Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF these are the MCTs for JFK:
DL to DL Connections
  • D-D: 35 minutes
  • D-I: 45 minutes except 55 minutes if connecting to HAV.
  • I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland, AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour 55 minutes if coming from HAV. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-D times above apply.
  • I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland or AUA; 45 minutes if coming from BDA, FPO, or NAS; 2 hours if arriving on a DL-marketed flight that arrives into Terminal 1. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-I times above apply.
DL to/from AF
  • DL to AF, D-I: 1 hour 40 minutes until 11/23/23; 1 hour 15 minutes starting 11/24/23
  • DL to AF, I-I: 2 hours
  • AF to DL, I-D: 2 hours 15 minutes until 12/31/23; 1 hour 45 minutes starting 1/1/24
  • AF to DL, I-I: 2 hours
DL to/from KL
  • DL to KL, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to KL, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
DL to/from VS:
  • DL to VS, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to VS, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
Other connections
LA to DL I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes until 7/21/23, 1 hour 35 minutes starting 7/22/23.
LA to DL I-I: 1 hour 30 minutes

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 1 hour
D-I: 1 hour 15 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 45 minutes
I-I: 2 hours
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:22 pm

Thanks bennos and Oakshadow for the help ... will have backup flights in my head just in case, but should be fine.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:26 am

Hello Everyone,

I am wondering if I am cutting it too close.

I will be flying on dec 26 out of LGA at 11 am and arrive at 1:35pm in ATL

1 hour 25m layover in ATL connecting flight leaves at 3:00pm

Also, it has been years since I have made a domestic connecting flight and I am wondering if I check a bag will I have to get it or will they take it to my next flight?

TIA for any inputs

Last edited by Deltagal; Oct 17, 2012 at 1:40 pm
Old Oct 17, 2012, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Deltagal
Hello Everyone,

I am wondering if I am cutting it too close.

I will be fly on dec 26 out of LGA at 11 am and arrive at 1:35pm in ATL

1 hour 25m layover in ATL connecting flight leaves at 3:00pm

Also, it has been years since I have made a domestic connecting flight and I am wondering if I check a bag will I have to get it or will they take it to my next flight?

TIA for any inputs
Your bag will be checked to your final destination so you will not need to pick it up in ATL as LGA-ATL is a domestic flight
Old Oct 17, 2012, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
And do not be upset if your flight hangs on the LGA tarmac for anywhere up to an hour before it can take off. The extra time is built into the schedule and the time is almost always made up.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by monitor
And do not be upset if your flight hangs on the LGA tarmac for anywhere up to an hour before it can take off. The extra time is built into the schedule and the time is almost always made up.

So you think I'm ok with time?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Deltagal
So you think I'm ok with time?
I would book that connection for myself. Yes, you should be OK.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by monitor
I would book that connection for myself. Yes, you should be OK.
Thank you!!
Old Nov 2, 2012, 1:05 pm

Hi everyone, I'm flying to NY (JFK) from London, and on my return will be coming from Orlando (so one way MCO to JFK and then my return JFK to LHR)

How much time should I give myself between the two flights? The flight to London will be Delta, and MCO to JFK looks like it will either be Delta or Jetblue depending on how long I will need. Also if it is Delta all round, is there a way to have my bags checked through to London from Orlando, or will I have to pick them up and recheck in?

I'm also an Australian citizen, and any tips for getting through security/customs quicker?
Old Nov 3, 2012, 7:15 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by tubbletian
Hi everyone, I'm flying to NY (JFK) from London, and on my return will be coming from Orlando (so one way MCO to JFK and then my return JFK to LHR)

How much time should I give myself between the two flights? The flight to London will be Delta, and MCO to JFK looks like it will either be Delta or Jetblue depending on how long I will need. Also if it is Delta all round, is there a way to have my bags checked through to London from Orlando, or will I have to pick them up and recheck in?
Your life will be easier if you book MCO-JFK-LHR all on DL. Even if you book on separate tickets, MCO should be able to through-check your bag to LHR, you won't need to re-clear security at JFK, and there's a decent chance your flights will be walking distance from each other. (Worst case is a shuttle bus between T4 and T2/3, but that's unlikely.) With B6, you will need to claim your bags, transfer landside (two stops on AirTrain), check-in, and reclear security.

How long you should allow depends on your risk tolerance combined with check-in requirements for the international segments and how important it is for you not to miss your international segment. Personally, I'd allow 2-3 hours for DL-DL (even though the actual terminal transfer will take maybe 10 minutes) and add an extra 90 minutes if B6 is involved.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: Air France/KLM FB-GOLD, Ethiad Guests GOLD, HHonors DIAMOND, Lufthansa Miles&More
Smile Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK)

To all,
Beginning of next year I will arrive with Delta from AMSTERDAM at New York JFK. I will have a domestic connection with Delta to DENVER. Transit is 3h10min. So far I understood I need to change terminal at JFK.
Is 3h10min enough time to do customes, security and so on? How to get from one terminal the the other? Sorry we are spoiled at Schiphol as AMS is just one big building so no need to take bus or other ground transport. ;-)
Old Nov 15, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
3 hours is plenty for international to domestic transit. After you clear immigration/customs there will be a desk outside the customs hall for you to recheck your bags & they can tell you how to get to your domestic gate (if you arrive at T-4 and you are leaving T-2 there is a free skytrain between the terminals, but just ask when you recheck your bags).
Old Nov 15, 2012, 1:37 pm

As long as all of your flights are on Delta or KLM that is more than enough time. Delta offers shuttles between terminals so if eligible you can go to the Oasis Lounge pre-Security in T4 after rechecking bags clear security in T4 then take shuttle to another terminal if Denver flight not leaving from T4 (if the plane for Denver is coming from a destination in the Caribbean it may arrive in T4 anyway)
Old Nov 16, 2012, 7:26 am

Programs: Air France/KLM FB-GOLD, Ethiad Guests GOLD, HHonors DIAMOND, Lufthansa Miles&More
many thank!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Hello everyone,

Bit of advice. Looking at LAX-JFK-GVA. I have two options, would prefer to take the later one as I would like to avoid leaving at 6:00am, but I just want to make sure if transfer times are OK to do so.

JFK-GVA: 7:25PM departure at Terminal 4

OPTIONS:
LAX-JFK Terminal 7/ 6:00am-2:19pm
LAX-JFK Terminal 7/ 8:30am-4:49pm.

This would give me roughly 2 hours and 35 minutes to transfer terminals. No immigration/customs obviously, and I'm assuming my bag would be checked through. Would you take the later one to avoid waking up at an ungodly hour? How is the On Time performance of LAX-JFK P.S?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Hello everyone,

Bit of advice. Looking at LAX-JFK-GVA. I have two options, would prefer to take the later one as I would like to avoid leaving at 6:00am, but I just want to make sure if transfer times are OK to do so.

JFK-GVA: 7:25PM departure at Terminal 4

OPTIONS:
LAX-JFK Terminal 7/ 6:00am-2:19pm
LAX-JFK Terminal 7/ 8:30am-4:49pm.

This would give me roughly 2 hours and 35 minutes to transfer terminals. No immigration/customs obviously, and I'm assuming my bag would be checked through. Would you take the later one to avoid waking up at an ungodly hour? How is the On Time performance of LAX-JFK P.S?
2.35 at JFK should be fine. However, I'm not sure what you mean be LAX-JFK P.S. ...P.S. is a UA product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.