Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Los Angeles (LAX): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2013, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Delta-Delta Minimum Connecting Times at LAX
(Note the below times apply only if both flights are DL-marketed; the MCTs may be different for flights marketed by other airlines)

Domestic - Domestic: 40 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT, then the MCT is 1 hour.
Domestic - International: 45 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT, then the MCT is 1 hour, unless you're flying ATL-LAX-PPT or JFK-LAX-PPT, in which case MCT is 45 minutes even if connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT.
International - Domestic: 1 hour 30 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it is considered a domestic arrival for MCT purposes and the domestic - domestic connection times above apply.
International - International: 1 hour 30 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it is considered a domestic arrival for MCT purposes and the domestic - international connection times above apply.
  • If your connection is from TBIT to TBIT, the MCT is 2 hours for an international-international connection.
  • If you're arriving from SYD and not connecting from TBIT to TBIT, the MCT is 1 hour, 50 minutes for an international-international connection. (If you're arriving from SYD and the connection is TBIT to TBIT, the 2 hour MCT in the bullet point above applies.)
  • If you're on one of the following flight routings, and the first flight arrives into TBIT, the MCT is 1 hour, 50 minutes for an international-international connection:
    • CUN-LAX-BNE
    • CUN-LAX-MEL
    • CUN-LAX-SJO
    • CUN-LAX-SYD
    • PVR-LAX-HND
    • HND-LAX-LHR
(These MCTs are accurate as of August 27, 2023.)

Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Los Angeles (LAX): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: DELTA Skymiles:GOLD
Booked OGG-LAX-JFK
5:30AM arrival into LAX and the JFK flight departs 6:05 (Was technically a 41 minute connection when I booked it)

Am I being stupid to keep this or should I just change this.

P.S. Traveling with wife and 2 kids.

Thanks
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
MCT at LAX for a domestic-domestic connection is 40 minutes; your 35 minute connection is below that. You should absolutely change it.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Originally Posted by Playsmart
Booked OGG-LAX-JFK
5:30AM arrival into LAX and the JFK flight departs 6:05 (Was technically a 41 minute connection when I booked it)

Am I being stupid to keep this or should I just change this.

P.S. Traveling with wife and 2 kids.

Thanks

I'd certainly advise you to take a later connection.

Last edited by rrz518; Nov 6, 2019 at 1:31 pm Reason: My answer was ill informed!
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by rrz518
Depends....but if you have to get thru customs w/your family
While I agree with your final conclusion, I feel the need to point out that OGG is in the US .
Zorak likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Talking

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
While I agree with your final conclusion, I feel the need to point out that OGG is in the US .
Oh my...LOL. Had to look it up, never been to Hawaii!!! I guess I had the international terminal on my brain wired for that early arrival!
Zorak likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Would the T2/T3 airside walkway be back up and running by June 2020? My wife and I have a DL Vacations trip booked (from their awesome vacation promo earlier this year) to HNL and our connection from ATL is 41 minutes. My wife is not handicap but due to knee issues cannot walk at a brisk pace if needed. If the walkway connector is not back up and running it seems that we have 2 choices. Take the airside shuttle bus or leave secure area, go landside and walk to the other terminal and clear security again if we have to switch terminals. Praying we arrive and depart from the same terminal. I have requested wheelchair service for her but not sure if that will help or hinder. Any tips or suggestions. TIA!!
Old Nov 14, 2019, 5:30 pm

[QUOTE=AeRoSpaceman;31738058]Would the T2/T3 airside walkway be back up and running by June 2020? QUOTE]

I suspect there will still not be t2/t3 walking connection (inside security) yet at that time. But guess on my part. I would say you are certainly cutting it close if need to go between 2 and 3, based on my experience at LAX
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
Would the T2/T3 airside walkway be back up and running by June 2020? My wife and I have a DL Vacations trip booked (from their awesome vacation promo earlier this year) to HNL and our connection from ATL is 41 minutes. My wife is not handicap but due to knee issues cannot walk at a brisk pace if needed. If the walkway connector is not back up and running it seems that we have 2 choices. Take the airside shuttle bus or leave secure area, go landside and walk to the other terminal and clear security again if we have to switch terminals. Praying we arrive and depart from the same terminal. I have requested wheelchair service for her but not sure if that will help or hinder. Any tips or suggestions. TIA!!
Doubtful it'll be in place. FWIW, there's never been one, this is brand new build. However from just visuals, they do seem to be prioritizing getting this built.

Regardless, normally both ATL and HNL flights operate from T2. There's no promise this won't change, but in general will hold true.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 8:30 pm

Have a flight next week PVG to LAX to MCI all on Delta. Have a 1hr 41min transfer window. By the looks of it, the transfer will be TBIT to T3. Is this realistic? Will the connection success depend on customs and security times?
Old Dec 14, 2019, 10:24 pm

I know it is "Schedule Change Saturday" and I am hoping what I am seeing sticks and it is just not back end nonsense until the schedules are updated. I have posted before here how I have an upcoming PNS-ATL-LAX-HNL RT in June 2020. Our connections at LAX were 41 minutes (outbound & inbound), (please see post 756). Our connections are now down do 38 minutes each way at LAX which is below MCT for domestic to domestic. I spoke with a DL Vacations agent a couple weeks ago expressing doubt about making the connection and was told that there will most likely be a schedule change that will allow you to make changes. What should I do in this case as we were already worried to begin with as my spouse cannot walk fast if needed?? TIA everyone!

