Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF, these are the MCTs for MSP:

For DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes
D-I: 35 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 15 minutes (30 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)
I-I: 1 hour 15 minutes (35 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)

Generic online and offline connection times:
D-D: 40 minutes
D-I: 40 minutes
I-D: 1 hour
I-I: 1 hour

Between DL and another carrier: 3 hours 30 minutes
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2004, 2:22 pm
NNH

Location: LA, after growing up in London and living all over Europe
Programs: Ex-BD, ex-NW, ex-AA, BA Gold
I've only once done a domestic-international connection, at ATL with DL, and with 105 minutes we only just made the plane, mainly because the TSA wanted to do another full check before letting go to the gate. I'm hoping that NW and the MSP TSA are less catastrophically inefficient.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
At MSP, this should not be a problem. As I recall, the LGW flights either depart from the end of F or beginning of G. And getting all the way across MSP in this time is not a problem. You don't leave the secure area.
tom
Old Jul 22, 2004, 2:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NNH
I've only once done a domestic-international connection, at ATL with DL, and with 105 minutes we only just made the plane, mainly because the TSA wanted to do another full check before letting go to the gate. I'm hoping that NW and the MSP TSA are less catastrophically inefficient.
You will not need to go threw any rescreening in MSP. Just get off you flight and head ove to the LGW flight. You can walk it and make it in 10-15 min.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 2:36 pm

Programs: Skyteam, *A, 1W
You'll be pleasantly surprise how MSP is being handled in comparison to other major hubs in the country like ORD or ATL.
You don't have to be re-screened for connecting to an international flight at MSP.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 3:22 pm

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
You do need to be on board the plane at MSP 30 minutes before international departure. That's one thing they can be picky about.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 3:24 pm

84 minutes would be tight for a connection coming back FROM LGW, because you need to go through customs and immigration when you arrive in the US. But on the outbound, you should be good to go. Have fun!
Old Jul 22, 2004, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
84 minutes is plenty. I've connected on SJC-MSP-LGW with only 56 minutes between, gotten in late, and made it.

They are loathe to release the Gatwick flight and leave people behind, since that's only a single daily flight.

Steve
Old Jul 22, 2004, 5:12 pm
NNH

Location: LA, after growing up in London and living all over Europe
Programs: Ex-BD, ex-NW, ex-AA, BA Gold
Thanks for all the advice. I've got a couple of hours in Detroit on the way back, so I should be fine, and it wouldn't be a disaster if I got pushed onto a later LAX flight instead of my prefered SNA flight.

As an aside, what do think are my chances of an upgrade on the domestic segments, as a lowly Silver?

Last edited by NNH; Jul 22, 2004 at 5:17 pm Reason: Edited for upgrade question
Old Jul 23, 2004, 7:22 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by NNH
Thanks for all the advice. I've got a couple of hours in Detroit on the way back, so I should be fine, and it wouldn't be a disaster if I got pushed onto a later LAX flight instead of my prefered SNA flight.

As an aside, what do think are my chances of an upgrade on the domestic segments, as a lowly Silver?
I have difficulty with SNA upgrades as a platinum, so I imagine as a silver you should probably have pretty low expectations - depending on the day of the week you're travelling.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Infinity
You'll be pleasantly surprise how MSP is being handled in comparison to other major hubs in the country like ORD or ATL.
You don't have to be re-screened for connecting to an international flight at MSP.
Not sure what happened to you, but you do not get rescreened in ATL when coming from domestic flights connecting to Intl.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:04 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
AC to NW connection in MSP

I've got an upcoming trip flying YHZ-YYZ-MSP-INL. The YHZ-MSP flights are on AC and the MSP-INL flight is on NW/XJ. I'm assuming that Air Canada will be able to ticket my bags all the way through (I know I have to claim them in YYZ to clear customs) but I'm wondering if there is somewhere airside in MSP where I can get my NW boarding pass or if I will have to go outside to the check-in desks?
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by fly_yag
I've got an upcoming trip flying YHZ-YYZ-MSP-INL. The YHZ-MSP flights are on AC and the MSP-INL flight is on NW/XJ. I'm assuming that Air Canada will be able to ticket my bags all the way through (I know I have to claim them in YYZ to clear customs) but I'm wondering if there is somewhere airside in MSP where I can get my NW boarding pass or if I will have to go outside to the check-in desks?
You can find any G/A not busy checking in a flight to print you boarding passes for your continuing segment on NW.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 3:05 pm

You should be able to check-in online at nwa.com up to 24 hours before your first NW segment. If you are unable to do this, you can stop by any idle-looking GA as slippahs suggested and ask them kindly if they would mind checking you in for your flight. You could also visit one of the two WorldClubs where they would happily check you in, change seats, etc. although that would mean purchasing a day pass at a minimum ($45) or a 60-day trial membership ($85).
Old Nov 23, 2006, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by fly_yag
You would do well to ask some knowledgeable persons on the AC forum (or phone AC directly) about interlining luggage. I know that AC has changed the interlining/baggage handling rules in the past year, and I'm not sure what is the most recent incarnation of the policy. I would **think** that you are ok if you are flying on a single ticket rather than several tickets ``glued'' together to make a single trip, but I'm really not sure.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1P
International connection of 1:15 in MSP?

Hi all,

I tried a few search terms but may have just not been clever enough... I was hoping someone could give me some guidance about a NW flight I have coming up. I'm flying NW41 from AMS-MSP and connecting with NW614 from MSP-RDU. NW614 leaves 1:15 after NW41 is scheduled to arrive. I've never cleared customs or done anything else related to international flight at MSP before... would anyone who has care to let me know what the odds of this working out will be?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.