Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Los Angeles (LAX): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2013, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Delta-Delta Minimum Connecting Times at LAX
(Note the below times apply only if both flights are DL-marketed; the MCTs may be different for flights marketed by other airlines)

Domestic - Domestic: 40 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT, then the MCT is 1 hour.
Domestic - International: 45 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT, then the MCT is 1 hour, unless you're flying ATL-LAX-PPT or JFK-LAX-PPT, in which case MCT is 45 minutes even if connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT.
International - Domestic: 1 hour 30 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it is considered a domestic arrival for MCT purposes and the domestic - domestic connection times above apply.
International - International: 1 hour 30 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it is considered a domestic arrival for MCT purposes and the domestic - international connection times above apply.
  • If your connection is from TBIT to TBIT, the MCT is 2 hours for an international-international connection.
  • If you're arriving from SYD and not connecting from TBIT to TBIT, the MCT is 1 hour, 50 minutes for an international-international connection. (If you're arriving from SYD and the connection is TBIT to TBIT, the 2 hour MCT in the bullet point above applies.)
  • If you're on one of the following flight routings, and the first flight arrives into TBIT, the MCT is 1 hour, 50 minutes for an international-international connection:
    • CUN-LAX-BNE
    • CUN-LAX-MEL
    • CUN-LAX-SJO
    • CUN-LAX-SYD
    • PVR-LAX-HND
    • HND-LAX-LHR
(These MCTs are accurate as of August 27, 2023.)

Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Los Angeles (LAX): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2019, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As mentioned above, there is an airside shuttle between T2 and T3 (and international terminal). It shouldn't take more than about 20 minutes to transit between them (see graphic below).

https://www.delta.com/content/dam/de...02_Desktop.jpg
jalves likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by mnbp
A nit... Actually, all you have to do is get to the page that lists the various wifi options that are available for free/purchase - you don't actually have to pick one of the options - simply getting to that page is sufficient. Once you've navigated to that selection page, the DL app and DL web site will work from your device for the duration of the flight. This is particularly useful if you (like me) like to wait for the ideal time for my selection of the T-Mobile "free hour of wifi" but am curious as to our progress throughout the flight.
I learn something new every day!
Old Aug 3, 2021, 11:16 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 2MM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
DL-KLM Intl at LAX in 1 hour Doable?

Hi,

I'm booked on an Air France codeshare LAS-LAX (Delta) - AMS (KLM) - DUB (KLM). The cxn time is 1 hour 1 minute at LAX and apparently any earlier LAS-LAX flight is not part of the codeshare options.

Is that a realistic cxn (not sure if they still have inter-terminal bus service from T2/T3 to Bradley Intl) or whether there is some way to pre-arrange a Porsche ride.

This is a J ticket.

Thanks for any LAX DL-KLM transfer wisdom!
Old Aug 3, 2021, 11:44 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Mileage Lover
Hi,

I'm booked on an Air France codeshare LAS-LAX (Delta) - AMS (KLM) - DUB (KLM). The cxn time is 1 hour 1 minute at LAX and apparently any earlier LAS-LAX flight is not part of the codeshare options.

Is that a realistic cxn (not sure if they still have inter-terminal bus service from T2/T3 to Bradley Intl) or whether there is some way to pre-arrange a Porsche ride.

This is a J ticket.

Thanks for any LAX DL-KLM transfer wisdom!

There's a shuttle past security at T2 that'll take you to TBIT. Go to gate 21 and walk to the right of it. You'll see signs for shuttle. The 1hr connection might be a problem though, as I've been hearing that some Delta planes are parked at remote stands and passengers are bussed back to T2. Unless your flight from Vegas is early and parks at a T2 gate, 1hr connection might be a bit too tight. But from the looks of it, being DM will help with the tight connection. I don't think there's a way to reserve one in advance but it doesn't hurt to ask!
Old Aug 3, 2021, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by xjaehyun
There's a shuttle past security at T2 that'll take you to TBIT. Go to gate 21 and walk to the right of it. You'll see signs for shuttle. The 1hr connection might be a problem though, as I've been hearing that some Delta planes are parked at remote stands and passengers are bussed back to T2. Unless your flight from Vegas is early and parks at a T2 gate, 1hr connection might be a bit too tight. But from the looks of it, being DM will help with the tight connection. I don't think there's a way to reserve one in advance but it doesn't hurt to ask!
Thanks, was not aware of the remote. I moved from L.A. to the Seattle area in May so not aware of the current LAX fun. I'll see if Air France has any other routing options...sounds a little close for comfort.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL DM
I would definitely not do it. KLM departs from the new TBIT extension. That alone is a minimum 15 minute walk from where the bus from T2 drops you off at. If you're lucky enough that your flight actually has a gate at T2, add another 15 minutes to walk to the transfer bus, hope there isn't a long line, and take the bus over to TBIT...and if you do actually make it before the gate closes, prepare to be stopped by customs agents while they interrogate you on why are you sweating profusely before walking on the plane...
Old Aug 3, 2021, 1:05 pm

