Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Los Angeles (LAX): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2013, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Delta-Delta Minimum Connecting Times at LAX
(Note the below times apply only if both flights are DL-marketed; the MCTs may be different for flights marketed by other airlines)

Domestic - Domestic: 40 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT, then the MCT is 1 hour.
Domestic - International: 45 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT, then the MCT is 1 hour, unless you're flying ATL-LAX-PPT or JFK-LAX-PPT, in which case MCT is 45 minutes even if connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT.
International - Domestic: 1 hour 30 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it is considered a domestic arrival for MCT purposes and the domestic - domestic connection times above apply.
International - International: 1 hour 30 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it is considered a domestic arrival for MCT purposes and the domestic - international connection times above apply.
  • If your connection is from TBIT to TBIT, the MCT is 2 hours for an international-international connection.
  • If you're arriving from SYD and not connecting from TBIT to TBIT, the MCT is 1 hour, 50 minutes for an international-international connection. (If you're arriving from SYD and the connection is TBIT to TBIT, the 2 hour MCT in the bullet point above applies.)
  • If you're on one of the following flight routings, and the first flight arrives into TBIT, the MCT is 1 hour, 50 minutes for an international-international connection:
    • CUN-LAX-BNE
    • CUN-LAX-MEL
    • CUN-LAX-SJO
    • CUN-LAX-SYD
    • PVR-LAX-HND
    • HND-LAX-LHR
(These MCTs are accurate as of August 27, 2023.)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Love_Travel
Delta DL 876 lands at LAX at 10.36 AM at Terminal 3 GATE 38. I have to catch DL 1101 that departs 11.50 AM from Terminal 2 Gate 21. I will have no checked in Bag. Is this one hour connection time adequate? Can I walk from Terminal 3 to 2? Thanks
You can’t walk from. T3 to T2 without going through security. If you don’t have to wait for a bus it takes about 15 minutes to get between terminals, if you wave to wait it could be 30 minutes. You can make it but likely won’t have a ton of time.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by puck021
You can’t walk from. T3 to T2 without going through security. If you don’t have to wait for a bus it takes about 15 minutes to get between terminals, if you wave to wait it could be 30 minutes. You can make it but likely won’t have a ton of time.
I did a mileage run last week and went from T2 to T3 on the shuttle bus that runs from inside security on both sides (on the tarmac). Can't say how long the line will be when you go, but in my instance I waited about 10 minutes to board the bus, which took a few minutes to make the trip. All told, I would estimate the time from getting in line to walking into the terminal was less than 20 minutes, and that involved waiting for three buses. I'd assume that it is always quicker to take the bus than to walk unless you have Clear to get through security.
puck021 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
Thank you. I do have clear, but if the bus is quicker, I will have to take the bus.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Love_Travel
Thank you. I do have clear, but if the bus is quicker, I will have to take the bus.
The bus will be faster for sure.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Quicker walking between terminals landside if you have TSA Pre or CLEAR. I can do it in less than 10 minutes gate to gate; less than five if there are no lines.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
If i take the bus, there is no security and If I walk, I need to clear security? This arrangement is insane. Being XMAS tomorrow, i guess the airport is not crowded.

Last edited by Love_Travel; Dec 24, 2019 at 8:18 pm
Old Dec 26, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
FYI for this thread...

Old Dec 29, 2019, 3:29 pm

LAX connection and layover

We are flying Detroit to LA and then on to Honolulu. We have a 1 hr and 38 minute layover which should be fine unless we get delayed somehow. In winter anything is possible. I see that Delta operates out of two terminals in LA. Terminals 2 and 3. Do you experienced flyers think that it is likely that we will arrive and depart from the same terminal? I am hoping that will be the case.

Also, when searching for flights how much of a layover time do you tend to look for? I (not being a frequent flyer) am more comfortable with about a 2 hr layover. But on the other hand I don't want to be sitting around the airport for hours on end either.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Lots of information about LAX layovers here:

Long story short, you won't know until the day of the flight which terminal(s) your flights will arrive in and depart from. 1:38 is plenty for a domestic connection anywhere in the US; I generally look for at least 60 minute connections, and will accept lower if I know the connecting airport well and/or there's a good backup option if I miss the connection.
jalves likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 3:51 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rjack22
We are flying Detroit to LA and then on to Honolulu. We have a 1 hr and 38 minute layover which should be fine unless we get delayed somehow. In winter anything is possible. I see that Delta operates out of two terminals in LA. Terminals 2 and 3. Do you experienced flyers think that it is likely that we will arrive and depart from the same terminal? I am hoping that will be the case.

