Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF these are the MCTs for JFK:
DL to DL Connections
  • D-D: 35 minutes
  • D-I: 45 minutes except 55 minutes if connecting to HAV.
  • I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland, AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour 55 minutes if coming from HAV. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-D times above apply.
  • I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland or AUA; 45 minutes if coming from BDA, FPO, or NAS; 2 hours if arriving on a DL-marketed flight that arrives into Terminal 1. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-I times above apply.
DL to/from AF
  • DL to AF, D-I: 1 hour 40 minutes until 11/23/23; 1 hour 15 minutes starting 11/24/23
  • DL to AF, I-I: 2 hours
  • AF to DL, I-D: 2 hours 15 minutes until 12/31/23; 1 hour 45 minutes starting 1/1/24
  • AF to DL, I-I: 2 hours
DL to/from KL
  • DL to KL, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to KL, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
DL to/from VS:
  • DL to VS, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to VS, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
Other connections
LA to DL I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes until 7/21/23, 1 hour 35 minutes starting 7/22/23.
LA to DL I-I: 1 hour 30 minutes

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 1 hour
D-I: 1 hour 15 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 45 minutes
I-I: 2 hours
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2020, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
Your JFK to FCO will definitely be going out of T4 so you should plan on needing to get to the T4 gate for your departure.

It looks like DL 693 (SLC - JFK) goes into T2 when it's flown by the 757 and into T4 when flown by a 763. If you are on the 757, I would assume T2 and just be prepared to walk to the JITNEY gate and hop on the bus over to T4. It's pretty simple and T2 isn't that big so it shouldn't take long to make your way to the bus stop (especially if you are in F). Doesn't really matter which JITNEY you take to T4.

The international flights go out of B18 - B40ish so until day of departure you won't know which side is closer and even then if you end up at the wrong one it's just one long hallway to walk down. The SkyClub is in the middle around B31 so if you've got time for a visit it really doesn't matter since you'll be walking to the middle anyway.

If you do end up in T4, it's even more straightforward, just proceed to the SkyClub and hang out there until your flight boards.
This is exactly the information I was looking for! Right now, it is a 737-900er on the ticket. I will be prepared for T2. Thank you for taking the time to provide the information. I feel better going in a little more informed.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:04 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
Okay thanks. I remember LAX has separate GE customs line and they take the GE receipt not immigration.
JFK T4 used to be like that (and there was a dedicated GE exit at the time), but they redesigned it a year or two ago, and now it's sort of like Europe, where you just walk through the exit and maybe they stop you if you look suspicious or whatever. The GE receipt is collected just after the GE machines.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bennos
JFK T4 used to be like that (and there was a dedicated GE exit at the time), but they redesigned it a year or two ago, and now it's sort of like Europe, where you just walk through the exit and maybe they stop you if you look suspicious or whatever. The GE receipt is collected just after the GE machines.
Found the same setup in BOS last week (and if I'm remembering correctly from my flights last fall both DTW and MSP as well) -- they now just take the slip after the GE machines (after the CBP officer looks at it and takes an relevant action) and then you are fine the rest of the way.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: *A Gold, ST - E+
In a few months I'll have a AF (J) -> DL (J) connection at JFK (T1-T4) in the evening. Connection time is 2h35. From what I've read, it might be doable. However, I've only been through JFK either as arrival or departure and never for connections.

What exactly can I expect? I understand I'll have to go through customs and security but how is the transfer processed between terminals? It won't be a big deal if I miss that connection but I'm just trying to be prepared...
Old Feb 29, 2020, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
I'm not aware of any expedited transfer options between T1 and T4, but if so, that would help.

Worst case is that you'd have to take the Airtrain from T1 to T4. Depending on the extra bells and whistles you may have, like Global entry, pre check, Clear, etc, (and time-of-day), that could range from easy peasy to challenging. I've entered customs at T-4 and it took two hours to get through - with Global entry, that wait time usually vanishes completely.

The airtrain station is handy for both terminals, and it's a quick ride. Breakdowns or scheduled maintenance notwithstanding, the trains usually come every few mins. Airtrain does operate in both directions, so get on the shorter option; it's pretty well marked and announcements are made.

