Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF these are the MCTs for JFK:
DL to DL Connections
  • D-D: 35 minutes
  • D-I: 45 minutes except 55 minutes if connecting to HAV.
  • I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland, AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour 55 minutes if coming from HAV. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-D times above apply.
  • I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland or AUA; 45 minutes if coming from BDA, FPO, or NAS; 2 hours if arriving on a DL-marketed flight that arrives into Terminal 1. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-I times above apply.
DL to/from AF
  • DL to AF, D-I: 1 hour 40 minutes until 11/23/23; 1 hour 15 minutes starting 11/24/23
  • DL to AF, I-I: 2 hours
  • AF to DL, I-D: 2 hours 15 minutes until 12/31/23; 1 hour 45 minutes starting 1/1/24
  • AF to DL, I-I: 2 hours
DL to/from KL
  • DL to KL, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to KL, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
DL to/from VS:
  • DL to VS, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to VS, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
Other connections
LA to DL I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes until 7/21/23, 1 hour 35 minutes starting 7/22/23.
LA to DL I-I: 1 hour 30 minutes

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 1 hour
D-I: 1 hour 15 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 45 minutes
I-I: 2 hours
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2010, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by SusanDK
We will by flying MCO-JFK-CPH in mid-November. The MCO-JFK options are either DL 78 arriving at JFK at 16.48, or DL 80 arriving at JFK at 14.40.

The JFK-CPH flight (DL118) departs at 18.35.

My husband is pushing for the later flight, with a 1.47 layover. I'm wondering if we'd be better off with the earlier flight, with a 3.55 layover, since it is JFK and it will be ~winter~ (mid-November - most likely Friday or Saturday, the 19th-20th).
Sigh . . . after discussing with my husband again, and despite me gut feeling to take the earlier flight, I could tell he felt strongly about taking the later flight with only 1.47 connection time. So I've booked it.

I can see from the ticket that we are currently scheduled to arrive from MCO at Terminal 3, and depart to CPH from Terminal 2.

Will we have to clear security again, or not? Is this a quick and easy transfer?

Do most of you think we'll be ok, or is there a compelling reason for me to work on him again to switch flights? I admit I'm the worrier in the family - he is more 'go with the flow' - but I'm the one who would suffer most from a delayed return due to work, plus the one who would be most upset to lose our upgrade if we had to be re-routed, particularly after paying for M fare. I see that there are later flights out via AMS and CDG just in case we did miss our flight, so presumably we could be re-routed on one of those, but as they are operated by KL or AF, I assume they may not be willing to give us BE even if seats are available?

I know I'm going to be stewing about this from now on until we are on the tarmac sitting on the return flight.

Please feel free to ease my mind with "no worries, you'll be fine" posts (provided you really feel this way).

Susan
Old Sep 16, 2010, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
T3 to T2 will not require you to leave security, merely to walk briskly between them, a trip that will take no more than 10 minutes from furthest gate to furthest gate.

My guess is that you are better than 80% to make your connection as it is. Whether you will get the upgrade if rerouted on KL or AF in case of a misconnect, that is more than likely. When that happened to us on an NWA award trip a few years ago, we were reclassed in D on AF so do not worry.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 12:35 am

Thanks - appreciate the reply!
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:48 am

Programs: Waffle House DM
Susan,

Going outbound on an international connection should be a non-event. Terminals 2 and 3 are inter-connected, and as monitor says, even the diametrically opposite gates only take about 10 minutes to walk between. You only need to show passports when boarding in JFK, possibly a gateside TSA bag check, and you will be on your way.

Your approach to connecting applies very much when returning to the US, as Customs and immgration delays are completey outside of your control, you have to collect/recheck bags, redo security and then get to the gate. I do this a lot, and with checked bags would never leave less than 2 hours for a connection.

It's far easier to be smug about waiting a bit longer in the lounge than it is to be smug about missing your flight.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Slow learner

Going outbound on an international connection should be a non-event.

Your approach to connecting applies very much when returning to the US, as Customs and immgration delays are completey outside of your control, you have to collect/recheck bags, redo security and then get to the gate. I do this a lot, and with checked bags would never leave less than 2 hours for a connection.
Thanks! I agree that delays when flying TO the U.S. are more common.

It's just that avoiding problems on our return to Denmark is more critical than the arrival in the U.S. We fly to the U.S. via ATL (our preferred routing - but it is going seasonal at end October). We've never missed a domestic connection in ATL, but if we did it wouldn't be an issue since there are hourly flights from ATL to MCO and the delay would be negligible.

My concern about the return is that it's JFK in winter, and if we miss the connection, a delay would be more signficant (time-wise) and could have consequences with my getting back to work on time.

But I've booked the flight my husband prefers, and hope it will all go smoothly. Like you said, it should be a non-issue most of the time.

Susan
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:32 am

Hello

I am traveling to San Jose, and my stop over is through JFK. I would be arriving at 1.40pm on a BA flight from London to JFK. Then my connecting flight would at 4.00pm on a AA flght.

