Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Throw-Away Ticketing, Hidden City Ticketing, and Skipping Legs: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Throw-Away Ticketing, Hidden City Ticketing, and Skipping Legs: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2003, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL Gold (2.5MM program miles), Airtran A+ Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:
Southwest doesn't fly to LEX. Did you mean SDF?

For all the trouble of parking at CVG, renting a car, and returning it at SDF, why not just drive your own car to SDF and fly all four flights? You would save money on the rental car and get an extra 500 miles (only 250 MQM's but more than 0).

Does Delta give this corporation a corporate discount?
</font>
My mistake: it is SDF. Can't answer the other questions as I don't work there but a good friend of mine does.

------------------
"On Va. Ave., loyalty is a one-way street."
--Me
Old Jun 8, 2003, 2:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
This employer obviously doesn't put very much value on the time of its employees.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL-PLATINUM, HH-DIAMOND
Ticket so you take the last flight of day ATL-CVG and "overnight" then CVG-DAY the next day.

Then your bags HAVE to be tagged CVG as DL will not hold bags for you overnight.

------------------
"Things work out the best for those who make the best of the way things work out"
Old Jun 8, 2003, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Thanks for the replies. I am not actually doing ATL - DAY... I didn't want to mention the real itinerary in case delta 'trolls these boards'. It is from Somewhere in Ohio connecting through ATL to a smaller ATL served GA city. I am then getting off in ATL and going home.

In my briefcase I have to carry a screwdriver and thus have to check my bags. That is the only frustration. Out of 3 times trying to go through security with my screwdriver kit, they wouldn't let me once and I had to throw it away. If its a bad item it is bad enough they let it through twice (once in PHL and once in SFO, took it from me in RIC)
Old Jun 8, 2003, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by OldRoyal:
So much so, this company has a negotiated rate with Hertz for a one-way drop from CVG to SDF.</font>
I bet that this company's negotiated rate allows for one-way rentals, which happens to facilitate this hidden-city practice, not the other way around where they got the one-way rate specifically for hidden-city ticketing.

btw, WN doesn't serve SFO.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BDABOY:
Ticket so you take the last flight of day ATL-CVG and "overnight" then CVG-DAY the next day.

Then your bags HAVE to be tagged CVG as DL will not hold bags for you overnight.

</font>

Best advice!
Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:58 pm

Programs: Skymiles
skip a leg and drive instead

i was wondering if there are any negative consequence of skipping my flight leg from slc to LAX. I have a round trip from ATL to LAX via SLC. Are there any issues with just skipping slc to LAX instead and drive to LAX. Rest of the trip remains same. Please advice..J
Old Apr 30, 2005, 1:16 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I am pretty sure that if you don't show up for your flight into LAX the remainder of your itinerary will be canceled. So that could mean lots of problems. It is worth a call to DL to ask them how much it will cost to cancel your SLC-LAX leg. There may be an increase in the fare as well as a $50 service charge. I think, though, just skipping it is a bad idea, unless of course you want to get stuck in LA.

The drive from SLC to LAX is a little boring, but if you have not done it, or have not spent a lot of time in the west, it would be worth doing once. The drive is about 600 miles, so it will be a long day. You could always stay in Vegas for a night, just to break it up and see Sin City.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 1:27 pm

Two one ways

if I have a one way ticket from ATL to LAX via slc. and skip the second leg of first one way. I can always buy a one way back from LAX to ATL.l Will I be fine?
Old Apr 30, 2005, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by JerryWood
if I have a one way ticket from ATL to LAX via slc. and skip the second leg of first one way. I can always buy a one way back from LAX to ATL.l Will I be fine?
This topic has been covered numerous times, try searching.

The short answer is that you should be ok, but Delta can charge you the difference of fare between ATL-LAX and a full Y ATL-SLC, although I don't know if that's ever happened to anyone here.
Old May 1, 2005, 10:25 am

Skip a leg flight

Thanks, For your help in my travel.
Old May 20, 2005, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, Priority Club Plat AMB.,HHonors Gold,Amex
Ever jump off at connecting city for cheap fare?

Didn't know how to perferm a serach for this question. Has anyone ever not boarded at their connecting city simply because that's the place that you planned on going anyway?
I ask this because, it's 50% cheaper for me to fly JAN-ATL-HOU with a connection in ATL rather than a straight flight JAN-ATL. I want to just hop off in ATL and still get the good price.

I know it'll work on the flight out, but I have never not showed up at the right airport on the way back. anyone had similar experience?
Old May 20, 2005, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Your entire return reservation will be cancelled if you jump off in ATL on your outbound.
Old May 20, 2005, 6:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by smileymike13
Didn't know how to perferm a serach for this question. Has anyone ever not boarded at their connecting city simply because that's the place that you planned on going anyway?
I ask this because, it's 50% cheaper for me to fly JAN-ATL-HOU with a connection in ATL rather than a straight flight JAN-ATL. I want to just hop off in ATL and still get the good price.

I know it'll work on the flight out, but I have never not showed up at the right airport on the way back. anyone had similar experience?
This is called “Hidden City” ticketing. And here’s a little blurb on the practice from a travel newsletter:

Two other ticketing strategies, known as the "open jaw" and "hidden cities" are worth considering. By booking a hidden city ticket, you pay for a less-expensive trip between two airports and get off at a stopover city — which is your intended destination. For example, you may book a round-trip ticket from Baltimore to Tampa, Fla., but only go as far as Philadelphia, the stopover city. (Note that your return trip will be cancelled by the airline, so use this only for a one-way trip. It also means that you can only have carry-on luggage.) An open jaw ticket lets you fly to one city and return from another, often at a considerable savings. For instance, you might fly from New York to San Francisco but return from Los Angeles to New York.

Note that these tactics don't always yield cheaper prices, nor do airlines appreciate passengers circumventing their pricing scheme. "Airlines are developing the means to catch people who use hidden city itineraries, since you're trying to get around the system," says John Frenaye of Carlson Wagonlit Travel in Annapolis, Md. "So be careful.
And FlyerTalk’s very own gleff has written about this practice in his online blog.
You can try this but as Traveller says, your return is likely to be canceled and you may get a knock on your door from DL’s Revenue Protection gendarmes.....
Old May 20, 2005, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
I've even had a return totally cancelled because the second and last segment of my outbound was cancelled and the airline put me on another carrier. Was I surprised when I went to PHL to get home to MKE (many years ago). LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.