UPDATE: Spoke with DL Vacations early this AM on the 15th after the schedule change took and the 38 min connections at LAX outbound and inbound were still present. The nice representative who was actually a supervisor said I have the ability to change my schedule now but I would need to contact the "Schedule Change Desk" and they are only open to 7am-7pm CST. Called in at 7:30am this morning and was told that they see the note from the supervisor but unfortunately I wasn't told that the schedule change desk is not open on the weekends. So will try again tomorrow morning and see what happens. I've been trying to figure out new routes so I can provide it to them but I don't think I am having any luck or am just to tired.. Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA..

Last edited by AeRoSpaceman; Dec 15, 2019 at 9:55 pm Reason: Update
Old Dec 16, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
I know it is "Schedule Change Saturday" and I am hoping what I am seeing sticks and it is just not back end nonsense until the schedules are updated. I have posted before here how I have an upcoming PNS-ATL-LAX-HNL RT in June 2020. Our connections at LAX were 41 minutes (outbound & inbound), (please see post 756). Our connections are now down do 38 minutes each way at LAX which is below MCT for domestic to domestic. I spoke with a DL Vacations agent a couple weeks ago expressing doubt about making the connection and was told that there will most likely be a schedule change that will allow you to make changes. What should I do in this case as we were already worried to begin with as my spouse cannot walk fast if needed?? TIA everyone!

UPDATE: Spoke with DL Vacations early this AM on the 15th after the schedule change took and the 38 min connections at LAX outbound and inbound were still present. The nice representative who was actually a supervisor said I have the ability to change my schedule now but I would need to contact the "Schedule Change Desk" and they are only open to 7am-7pm CST. Called in at 7:30am this morning and was told that they see the note from the supervisor but unfortunately I wasn't told that the schedule change desk is not open on the weekends. So will try again tomorrow morning and see what happens. I've been trying to figure out new routes so I can provide it to them but I don't think I am having any luck or am just to tired.. Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA..
I would ask to be routed PNS-ATL-HNL. That's true D1 service rather than domestic first. You can leave at 7:30am (44 min connection) or 6:25am (1h53m connection) which sounds like a better option given your spouse's mobility. Both arrive in HNL at 2:20pm.

For the return, I'd probably ask for the same. HNL-ATL leaves at 4:40pm, so you get to enjoy most of your last day and then have a long redeye flight in D1. You'd have 3 hours in ATL if you take the 10:29am connection to PNS which gives you plenty of time for a shower in the SC if you want.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by mattp1987
I would ask to be routed PNS-ATL-HNL. That's true D1 service rather than domestic first. You can leave at 7:30am (44 min connection) or 6:25am (1h53m connection) which sounds like a better option given your spouse's mobility. Both arrive in HNL at 2:20pm.

For the return, I'd probably ask for the same. HNL-ATL leaves at 4:40pm, so you get to enjoy most of your last day and then have a long redeye flight in D1. You'd have 3 hours in ATL if you take the 10:29am connection to PNS which gives you plenty of time for a shower in the SC if you want.
That routing would be ideal for us. Have a feeling they might not have the authority to move us straight into D1 service, but it does not hurt to ask. Thank you! I did not call today as I was busy this morning and once the whole IT debacle started I'd figured it would be best to let those travelling today have the phone agents available to them then deal with my issue. I'll try tomorrow and update here.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
That routing would be ideal for us. Have a feeling they might not have the authority to move us straight into D1 service, but it does not hurt to ask. Thank you! I did not call today as I was busy this morning and once the whole IT debacle started I'd figured it would be best to let those travelling today have the phone agents available to them then deal with my issue. I'll try tomorrow and update here.
I wouldn’t even mention that the flight is Delta One when talking to the agent. I’d just say that your connection in LAX was reduced below 40 minutes and you were hoping to switch to a more reasonable connection (if they give push back this is when I’d mention breaking MCT). Then spoon feed the agent your desired flight numbers. Make it easy for them to say yes.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by mattp1987
I wouldn’t even mention that the flight is Delta One when talking to the agent. I’d just say that your connection in LAX was reduced below 40 minutes and you were hoping to switch to a more reasonable connection (if they give push back this is when I’d mention breaking MCT). Then spoon feed the agent your desired flight numbers. Make it easy for them to say yes.
SUCCESS!!!! Followed your instructions and the schedule change agent moved us to the nonstop from ATL-HNL and back in D1 cabin!! We are so excited. Thank you so much for your help. Peace of mind is back!!

Edit to add: Just wanted to add something here. My biggest worry was not moving to the nonstop but moving into a different cabin/class of service. Turns out it was the opposite. The agent said she would have to get a supervisor on the phone because she would have to "finagle" it because were were moving from a connection to a nonstop. Changing to D1 never once came up in our conversation.
TWA884, mattp1987 and Zorak like this.

Last edited by AeRoSpaceman; Dec 18, 2019 at 6:54 pm Reason: Edit to Add
Old Dec 24, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
I hour transit time Delta Connection at LAX Terminal 3 to Terminal 2

Delta DL 876 lands at LAX at 10.36 AM at Terminal 3 GATE 38. I have to catch DL 1101 that departs 11.50 AM from Terminal 2 Gate 21. I will have no checked in Bag. Is this one hour connection time adequate? Can I walk from Terminal 3 to 2? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.