Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2014, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
Interesting. The one time I got VDB the agent started the "offer" at $400. Sounds like they're starting lower now?

There was an earlier post that a lucky traveler got $600 on a DTW-RIC flight. That's a nice score!
True. Depends if you get a GA that tends to "panic" and just wants to get the target number of vols quickly. I think they use the numbers input at kiosks to individually comp vols if that method will get them the number they need...if it goes to the GA having to solicit...then, all are supposed to be comp'd the same amount.
Old May 31, 2014, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I got $600 2 weeks ago in YYZ in the morning on YYZ-ATL overbooked by 4 - I dont know if that was the initial offer, because I just strolled into the gate area when it was announced. I have zero DL status.

Two days later I called DL to make use of SDC, and they said I can just take the $50 out of the voucher.... "I see you have $600 credit with us"... so now I m down to $550

I found that intertsting, since nowhere in the itinerary or voucher was my SkyMiles included (miles went to AS)
Old May 31, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
My wife and I got bumped this week. Both of us received $400 TCV's and we got home 2hrs and 40 minutes later than planned. Never asked, the agent just said $400 and only needed 2 people.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jjmiller69
My wife and I got bumped this week. Both of us received $400 TCV's and we got home 2hrs and 40 minutes later than planned. Never asked, the agent just said $400 and only needed 2 people.
Nice. Was this on a flight into or out of GRB?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by OHDL1
I think they use the numbers input at kiosks to individually comp vols if that method will get them the number they need...if it goes to the GA having to solicit...then, all are supposed to be comp'd the same amount.
I think most GA's ignore the kiosk inputs. There is just way too much variability that following that procedure would be grossly inefficient and far too burdensome on the agent.

Their primary role is getting that flight on time. Are they really supposed to hunt down someone who bid $50 less, who's having dinner at Chili's or in the bathroom, who may be a novice traveler and not realize that a redeye VDB will entail going the next day and will reject the offer once they realize the reprotection? Meanwhile, a willing candidate is standing in front of them, ready to deal, already familiar with the impact, and if the GA spends valuable minutes hunting down the other guy, this guy may change his mind, board and no longer be interested, etc., putting the GA in a worse off position.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by channa
I think most GA's ignore the kiosk inputs. There is just way too much variability that following that procedure would be grossly inefficient and far too burdensome on the agent.

Their primary role is getting that flight on time. Are they really supposed to hunt down someone who bid $50 less, who's having dinner at Chili's or in the bathroom, who may be a novice traveler and not realize that a redeye VDB will entail going the next day and will reject the offer once they realize the reprotection? Meanwhile, a willing candidate is standing in front of them, ready to deal, already familiar with the impact, and if the GA spends valuable minutes hunting down the other guy, this guy may change his mind, board and no longer be interested, etc., putting the GA in a worse off position.
That IS the way it's "supposed" to work especially if there is more than 1 agent working the flight. But, don't we all know....YMMV
(And...I do agree with you that most will probably ignore the input.)
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum
My flight on 5/27 from MSP to DFW was oversold by 8? I believe. They asked a few times for volunteers and I didn't see anyone volunteering. I had a few extra hours and went up and volunteered to take the 11:25 instead of 9:10 flight for $400. As it got close to boarding, they called me up and said they couldn't give me a seat on the 11:25 flight anymore and asked if I'd take a later flight, I said I couldn't and was removed from the list. Still had my seat on the 9:10. A few minutes passed and they raised the offer to $500 for the 1pm or 2pm flight. I went back up and said I could change my plans and re-volunteered (which I shouldn't have but my meeting wasn't THAT important). They needed more volunteers and raised the offer to $600. They ended up booking me on the 2pm flight and upgraded me to Economy Comfort. I wasn't sure how much they'd give me since I first volunteered at $400 and then re-volunteered at $500. Like I said, they had raised the offer to $600 after I volunteered the second time. They ended up giving me $600, I was happy since they could have only given me $500 since that's what I agreed to.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Pip Carlson
My flight on 5/27 from MSP to DFW was oversold by 8? I believe. They asked a few times for volunteers and I didn't see anyone volunteering. I had a few extra hours and went up and volunteered to take the 11:25 instead of 9:10 flight for $400. As it got close to boarding, they called me up and said they couldn't give me a seat on the 11:25 flight anymore and asked if I'd take a later flight, I said I couldn't and was removed from the list. Still had my seat on the 9:10. A few minutes passed and they raised the offer to $500 for the 1pm or 2pm flight. I went back up and said I could change my plans and re-volunteered (which I shouldn't have but my meeting wasn't THAT important). They needed more volunteers and raised the offer to $600. They ended up booking me on the 2pm flight and upgraded me to Economy Comfort. I wasn't sure how much they'd give me since I first volunteered at $400 and then re-volunteered at $500. Like I said, they had raised the offer to $600 after I volunteered the second time. They ended up giving me $600, I was happy since they could have only given me $500 since that's what I agreed to.
IME if they need to raise the VDB amount after you agreed to a lower amount on the same flight you will get the higher VDB offered.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
Interesting. The one time I got VDB the agent started the "offer" at $400. Sounds like they're starting lower now?

