Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Throw-Away Ticketing, Hidden City Ticketing, and Skipping Legs: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Throw-Away Ticketing, Hidden City Ticketing, and Skipping Legs: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2024, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Points well taken...aka there is a small amount of risk. Maybe we just travel light and carry it all on
Old Jan 29, 2024, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Points well taken...aka there is a small amount of risk. Maybe we just travel light and carry it all on
If it's possible to carry it all on, that would be my last resort option.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 2:48 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by moondog
If it's possible to carry it all on, that would be my last resort option.
it's possible to carry it all on, that would be my first resort option :-)
Old Jan 29, 2024, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
If I have said 6+ plus layover, on an all domestic itinerary, is there any chance a surly bag check agent could DENY me the opportunity to short check bags to the layover point?
Reason being is the luggage HAS to come off at the layover as we are walking away at that point. If I am entitled to get my checked luggage short checked and cant be denied that option, should be good to go. However if there is any chance that I cannot do that, I wont take the risk.
The "we" here would make me a little more nervous about doing this. When it's one person that skips the last leg of a ticket, it's not going to throw as many red flags in the system...when there are multiple people, it just might cause DL to look into your actions a little further.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by The Situation
The "we" here would make me a little more nervous about doing this. When it's one person that skips the last leg of a ticket, it's not going to throw as many red flags in the system...when there are multiple people, it just might cause DL to look into your actions a little further.
Point noted. We will just carry on and avoid any hassle
Old Jan 30, 2024, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
If over 6 hours DL policy fully allows short check.
moondog likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Hi all - looking for your advice. Will soon be flying west coast - ATL - caribbean and return, on a SkyMiles award ticket. On the return I need to stop in Atlanta for a couple of days, so I'm looking to skip the last leg back to the west coast if DL won't allow an easy change (or tries to jack up the miles requirement to drop a leg, etc.). I will have checked luggage. Given the unique setup at ATL, does anyone see problems with grabbing my luggage at customs and then exiting as a local rather than connecting passenger? Just want to understand any ATL-specific considerations that might throw a wrench in that plan. Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by rwSEA
Hi all - looking for your advice. Will soon be flying west coast - ATL - caribbean and return, on a SkyMiles award ticket. On the return I need to stop in Atlanta for a couple of days, so I'm looking to skip the last leg back to the west coast if DL won't allow an easy change (or tries to jack up the miles requirement to drop a leg, etc.). I will have checked luggage. Given the unique setup at ATL, does anyone see problems with grabbing my luggage at customs and then exiting as a local rather than connecting passenger? Just want to understand any ATL-specific considerations that might throw a wrench in that plan. Thanks in advance!
Could be if you arrive in E. Passengers coming off international arrivals (non-Pre-Clearance locations**) in ATL will be directed one way while passengers terminating in ATL will go another way. If you can book a layover long enough to allow for short-checking to ATL, your bag will only be tagged to ATL and for arrival purposes you’d be treated as terminating at ATL.

Is your Caribbean destination a US pre-clearance destination? That could potentially throw a wrench into this as well since you wouldn’t even claim your bag for customs at ATL. Though that issue can still be alleviated by booking a connection with a long enough layover to allow for short-checking.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Thanks. It’s not a pre clearance destination. It sounds then like the bags are routed to different places in ATL depending on final destination? That is, it’s not like other US airports where CBP all happens together and then you different directions after clearing customs?
Old Feb 22, 2024, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by rwSEA
Thanks. It’s not a pre clearance destination. It sounds then like the bags are routed to different places in ATL depending on final destination? That is, it’s not like other US airports where CBP all happens together and then you different directions after clearing customs?
I believe the issue only applies if you arrive in E. If you arrive in F, it becomes a non-issue. But there's no way to tell in advance which Concourse you will arrive at.

Another potential issue: is your destination in the Caribbean only served from ATL with DL or does DL fly to other hubs/cities? In the event of IROPS, DL could rebook you via another hub. While you may have some flexibility in rebooking from what DL initially rebooks you on, if there are limited options or no available seats on a flight to ATL by the time you need to be there, this could also be problematic.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I believe the issue only applies if you arrive in E. If you arrive in F, it becomes a non-issue. But there's no way to tell in advance which Concourse you will arrive at.

Another potential issue: is your destination in the Caribbean only served from ATL with DL or does DL fly to other hubs/cities? In the event of IROPS, DL could rebook you via another hub. While you may have some flexibility in rebooking from what DL initially rebooks you on, if there are limited options or no available seats on a flight to ATL by the time you need to be there, this could also be problematic.
Correct, all F arrivals goto F. E depends on where bag is tagged. Note IME narrow body international come into E more than F. However there's no guarantee either way.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.