Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
I personally enjoy reading these threads as it motivates me to find more VDB. Please keep up the good work.
I enjoy a good VDB now and again, but don't have an effective strategy to put myself in VDB situations. Anyone have a more reliable strategy (more reliable than just book Friday/Sunday flights)?
Old Sep 22, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by BumpMeVoucherMeATL
How can I delete the threadss? The intent behind the different threads was to delineate three distinct points arising from the same set of events. I apologize I've angered you so much as well as everyone else.
No anger bud, but if you were in a bar and someone was walking around telling a story, then did it again, then again, youd probably be over hearing about it as well
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL exDM MM
How can I delete the threadss? The intent behind the different threads was to delineate three distinct points arising from the same set of events. I apologize I've angered you so much as well as everyone else.
I do not mind multiple treads addressing different topics relating to the same trip. I do the same with emails when there are different issues to be addressed. I find that many threads get off-topic when there are many issues to be discussed.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I understand your point. I dropped the reticketing issue, but I'm curious to know what exactly you think will get me fired from life as a Medallion and relegated to Southwest? I didn't do anything wrong here. Delta screwed up and I called them on it. It's not my fault their gate agents grab Y inventory every time someone takes a VDB for a flight they knowingly oversold. Am I missing something here? Is your point that they'll get annoyed I kept (emphasis on past tense) asking?
Nope. With OP's records, not just PNR, noted, no GA will make the mistake again with this same pax. Smart thing to do when you get a bennie is to keep quiet.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Took the following voluntary bumps:

Delta 200 | Fri Sep 13 2103 | Overbooked by 5+ | $750 Voucher | Hotel @ Airport Marriott | $30 Meal Vouchers | Rebooked on same flight next day

Delta 200 | Sat Sep 14 2103 | Overbooked by 5+ | $750 Voucher | Hotel @ Airport Marriott | $30 Meal Vouchers | Rebooked on same flight next day

Delta 201 | Sat Sep 21 2103 | Overbooked by 7+ | $600 Voucher | Hotel @ Airport "City Lodge" | Meals included with Stay | Rebooked on same flight next day
Originally Posted by mridley2
Don't you have another thread on this already? How many personal threads do you need? You did very well. Good job. Thank you for flying delta.
Originally Posted by javabytes
I think this makes thread #3...
Sad to inform you that your $2100 VDB credits from a single trip are not even close to half of my personal record on just the outbound of one trip.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I personally enjoy reading these threads as it motivates me to find more VDB. Please keep up the good work.
Jesus, now I just feel bad for OP...
Old Sep 22, 2013, 4:58 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by timmy83
I enjoy a good VDB now and again, but don't have an effective strategy to put myself in VDB situations. Anyone have a more reliable strategy (more reliable than just book Friday/Sunday flights)?
I hesitated to post in this thread since I am opposed to multiple threads being started on the same/similar topic. But I wanted to respond to your question.

I always monitor my flight using tools like EF starting about 48 hours before departure. Then I check again within 24 hours of departure and more even closer to departure. If the flight looks zeroed out, I will be sure to get to the gate more than 1 hour before departure. Most times the GA's get to the gate about 1 hour before departure. Last time (July) on a DTW-MSP flight I saw the flight was zeroed out. I got to the gate about 70 minutes before departure and the agents were already there. I thought my chances dropped a lot since I was not there before they arrived. Asked about the possibility of an oversell and if they might need volunteers. It was a rare time when they said they needed me, rebooked me and gave me the VDB voucher right then, even before boarding.

If you don't have something like EF, you can call DL and ask if they are overbooked, but they might only say, "yes" but not by how many. Sometimes when they are overbooked they are still selling seats. So it is not as good of an indication as seeing the real-time availability.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
I understand your point. I dropped the reticketing issue, but I'm curious to know what exactly you think will get me fired from life as a Medallion and relegated to Southwest? I didn't do anything wrong here. Delta screwed up and I called them on it. It's not my fault their gate agents grab Y inventory every time someone takes a VDB for a flight they knowingly oversold. Am I missing something here? Is your point that they'll get annoyed I kept (emphasis on past tense) asking?
How did Delta screw up? Were you promised a rebook into a Y class ticket?

The GA rebooked you into Y for convenience and you want more miles and upgrades.

At the end of the day, you got the compensation you were promised and the seat that you paid for. Yes, BE was full of non-revs, but so what? That's an employee benefit.

David
Old Sep 22, 2013, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by misterbean
Getting bumped in the year 2103 is quite deserving of its own thread!
LOL...

Last edited by Doc Savage; Sep 22, 2013 at 10:30 pm
Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by DLATL777
No anger bud, but if you were in a bar and someone was walking around telling a story, then did it again, then again, youd probably be over hearing about it as well
Sheesh folks - if this bugs you so much click on the Moderator Alert button (the button that looks like a yield sign with an ! mark on it) and send a message to the forum moderator. They will be able to merge threads.

Imo, that is probably a better/kinder course of action than jumping over a relative "newbie."

OP - congrats on your bumps!
Old Sep 22, 2013, 11:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by Often1
Nope. With OP's records, not just PNR, noted, no GA will make the mistake again with this same pax. Smart thing to do when you get a bennie is to keep quiet.
Are you really suggesting that a GA who is lazy enough to be rebooking the OP into Y in the future will take the time to look at notes on his skymiles profile before doing the rebooking?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 4:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
Anything special going on in SA?
No, but ATL-JNB-ATL is heavily booked most of the time. Very rare to find too many open seat at most times of year.

Can't speak for the ATL-JNB leg, but JNB has been experiencing some pretty hot temperatures for this time of year. Given the earlier departure from JNB at this time of year I suspect that there might be some operational issues and hence payload penalties (which can include pax).
Old Sep 23, 2013, 4:45 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Bump Report: DTW-SFO

Hi All,

Took a VDB yesterday for $600, confirmed first class seats the remainder of the flight, and Westin hotel. Today my flight is oversold and I am going for another $400 VDB voucher. Stockpiling VDB is what you all need to be doing as you get MQD for it.

Regards,

mbwmbw
Old Sep 23, 2013, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Hi All,

Took a VDB yesterday for $600, confirmed first class seats the remainder of the flight, and Westin hotel. Today my flight is oversold and I am going for another $400 VDB voucher. Stockpiling VDB is what you all need to be doing as you get MQD for it.

Regards,

mbwmbw
This, along with many other related recent threads, can probably be consolidated here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-boarding.html

Other recent threads on VDB:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...b-jnb-atl.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ta-6254-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...l-airline.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...rds-delta.html
Old Sep 23, 2013, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Much discussion on the "master" VDB thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-boarding.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.