Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Throw-Away Ticketing, Hidden City Ticketing, and Skipping Legs: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Throw-Away Ticketing, Hidden City Ticketing, and Skipping Legs: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2005, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
A few years ago, I did the hidden city trip by booking Aer Lingis (DL partner at the time) from ORD to Shannon, Ireland with a stop in Dublin. This was several hundred $ cheaper than just booking to Dublin. I jumped off with my carryons and did not have any trouble retaining the return flight. I am, quite certain they have changed the rules since though - esp. for Intl travel in the TSA era. Btw, hidden city reservations are relatively painless for one-way travel (though may not yield as significant of cost savings).
Old May 20, 2005, 7:18 pm

It used to be relatively safe to use hidden city ticketing if the flights to and from the "point beyond" destination were on another carrier and had a different PNR, but I'm not sure that even that is safe in these days of e-tickets. I noticed recently that on a DL/BA e-ticket, DL has access to significant details from the BA PNR and vice-versa. Given the increased information flow even these distinct PNR scenarios could be problematic.
Old May 21, 2005, 7:34 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CelticFlyer
It used to be relatively safe to use hidden city ticketing if the flights to and from the "point beyond" destination were on another carrier and had a different PNR, but I'm not sure that even that is safe in these days of e-tickets. I noticed recently that on a DL/BA e-ticket, DL has access to significant details from the BA PNR and vice-versa. Given the increased information flow even these distinct PNR scenarios could be problematic.
It's totally safe if your return is via different airline (as long as the different airline is not a code share with the origin airline).
Old May 21, 2005, 10:02 am
Suspended

Location: Desert city where Venice, Paris and NY are within walking distance
Programs: Delta and Hilton make a lot of $$ off me
I have read that your return ticket would be no good, but it didn't happen to me. I used to fly BOS-LAX-SAN and return SAN-DEN-BOS on United. Many times I would get off at LAX, rent a car and drive to San Diego instead of waiting for the LAX-SAN flight. The total time was about the same but I prefered an hour's drive as opposed to an hour's wait in a terminal.

Getting on my return flight never posed a problem. Do all airlines have thier own policy about this, cuz United didn;t care.
Old May 21, 2005, 10:03 am
Suspended

Location: Desert city where Venice, Paris and NY are within walking distance
Programs: Delta and Hilton make a lot of $$ off me
Duplicate post

Last edited by da_guy; May 21, 2005 at 10:06 am
Old May 22, 2005, 6:41 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, Priority Club Plat AMB.,HHonors Gold,Amex
I didn't think airlines cared that much, espeically delta(the reason that I asked). I've bought a flight ORD-ATL-BNA in which I jumped off at ATL with a BHM-ATL-ORD return, I did catch the flight back at BHM with no problems at all, this was just late last year. Guess I won't take the chances though, maybe it was begginers luck.
Old May 22, 2005, 7:36 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I do it all the time, but never use the same airline for return travel. The cheapest way to do it is pick the airline for the hub you want and then I pick cities I know have cheap fares, RDU, ORD, JAX are usually good for me and a return flight two weeks after on a wed or sat. Then I fly another airline home or somewhere else. I do it mostly on USair to CLT. Sometimes Delta to ATL. Get in early that morning then take a NW flight via memphis home.
Old May 22, 2005, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by smileymike13
I didn't think airlines cared that much, espeically delta(the reason that I asked). I've bought a flight ORD-ATL-BNA in which I jumped off at ATL with a BHM-ATL-ORD return, I did catch the flight back at BHM with no problems at all, this was just late last year. Guess I won't take the chances though, maybe it was begginers luck.
You got really lucky. This has been policy for a long time. Usually, the cancellation is automatic unless you call and give them a really, really good reason that you didn't take the flight. I have had them let me do it but only a couple of times in very special circumstances.
Old May 22, 2005, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Keep in mind too, that in the event of irregular ops, the airline could switch you to other flights, or even other airlines to get to your ticketed destination.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Question Change itineraries or skip a leg?

I have been booked BHM-SFO on 1674/575 today for the last couple weeks on Q fares. This morning I check my itineraries (hadn't cleared u/g's as of yesterday) and there are extra flights listed and 1674 UG status says "waitlisted". Flight time is now listed as 12:00 AM instead of 2:23 PM. My u/g for 575 is confirmed.

I look at the status of 1674 BHM-ATL and it is cancelled. Now I see why I have extra flights in my itinerary. I have been given seats on 5126/1409. Fares are now Y and F.

I have a choice. I can drive to ATL, it takes about 2 hours, and catch my original flight to SFO. I have an F seat. Dinner will be served. I will get to SFO by 8:08. I have a 7:30 AM meeting.

I can take the alternative BHM-CVG-SFO. I have to fly an RJ. No dinner. I get to SFO at 10:15. I get 1765 more MQM and more SM (not sure but maybe less than 1000). Equipment is a 738 vs 763MR. Any further glitch jeopardizes my arrival for tomorrow morning.

I'm going for Option 2 because I need all the MQM I can get. This still leaves me 7300 shy of GM renewal unless I can add something to my schedule - I hate to do a MR but might if I have to and can do so cheaply. Would y'all do the same?

Last edited by BamaVol; Aug 5, 2005 at 9:11 am
Old Aug 5, 2005, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Is option 2 the BHM-CVG-SFO flight? If so, I'd take that. I don't like 2 hr drives to the airport and I flew the 738 to SAN once in F and was quite comfortable.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:47 am
Suspended

Ever throwaway a middle segment on a FF award?

I am flying on a DL award on DL and AF. Once I get to ATL, I get on another flight to JFK, then wait for a long time before getting on an AF flight. Now I have a quick business meeting in Washington, DC. I am considering throwing away the ATL-JFK segment and buying my own ticket ATL-DCA and DCA-JFK. However, I am concerned DL will cancel all subsequent flights if I miss the ATL-JFK segment.

What to do? One alternative is to buy my own JFK-DCA-JFK ticket. This is possible except that it does cut my time in DCA to simply the business meeting and not meeting + business lunch.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
If you don't show up your entire remaining itinerary will definitely be canceled. Best to call DL and explain the situation. You may have to pay a fee but I'm sure they will be able to work it out for you.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:59 am

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 10, 2007 at 12:24 pm
Old Oct 3, 2005, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by vasantn
If you don't show up your entire remaining itinerary will definitely be canceled. Best to call DL and explain the situation. You may have to pay a fee but I'm sure they will be able to work it out for you.
You don't mention what your origination city is. The only legal way to do this is to originate in JFK and buy a separate ticket from origin to DCA to JFK. This will make this a formally "one stopover" ticket, which is ok as long as your departure from Europe is also CDG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.