Also, when searching for flights how much of a layover time do you tend to look for? I (not being a frequent flyer) am more comfortable with about a 2 hr layover. But on the other hand I don't want to be sitting around the airport for hours on end either.
My usual business route is HNL-LAX-XXX and vice versa. You'll be in Terminal 2 or 3, and the transfer bus is about a 5-10 minute ride between the terminals. You won't know which terminal you will pull into, and even if you know on the Delta app, it can change. Your departing gate may change also between the terminals. I have seen the transfer bus line get long during the busy hours, and had to wait about 25-30 minutes once. Otherwise, I haven't seen it with any outrageous wait times.

There are Delta Lounges in both Terminal 2 and 3, and so if you have you long lay over, you can use the lounge facilities. Your connection time is plenty to transfer between the terminals.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 3:55 pm

J
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Lots of information about LAX layovers here:

I generally look for at least 60 minute connections, and will accept lower if I know the connecting airport well and/or there's a good backup option if I miss the connection.
I prefer 45-60 mins. I’ll only do less than 45 mins if there are other options and arriving later than scheduled isn’t a problem. I try to avoid anything more than a 90 min connection.

If I was sitting toward the back of the bus, I’d want a little more time.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 4:02 pm

R
Originally Posted by wchinchen
There are Delta Lounges in both Terminal 2 and 3, and so if you have you long lay over, you can use the lounge facilities.
OP didn’t mention whether they have Sky club access so this may not be an option. Also there is a priority pass lounge in term 2, but the hours are limited. Plus several PP lounges in Tom Bradley terminal which is adjacent to terminal 3. However, I don’t think it’s worth the trek unless you have at least 2 hrs.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond , Marriott Ambassador, Alaska MVP Gold, American Airlines Gold
That time should be fine. Hopefully you’re in the same terminal, but if not, you can take the shuttle. The FA or GAs will be able to tell you where to go.

The one thing I would say, depending on time/how many bags you have with you, is that it can sometimes be faster to walk landside and re-clear security, rather than dealing with the shuttle. YMMV, but if you have TSA Pre or Clear (or the combo), depending on what gate you’re connecting to, it’s certainly been faster for me before to just walk between the terminals rather than dealing with the shuttle.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by film_girl
That time should be fine. Hopefully you’re in the same terminal, but if not, you can take the shuttle. The FA or GAs will be able to tell you where to go.
While FAs now have this info on their SkyPros, it’s a slippery slope to suggest that pax routinely inquire FAs for connecting gates and terminal transfer information. I’ve seen FAs find pax proactively in relatively empty D1 cabins and during long ground delays and delayed flights, but otherwise FAs can be very busy, especially during the phases of flight when a pax would most want this information.

It’s not taboo, per se, but I recall a thread a while back where an FA was berated for not having rebooking options at his/her disposal when ground staff/res line are obviously the better option for this. I simply think it’s best in a public forum to expect FAs to perform their safety and inflight functions well and not encourage folks reading to expect more than that.

For anyone insterested in this info: gate information can be easily found self-serve via the app/website on the plane via free wifi access (must select messaging plan, but app and dl.dumb access is included) and during taxi, and all gates in cities where DL routinely connects passengers have monitors facing the exit of the jetbridge that display relevant connecting flights and gates for passengers deplaning. An agent meets every flight who can explain the best way to move between terminals, if necessary.
ryw likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by ekozie
For anyone insterested in this info: gate information can be easily found self-serve via the app/website on the plane via free wifi access (must select messaging plan, but app and dl.dumb access is included)
A nit... Actually, all you have to do is get to the page that lists the various wifi options that are available for free/purchase - you don't actually have to pick one of the options - simply getting to that page is sufficient. Once you've navigated to that selection page, the DL app and DL web site will work from your device for the duration of the flight. This is particularly useful if you (like me) like to wait for the ideal time for my selection of the T-Mobile "free hour of wifi" but am curious as to our progress throughout the flight.
ekozie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.