At T-4, it can be a long slog, but much expedited with Clear and/or Pre check. (Clear at T-4 is fairly new. Previously you could enter at T-2 (Clear) and shuttle bus, "Jitney", to T4 after security.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miles_collector
What exactly can I expect? I understand I'll have to go through customs and security but how is the transfer processed between terminals? It won't be a big deal if I miss that connection but I'm just trying to be prepared...
As mentioned the transfer between terminals will have to be landside. If your DL flight is departing from a high-numbered B gate, you might be better off walking over to T2 to clear security and take the Shuttle/jitney over to T4.

A lot will really depend on whether you have Global Entry (or can do mobile passport), TSA Precheck, CLEAR, and checked baggage.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 1:58 pm

Programs: *A Gold, ST - E+
No GE, just european passport. Connection will be towards Toronto if it helps with the gate
Old Feb 29, 2020, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by miles_collector
No GE, just european passport. Connection will be towards Toronto if it helps with the gate
Flights to YYZ will normally be from very high B gates in T4. Despite this itll be quicker to exit T1, turn and walk to T2, clear security there where you can then take the bus (Jitney) to the high B gates in T4. If you goto T4 you'll have a longer security wait and will be very far away from the high B gates. (T4 security is down by the A gates end)

There'll be a bag drop after exiting customs in T1 where you can redrop your tagged bags. (You must pick them up despite connecting onward international)
miles_collector likes this.
Old May 31, 2020, 1:46 am

Looking at flight from Brussels to MCO through JFK for my family. Arriving on easter saturday around 1pm with Delta at JFK. Connecting time 2h10min. I would want a better connecting time but ticket price x2. Also other airports much more expensive. No global entry. Can I risk this?
I was supposed to fly last month but received Delta voucher to reschedule. So not much options in looking for cheaper tickets with other airlines...
Old May 31, 2020, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by deebee7
Looking at flight from Brussels to MCO through JFK for my family. Arriving on easter saturday around 1pm with Delta at JFK. Connecting time 2h10min. I would want a better connecting time but ticket price x2. Also other airports much more expensive. No global entry. Can I risk this?
I was supposed to fly last month but received Delta voucher to reschedule. So not much options in looking for cheaper tickets with other airlines...
If you have rebooked for Easter 2021, I would have no hesitation selecting this. More than likely you'll have a few schedule changes between now and when you fly; that will allow you to pick other flights suited for your needs. Either with longer connection times or a different connection airport.
Old May 31, 2020, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
If you have rebooked for Easter 2021, I would have no hesitation selecting this. More than likely you'll have a few schedule changes between now and when you fly; that will allow you to pick other flights suited for your needs. Either with longer connection times or a different connection airport.
Delta told us that on this rebooking voucher no changes would be allowed anymore...
Old May 31, 2020, 2:48 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Delta told us that on this rebooking voucher no changes would be allowed anymore...
That restriction only refers to voluntary changes (and in the context, probably only restricts any further voluntary changes with waived change fee due to COVID).

What Yellowjj is referring to is that there is a decent chance there will be future schedule changes made by Delta that might open up the possibility of rebooking to a longer connection or a different routing of your choice.

See the master Schedule Change thread for discussion/examples: Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread
​​​​​​
Old May 31, 2020, 7:36 am

Txs all for the input! Booked the flight. Now hoping Delta will change schedule so i can change to another connecting airport
Old May 31, 2020, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Txs all for the input! Booked the flight. Now hoping Delta will change schedule so i can change to another connecting airport
Even if you don't change, you should be able to connect international to domestic at JFK in 130 minutes. And if you do not make your connection, there almost certainly will be another flight to the Mouseport that DL will put you on a few hours later on, even if they need to send you over to LGA..
Old Dec 16, 2020, 3:20 pm

ATL or JFK for return international flight

I haven't booked this yet but plan to do so in the next 2-3 weeks. Going on an ocean cruise to Portugal and Spain in November 2021. Prices are really good on Delta versus United for Comfort Plus. Flight would be RDU-LIS-BCN-RDU.

Question is, if you have a choice, on a return flight from BCN, would you take a 2 1/2 hour connection in JFK or a 3 1/2 hour connection in ATL? I like JFK myself but I know traveling through there can be difficult.

BTW we have Global Entry if that makes a difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.