There was an earlier post that a lucky traveler got $600 on a DTW-RIC flight. That's a nice score!
As of late last year, the maximum was $400 domestic and $600 international, although a savvy gate agent could offer the international maximum for a domestic flight (just requires changing a D to an I on the computer).

There's always somebody who wants to make up stories on the Internet such as "just got my 30th consecutive bump ... $25,000 in Delta Dollars and I've yet to step on the flight ... going for another one ... I think I'll tell the agent $10,000 this time" or "at first the agent offered $800 but then when she saw I looked like Justin Bieber and winked at her, she offered me $8000."

Unless it's been lowered, $400/$600 is the max. The computer will not accept larger inputs. It's also possible CSR could supplement the voucher with a consumer service voucher, but that tops out at a low dollar amount.

As I've written before, I was in Los Angeles over the Holidays and it was IDB city. The DL agent was cutting checks for $1300 because nobody was willing to accept $600 ... I can recall one lady in tears, saying that although people think she's crazy not wanting to accept nearly $5000 cash for her family, her dad was dying and it'd be their last Christmas together so she had to be home for it. The Delta agent apologized but told her she couldn't solicit volunteers for higher amounts or the IDB comp...
Old Jun 1, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by Bagels
As of late last year, the maximum was $400 domestic and $600 international, although a savvy gate agent could offer the international maximum for a domestic flight (just requires changing a D to an I on the computer).
Myself, and plenty of others here, have gotten $600 for domestic bumps and $750 for international (if not $1000 for others...not me) over the past few years, including this year.

While I agree $400 is a typical domestic bump...it can, and is, frequently higher or lower than that. Sometimes it requires the Red Coat to make calls to supervisors.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by pgh234
Myself, and plenty of others here, have gotten $600 for domestic bumps and $750 for international (if not $1000 for others...not me) over the past few years, including this year.

While I agree $400 is a typical domestic bump...it can, and is, frequently higher or lower than that. Sometimes it requires the Red Coat to make calls to supervisors.
Outside the US, yes the International amount can be more, but inside the US, those numbers are fixed. As I've written before, people (no I'm not referring to you) list absurd amounts on here, but won't provide any proof of it when it's questioned...
Old Jun 1, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL DM
I received a call that "due to schedule changes, Delta is offering a voluntary change to another flight" for a flight on 6/19. No mention of compensation. The agent said that my current flights are running as scheduled and to disregard the call if not interested.

Has anyone gotten a call like this before?

Last edited by lateacher; Jun 1, 2014 at 2:13 pm Reason: add info
Old Jun 1, 2014, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by lateacher
I received a call that "due to schedule changes, Delta is offering a voluntary change to another flight" for a flight on 6/19. No mention of compensation. The agent said that my current flights are running as scheduled and to disregard the call if not interested.

Has anyone gotten a call like this before?
I received a similar message several months ago when my FNT-ATL flight was downgauaged from an M88 to CRJ. No compensation -- they were just enabling me to travel on any flight of the day I desired. However, I had a forced overnight at ATL en route to SJD and three different agents refused to put me on the next morning's FNT-ATL flight (just travel that day only).

The change from an MD-88 (Delta) to CRJ (Delta Connection partner) should've triggered my ability to change schedule, anyway, regardless of time.

We kept our itinerary and picked up $200 VDB vouchers, slept in our own beds (saved $$$ on a hotel room) and flew FNT-ATL the next morning ... linking us to our SJD flight as scheduled. DL could've saved itself revenue and us time & gas money by not being so stubborn to begin with...
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by Bagels
Outside the US, yes the International amount can be more, but inside the US, those numbers are fixed. As I've written before, people (no I'm not referring to you) list absurd amounts on here, but won't provide any proof of it when it's questioned...
I got $750 last summer on Domestic to NRT oversold by 7.
Post #579 has a couple getting $750 ea ATL-UIO.
Post #557 has someone getting $750 ATL-JNB.
Post #570 has a family getting $750 GEG-MSP (Domestic!)
Post #549 has someone getting $850 for MSP-NRT.
There are stories of $1000 overheard by others.
I got $600 this February for PIT-DTW oversold by 8. Multiple others in this thread have also gotten $600 domestically.

While not typical...it is unfair to say it never happens. Each time I have seen it happen..the red coat needs to ask permission. Better to pay someone $750 than pay an IDB $1300...
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:40 pm

Programs: All of the Above
It takes a Red Coat to go above $400 for domestic, and $600 for international I believe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.