Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF, these are the MCTs for MSP:

For DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes
D-I: 35 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 15 minutes (30 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)
I-I: 1 hour 15 minutes (35 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)

Generic online and offline connection times:
D-D: 40 minutes
D-I: 40 minutes
I-D: 1 hour
I-I: 1 hour

Between DL and another carrier: 3 hours 30 minutes
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2007, 7:17 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Tight, very tight....

If you don't have checked luggage you may be able to make it, but it will be tight. With a seat near the front you may get out quickly, passport check can take anywhere between 10 min and 30min under normal circumstances, with checked luggage there may be a wait for that and then you need to go through TSA security again. On a good day you can be out in 30 min. from when the plane door opens, if you are unlucky it may be an hour. Then you need to get to your next gate. Make sure you know where that is. Good luck!
Old Apr 2, 2007, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1P
Thanks for the quick reply! Given that I will have checked luggage, I think I'll try for a routing through DTW with a bit more time... Thank you!
Old Apr 2, 2007, 9:44 pm

1:15 should be enough time, even with bags. By that time the incoming NRT flight will have already gone through CBP and there should be no other international passengers besides your AMS flight. Luggage usually comes out pretty quickly from there, and there are luggage recheck desks directly to your left after handing over your declaration card.

I wouldn't hesitate too much, especially since DTW customs/immigration can take much longer than MSP at times.

Even if you were to miss your connection to RDU, they would put you on a follow-up flight. There are options through both DTW and MEM later on, and there is still one more MSP-RDU nonstop after yours at 1:05pm.

Plus you'll get more miles by going through MSP.
Old May 29, 2007, 2:44 am

Programs: nw ge, spg
60 minutes connection at MSP

Been reading for sometimes.

Did a search and saw the minimum connection time trhough MSP at
http://www.nwa.com/travel/timetable/help.pdf

I'll be traveling from YVR to NRT via MSP. Reaching MSP at 2:05pm and departing MSP at 3:05pm. This should be a NW domestic city to NW International city connection with 40 minutes minimum connection time. How close am I cutting the connection time? I bought the ticket at nwa.com.

Thanks.
Old May 29, 2007, 6:02 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by MMKE
Been reading for sometimes.

Did a search and saw the minimum connection time trhough MSP at
http://www.nwa.com/travel/timetable/help.pdf

I'll be traveling from YVR to NRT via MSP. Reaching MSP at 2:05pm and departing MSP at 3:05pm. This should be a NW domestic city to NW International city connection with 40 minutes minimum connection time. How close am I cutting the connection time? I bought the ticket at nwa.com.

Thanks.
You'll clear US customs and imigration at VYR, so you're inbound flight *is* just like a (US) domestic one to an international flight.

Bob H.
Old May 29, 2007, 6:08 am

You should have plenty of time to make the connection barring no delays. I wouldn't be concerned.
Old May 29, 2007, 7:03 am

Programs: nw ge, spg
Super & thanks for the answers.
Old May 29, 2007, 8:14 am

Programs: DL Silver, HH diamond, Midwest Miles (RIP), NWA WP (RIP)
I think it's hard to imagine a tight connection at MSP. Sure, it would be tight from F13 over to the end of B or A, but you still wouldn't need an hour. It seems to me that NWA is good about waiting for you if they know you're in the building and likely on your way to the gate. We had a flight from YYC and got on the earlier flight to MKE (which was leaving 15 mins after our arrival)...the guy was really nice about rushing us onto the flight!

That said, I love having a tight connection on the way home (especially when coming in from SLC on DL...those bags have never made it once) because the bags might not make it, which means you get the little amenity pack and the bags come right to your door!!! How much better can you get. That really goes a long way to diffusing unhappiness about delayed bags, I would think! When it happened on USAir and we got nothing, I was kinda peeved.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 5:59 pm

MSP - 43 mins connection time at noon

I'm looking at SFO-MSP-JAX on Monday May 12:

NW368 SFO-MSP 0630-1212
NW525 MSP-JAX 1255-1710

Do you think we'll make it (2 people)? Historically, how far are the gates? We can pack with just carry-on if we have to.

If we miss that flight, there is a MSP-DTW-JAX at 1505-2135. Any idea on what our chances are? We do not have status on NW.

rgds,
drew
Old Feb 18, 2008, 6:02 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
You can get anywhere in less than 20 minutes. With those flights you will not have to deal with A and B concourse. Should be an easy connection.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 6:59 pm

Programs: NW GE
You'll be more than fine assuming no delays. 757 will probably come in at C or F and the A320 to Jax will probably leave from C or F as well.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 7:07 pm

Programs: Delta Pb Medallion
Assuming no delays I think you can make it. Your bags... that's another story. I would not check any.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 7:19 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by cs19
Assuming no delays I think you can make it. Your bags... that's another story. I would not check any.
Or, if they don't make it, let NW deliver them for you when they get into JAX.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 7:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HH Diamond
Plenty of time. If you are lucky, you might be a few minutes early eastbound.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 4:58 pm

thanks for all the replies ^

rgds,
drew

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.