Would 2.40 be enough time to go through customs, change terminals and recheck luggage?

Otherwise the other option is a 5 hour stop over.

F

Also is way to get from terminal 7 to 8?

Last edited by h4rni; Sep 19, 2010 at 12:10 pm
Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by h4rni
Hello

I am traveling to San Jose, and my stop over is through JFK. I would be arriving at 1.40pm on a BA flight from London to JFK. Then my connecting flight would at 4.00pm on a AA flght.

Would 2.40 be enough time to go through customs, change terminals and recheck luggage?

Otherwise the other option is a 5 hour stop over.

F

Also is way to get from terminal 7 to 8?
You are probably better off asking this on either the BA or AA forums (this is the Delta Air Lines forum).

But as far as I know there is NO air side connection between 7 and 8 however on the landside there is the airtrain that makes it very easy to get between terminals.

2.40 hours *sounds* reasonable...but again I would ask on the BA forum since they would know how long passport control and customs takes at their terminal at JFK.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Burj
You are probably better off asking this on either the BA or AA forums (this is the Delta Air Lines forum).

But as far as I know there is NO air side connection between 7 and 8 however on the landside there is the airtrain that makes it very easy to get between terminals.

2.40 hours *sounds* reasonable...but again I would ask on the BA forum since they would know how long passport control and customs takes at their terminal at JFK.
ooops! thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
I'm arriving from IST into Terminal 3 on January 3rd at 5pm. I have 89 min connection to my MSP flight in Terminal 2.

Assuming my inbound is on time, do I have any worries? This is the last flight of the night to MSP.

Delta.com has flagged it as "it may cause you to miss at least one connecting flight during your trip."
Old Sep 26, 2010, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lucycan
I'm arriving from IST into Terminal 3 on January 3rd at 5pm. I have 89 min connection to my MSP flight in Terminal 2...
if you nave checked bags, even if your inbound is completely punctual, you could very well have a problem. If you are checking, you will miss your connection a good part of the time since you need to wait for border control and./or your bags in T3 and then get over to T2.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
What about LGA? A quick search of the thread and the forum didn't turn anything up...

I have an upcoming connection that I originally booked as a 1:15 connection and is now exactly 31 minutes, and based on my JFK experiences that is crazy aggressive. I've got no experience with LGA, but since it's in the same city I at least expect similar ATC delays...

Apparently, whatever the MCT is for LGA it's less than 31 minutes, because the phone folks wouldn't budge on changing to different flights. Should I SDC to something else day of flight?
Old Sep 27, 2010, 7:00 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lucycan
I'm arriving from IST into Terminal 3 on January 3rd at 5pm. I have 89 min connection to my MSP flight in Terminal 2.

Assuming my inbound is on time, do I have any worries? This is the last flight of the night to MSP.

Delta.com has flagged it as "it may cause you to miss at least one connecting flight during your trip."
While you may make the connection, I am not a fan of short connections for intl flts, especially for the last flt of the night.

If it were me -- even more so if you plan to do any more intl travel in the future -- I would get a Global Entry pass. GOES is generally very fast through immigration, can save you a half hour or more sometimes...

http://www.globalentry.gov/
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:24 am

Programs: DL Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Cool

Originally Posted by BenA
What about LGA? A quick search of the thread and the forum didn't turn anything up...

I have an upcoming connection that I originally booked as a 1:15 connection and is now exactly 31 minutes, and based on my JFK experiences that is crazy aggressive. I've got no experience with LGA, but since it's in the same city I at least expect similar ATC delays...

Apparently, whatever the MCT is for LGA it's less than 31 minutes, because the phone folks wouldn't budge on changing to different flights. Should I SDC to something else day of flight?
I think 31 minutes is really tight for anywhere, even tiny regional airports, just because there is little to no room for error. If you are not changing terminals, you stand a chance at LGA because the DL Terminal is not that big. Maybe just check and see if there is another flight right after yours and if there is a lot of availability, you'll know that is a good back-up option in case you miss the connection.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
JFK-LGA??

What about connection times from a JFK intl arrival to a connection out of LGA on holidays/weekends? I'm thinking three hours is probably fine (used to be enough when I was doing it on AA), but thought I'd check that my memory wasn't faulty.

I know, I know...all bets are off if my JFK arrival is delayed, etc., but I'm just trying to get a sense of traffic and travel time between airports.

Thanks.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 1:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta SkyMiles
JFK Connection - Terminal 3 to Terminal 1

Flying from MCO to CDG on 11/18/10 with a connection at JFK. Flight info is as follows:

DL flight 78, lv: 2:10pm, arr: 4:55pm (JFK terminal 3)

DL flight 8581 (AF 007), lv: 7:05pm (JFK terminal 1), arr: 8:35am

Having never connected at JFK, is there any way to go between terminals without leaving the secured area and having to go through security again?

At this time of day, is 2:10 enough time to get from Terminal 3 to Terminal 1 and to get through security at T1 if there is mo secure way to move between terminals?

4 travelers in total (6 year-old, 64 year-old and 2 other adults).

Any comments/advice appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.