it into the glass of Coke you get from the FA.

Or you could go to your local liquor store and buy a bunch of those little airplane-sized bottles; they'll cost you $2 or so a piece. You CAN take these through security in your Zip-loc bag, subject to the restrictions. They do have <3.3 ounces. But you still are not supposed to drink them on board. I guess if you drink Bailey's, you could order one Bailey's from the FA, pay the $5 (NB price is going up on many airlines), and then keep replacing the empty bottle with a full one that's in your pocket ...

Not that I'm advocating any of this, of course!

A sure-fire way in countries where you buy duty-free airside and you can take it right out of the store is to drink it before boarding ... you can carry on alcohol that you've already ingested :-)
vsevolod4 is offline  
Old Jun 26, 08, 3:27 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: 60137
Posts: 10,376
Originally Posted by Korhan View Post
Darn it...

So anyone knows any powdered/tablet/teabagged kind of alcohol that I can just dip in the water and it becomes a cocktail :P ? (That would in deed be very sweet )
Nyquil and soda. Tastes like spoor...gets you where you want to go.
sonofzeus is offline  
Old Jun 26, 08, 3:59 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: DFW
Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Posts: 4,891
Question 1: Are you legally allowed to serve yourself alcohol which you brought on board a flight on DL (or any other carrier originating in the US)?
Answer: No.

Question 2: Are you legally allowed to pack airline-size bottles (or any other container with volume =< 3 oz) of alcoholic beverages into a 1 Qt ziplock baggie and bring them in your carry-on luggage?
Answer: YES; subject to the same limits as any other liquids.

There was a thread about Question 2 in the TS&S forum; one of the posters stated that he had brought as many as 10 airline bottles in his ziplock before.

What you do with the bottles in your carry-on luggage is your business (practically; not legally), as long as you keep it private. I have seen multiple pax "spice up" their beverages midflight with booze from their carry-on luggage.

ETA: Question 3: Can one just purchase a bottle of liquor duty-free and drink it on board?
Answer: Again, possible but quite illegal - and harder to get away with; how would one explain the open bottle at the destination? Or does one plan to drink the whole 700 ml bottle in-flight?

Last edited by nd_eric_77; Jun 26, 08 at 4:11 pm Reason: added Question 3
nd_eric_77 is offline  
Old Jun 26, 08, 4:03 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DFW
Posts: 6,757
Originally Posted by vsevolod4 View Post
Generally you are only allowed to consume alcohol served by a flight attendant. Anything else, regardless of whether it is purchased duty-free or not, regardless of whether it was sealed or not, is technically verboten.

That said, it is against the rules at most sporting arenas to bring your own alcohol (ostensibly for issues of public safety, but in reality, so you can get overcharged $12 for a beer), but people have been known to sneak alcohol in hip-flasks or pouring vodka into 7-up bottles and the like, and drinking furtively so they don't get noticed.

So someone bent on doing the same onto a plane could either try to get alcohol past security (it used to be quite easy; now, you're pretty much restricted to the small minibar/airplane-sized containers in a zip-loc bag unless you want to sneak a non-metallic, discreet, hip-flask through the metal detector), or you would purchase at a Duty-free.

In the US and a few other places, duty-free merchandise is handed to you as you're boarding, offering fewer opportunities to do anything with it. In most countries, however, you have full access to the contents airside. In theory (whether sealed or not, typically not), you could go to a bathroom, open up the bottle, pour some of it into another more discreet container, and then surreptitiously drink out of it or pour it into the glass of Coke you get from the FA.

Or you could go to your local liquor store and buy a bunch of those little airplane-sized bottles; they'll cost you $2 or so a piece. You CAN take these through security in your Zip-loc bag, subject to the restrictions. They do have <3.3 ounces. But you still are not supposed to drink them on board. I guess if you drink Bailey's, you could order one Bailey's from the FA, pay the $5 (NB price is going up on many airlines), and then keep replacing the empty bottle with a full one that's in your pocket ...

Not that I'm advocating any of this, of course!

A sure-fire way in countries where you buy duty-free airside and you can take it right out of the store is to drink it before boarding ... you can carry on alcohol that you've already ingested :-)
Wow...it seems like you've really thought this one out
thelark is offline  
Old Jun 26, 08, 4:12 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Posts: 2,620
Originally Posted by sallyerd View Post
Better living through chemicals. Xanax? Oxycodone? Used responsibly it can give the same effect and shorten a long flight significantly.
I'm amazed noone has bitten on this post.
DillMan is offline  
Old Jun 26, 08, 4:17 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: IAH
Programs: formerly UA GS, now lowly MM lifetime gold :(
Posts: 1,204
With FA service what it is in coach these days, the chances of you being caught pouring your own are basically zero.
osxanalyst is offline  
Old Jun 26, 08, 4:27 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Homebase: CAE - Formerly, YUL
Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Posts: 2,182
Personally, when I go across the pond... I want to sleep. Ambien works great for that!

JP
HereAndThereSC is offline  
Old Jun 26, 08, 4:51 pm
  #14  
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 25,445
Please continue to follow this thread in the Delta Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
obscure2k is offline  
Old Jun 26, 08, 4:55 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Posts: 10,839
I was in Baton Rouge last week and sitting at the bar before my flight. The bartender offered "to go" cups (regular white foam with lid and straw). That's probably another way you could do it.
AndyTLe is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: