Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by fire0nice228
We are flying from Detroit to Atlanta and on to Punta Cana (PUC) via Southwest Airlines...
I'm assuming your DTW-ATL flight is on Delta?

Also.... Punta Cana is PUJ.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by fire0nice228
Hello all

Sorry for a newbie question but I am looking for advice on connection info in ATL

We are flying from Detroit to Atlanta and on to Punta Cana (PUC) via Southwest Airlines on a cheap Wanna Get Away ticket.. Our layover in ATL is 1 hour and 5 minutes. So my research seems to vary wildly on whether this is enough time or not. As I interpret, it will be just like a connection on a normal flight, we will not have to collect bags and go through security on the way to Terminal F (International).

We are flying mid May so no expected delays in Detroit but storms in atlanta could be a problem as well?
This is the Delta forum, but I'm guessing your entire ticket is on Southwest? If so, you have everything correct, and 65 minutes is plenty of time as long as the first flight is on-time. If the first flight is on DL and the second flight is on Southwest, then you really have two separate tickets and will have to pick up your bag between your flights. 65 minutes isn't nearly enough time in that case.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:27 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Are you on ... separate tickets??
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
This is the Delta forum, but I'm guessing your entire ticket is on Southwest? If so, you have everything correct, and 65 minutes is plenty of time as long as the first flight is on-time. If the first flight is on DL and the second flight is on Southwest, then you really have two separate tickets and will have to pick up your bag between your flights. 65 minutes isn't nearly enough time in that case.
Oh I apologize all on the Delta issue.

Yes my entire ticket is on Southwest. We have a super early flight out of Detroit at 6:30AM so I hope for no delays - Shouldnt have any worries of snow or ice that time of year but a rain storm or mechanical or other issue hopefully not.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:15 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
Question Connecting in ATL (some advice) -- KE to DL

Hi All,

I'm flying from ICN-ATL on KE, and I'm supposed to arrive at 9:10 AM. I need to get from ATL to SFO, and there's a non-stop flight on DL that departs at 10:50 AM. Do you all think this is a doable connection (on two separate tickets)? I'm flying in J on KE, and I'm a DM and have GE. I don't intend to check bags, though TBH, I wonder how strict KE is with cabin baggage for premium pax. The alternative pretty long layover in ATL (departing at like 2:30 PM), or pay more for a one-stop flight and arrive later.

What do you all think? Is this connection doable?

Last edited by UVAhoo06; Dec 24, 2018 at 1:37 am
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I wouldn't advise such a short connection using two separate tickets. If anything delays you getting to your ATL-SFO flight you will be out of luck unless you find a sympathetic agent willing to let you standby for a later flight.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
KE isn't typically strict on carry on bags. I mean if it looks obviously too large then they'll say something, but it's not typical that they make you weigh your carry on or put it in a sizer.

I fly ICN-ATL once a year to visit for the past 7 years or so. All seasons I come and go. And at that morning time, there is NO ONE in the F terminal. I use Mobile Passport and they literally had to open the line for me since I was the only one.

But as you know in America you have to wait for your bags and then re-check them.....so IMO that's a VERY short connection. Too close for comfort. KE to ATL is typically on time and never has huge delays on arrival (it will depart usually 20 mins after schedule but they pad the schedule so it's on time to land). For instance, today's flight was 57 mins late for departure but arrived on time.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:00 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
1:40 would be plenty if this were a single ticket, but as two separate tickets, I wouldn't risk it, for the reasons mentioned above. I do have to ask about the elephant in the room: can you fly KE ICN-SFO non-stop instead? Going through ATL makes the journey 3600 miles longer.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:01 am

Thanks for the advice. I just wish there was a flight that left closer to noon rather than at like 2 something. I'm definitely leaning toward either sitting tight or finding some other one-stop flight to SFO.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Thanks for the advice. I just wish there was a flight that left closer to noon rather than at like 2 something. I'm definitely leaning toward either sitting tight or finding some other one-stop flight to SFO.
Did you look into changing the ke flight to icn-sfo?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Did you look into changing the ke flight to icn-sfo?
Unfortunately, I'm not able to really do that because the ATL-SFO trip is a personal trip rather than a work thing. At the moment, the non-stop in late February is pricing out at $338 one-way in K class. I'm wondering if I'm buying too early, or if this is pretty typical for this captive market...
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:54 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Maybe I'm crazy, but given OP has GE and does not plan to check bags, and there's now a Precheck lane in the international security screening area, and although I have no direct experience everyone says DL is pretty forgiving if you "misconnect" on separate tickets even due to a delayed partner flight, I think I'd be ok with 1h40 here and I feel like I'm usually more conservative about connecting times and airport arrival etc than most (so this feels weird to me )
gooselee likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Are you a US/CANADIAN citizen or from a visa waiver country and have previously entered using your current ESTA? If so 1.40 is plenty of time. There will be a bag recheck right outside customs. They can tag your bags and issue BP. No need to go to domestic checkin.

IF by chance get in late, DL will rebook you even though on separate ticket. They do this when you fly in on a close partner ticket and they've issued the ticket for your missed flight.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by Zorak
Maybe I'm crazy, but given OP has GE and does not plan to check bags, and there's now a Precheck lane in the international security screening area, and although I have no direct experience everyone says DL is pretty forgiving if you "misconnect" on separate tickets even due to a delayed partner flight, I think I'd be ok with 1h40 here and I feel like I'm usually more conservative about connecting times and airport arrival etc than most (so this feels weird to me )
Did you get all that in one sentence without taking a breath?
Zorak likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Are you a US/CANADIAN citizen or from a visa waiver country and have previously entered using your current ESTA? If so 1.40 is plenty of time. There will be a bag recheck right outside customs. They can tag your bags and issue BP. No need to go to domestic checkin.

IF by chance get in late, DL will rebook you even though on separate ticket. They do this when you fly in on a close partner ticket and they've issued the ticket for your missed flight.
I’m a US citizen. I didn’t realize that DL would rebook me if I’m on a separate, close partner ticket! So, that’s definitely good to know.

Out of curiosity, what airlines are considered “close” partners?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.