Programs: Some more than others
Would the LAS-LAX flight be mainline or DL Connection? Many of the Connection flights pull into hard stands (listed as Gate 24B), so even if you're first off then you'd have to wait for the bus to fill up, then go to T2 then TBIT.

Even for mainline DL it isn't unheard of to have to wait for gates to clear.

I'd be very nervous about this connection.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by SCChris
Would the LAS-LAX flight be mainline or DL Connection? Many of the Connection flights pull into hard stands (listed as Gate 24B), so even if you're first off then you'd have to wait for the bus to fill up, then go to T2 then TBIT.

Even for mainline DL it isn't unheard of to have to wait for gates to clear.

I'd be very nervous about this connection.
Thanks -- sounds like a call to Air France for other options is in order.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
AF2518 is mainline DL. It appears to land at a normal jetbridge gate most days. (No promise though) Also like most DL flights it normally lands a bit early.

I wouldn't book this without having a plan just in case. In that regard theres always one, if not 2 AF metal flights to CDG after KLM flight to AMS. Thus I would'nt be worried about misconnecting. DL will simply put you on AF to CDG and then CDG-DUB.
renila and WillBarrett_68 like this.
Old May 29, 2022, 7:10 am

Looking at international flight to domestic. Arriving Singapore Air at 1130am on a Saturday and final destination is AUS. What is the MCT, and what should I actually allow to feel safe for making the connection?
Old May 29, 2022, 7:41 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by diverg
Looking at international flight to domestic. Arriving Singapore Air at 1130am on a Saturday and final destination is AUS. What is the MCT, and what should I actually allow to feel safe for making the connection?
Do you have a US passport? Global Entry?

Will you be checking bags or traveling with carry-on bags only?

With a US passport, Global Entry an no checked bags, I've always made it from plane to curb in 15 minutes or less.

Without Global Entry and with checked luggage, it can take as long as two hours to clear immigration and customs, the wait for the bags at the luggage carousels can be as long as an hour. If traveling with a foreign passport and without Global Entry, experienced LAX travelers recommend three hours.

For more detailed information, please refer to the following threads in the Los Angeles forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-...rs-thread.html

Consolidated "Customs and Immigration at LAX" thread

​​​​
AeRoSpaceman likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; May 29, 2022 at 8:00 am Reason: Correct link
Old May 29, 2022, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
Do you have a US passport? Global Entry?

Will you be checking bags or traveling with carry-on bags only?

With a US passport, Global Entry an no checked bags, I've always made it from plane to curb in 15 minutes or less.

Without Global Entry and with checked luggage, it can take as long as two hours to clear immigration and customs, the wait for the bags at the luggage carousels can be as long as an hour. If traveling with a foreign passport and without Global Entry, experienced LAX travelers recommend three hours.

For more detailed information, please refer to the following threads in the Los Angeles forum:

Thank you. I will check out the links. To answer your questions though. US Citizen, have Global Entry, will have Clear and will have luggage. Traveling business class on the international flight.Most likely economy on the domestic leg.
Old May 29, 2022, 7:57 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Thank you. I will check out the links. To answer your questions though. US Citizen, have Global Entry, will have Clear and will have luggage. Traveling business class on the international flight.Most likely economy on the domestic leg.
Oops, I posted the same link twice.

This should be the link to the second thread:

Consolidated "Customs and Immigration at LAX" thread
Old May 29, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
The official MCT for SQ->DL at LAX is 3.5 hours. That said, you can make this connection in 2 hours, though it means you'll have to buy separate tickets and walk your bags from TBIT to the DL headhouse between T2 & T3 (it's not a long walk and much quicker than using the inter-terminal shuttle that goes the wrong way for this connection.)
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 5:29 pm

Hi, I am planning a family trip from PDX->LAX->YYZ (Toronto, CAN) around the start of the Holidays. Around Dec 15th and I will be traveling with a wife, baby, and a toddler.
Delta has a connection time of 1h20 minutes. I saw that the mean connection time is 1hr in the Wiki since Westjet is now in Terminal 3.
Is the wiki basically confirming that I need to find a longer time between flights? Basically 2hrs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.