Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.175 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by icurhere2
Originally Posted by fgirard
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.175 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

That's almost like telling someone to go "North" or "South" on the beltway.
And this was before we could get directions on a phone.
I think the sad part is that the phone indicates either a "North" or "South" direction
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:35 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

I got upgraded on two of my flights, one being a “red-eye.”

Not to be ungrateful, but that is not what I wanted.

I was hoping to score a “bump” instead.

I thought upgrades were so difficult to come by on Delta Air Lines — not that I ever really had any trouble.

Well, hopefully I will get the “bump” on the way out...
Old Aug 19, 2010, 3:49 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Morning to The Lounge™!

Something different to start your day, which I hope is a good one!
Old Aug 19, 2010, 4:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by underpressure
source: ABJ Saturday, September 19, 2009 Jewell Cardwell

Originally Posted by Akron Beacon Journal
Best wishes for teen

Big, beautiful bouquets to 14-year-old Allison Marie Gmerek, a brave little girl from Uniontown who has been through so much and has given so much to others.

I first learned of Allison earlier in the year, when she donated more than 12 inches of hair to Wigs for Kids (based in Rocky River) to be made into wigs for children who have experienced hair loss for medical reasons.

Allison, daughter of Steve and Lynn Gmerek, was born with a very serious congenital heart defect called hypoplastic left heart syndrome and has undergone a number of heart surgeries, the first when she was only five days old. She had a pacemaker implanted at 5 and again at 12.

Her mother was kind enough to furnish this update:

''It was discovered about four weeks ago the pacemaker she had became infected and she is currently at the Cleveland Clinic. Her infected pacemaker has been removed and she is sitting patiently waiting for another surgery so they can install a new one. We normally do not like to broadcast our personal issues but the fact that Allison has chalked up another surgery, waiting to do it again with a smile on her face, is so incredible.

''As parents we are so tired of asking her to do this and the pain is unbearable to say goodbye every time she is carted off to surgery. But she keeps fighting back . . .

''Her spirits have been great with the help of us bringing in Marcelita's Mexican food!''

This time around, Allison is expected to be in the hospital four to five weeks.
Encouragement cards are very much welcomed. Please mail to: Allison Gmerek, The Cleveland Clinic, 9500 Euclid Ave., M43-06, Cleveland, Ohio 44195.

This is my grand-niece...if any of you has a postcard that you can send to her, it will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

UP
A year later, and Allison is Atlanta Braves material! ^ ^ ^
Old Aug 19, 2010, 5:11 am

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
It seems that we are taking a vote---via post-it notes to determine our plan of attack,
As to the poll, my responses were:
  1. Spatula
  2. São Tomé and Príncipe

No wonder your meetings last so long --- communication is via post-its

And for your poll:

1. Knife

2. Tuvalu (was going to say Niue, but it's only partially sovereign)
Old Aug 19, 2010, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
...That's almost like telling someone to go "North" or "South" on the beltway.
The first six months that I was working in Northern Virginia (it was quite a long time ago), I was puzzled when the guy on WTOP used the terms "inner loop" and "outer loop."

As far as I could see, around Tysons and Merrifield, the Beltway ran north and south.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 6:23 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

My thoughts and condolences are with you regarding the passing of you ex-father-in-law, Dovster.
From Kroger - the nearest Publix and Costco to my home are in BNA proper (about an hour away).
I can walk to the nearest Publix, which is across the street from Dunkin Donuts and Waffle House.
So, it looks like another late night is ahead of us.
Amateur...

...I just did an “all-nighter” and am preparing to leave in 2.5 hours to drive to the airport to catch the first of my flights to the west coast.
Finally--quick poll--during this evening's brainstorming session, we started a poll (via post-it notes and gchat) about 2 things:
  1. Favorite kitchen utensil
  2. Most unknown country

Therefore, I am merely passing the poll to The Lounge™
I am surprised that nobody voted for shovel as their favourite kitchen utensil.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 6:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat

In Israel, people give driving instructions based on things which are no longer there.

"Go straight down this street and turn left where grocery store used to be."

If I knew the area well enough to know where the blasted grocery store used to be I wouldn't be asking for directions!
Old Aug 19, 2010, 7:02 am

Programs: DL:PM - Reserve, 2MM, FC, RW; HH: SILVER MR: SILVER
One of my daughter's who is a Junior this year at Auburn will be getting her Masters in Early Childhood and Elementary Education, told me last weekend that she is working on Plan B in the case that the economy doesn't improve when she graduates and can't find a job. She told me she and one of her roomates were considering becoming a FA as a plan B, so I told her to come observe the RWT during the DO. I figured after if watching this group in action didn't change her mind, nothing would.

Originally Posted by Dovster
Please keep the terminology correct. It is "Traveller's Incredibly Gorgeous Blonde Sister".

(Not to be confused with scoow's Sexy Sister-in-Law.)
Can you publish a pocket guide? Might be helpful to hand out at the DO for those of us that find it hard to keep up with the correct terminology.

Originally Posted by N639DL
Disability pax did not pre-board. BP scanning was paused after Zone 1 was checked off, and then a person in a wheelchair boarded. After Zone 2 boarded, BP scanning again paused and a man that was mentally handicapped boarded with whoever it was he was traveling with.
I don't know the specific details on the situation you encountered, but I will tell you this, Delta ACS takes the issue of handling passengers with Disabilities very seriously. I recently had the opportunity to speak with someone at Delta about this very topic in preparation for the upcoming DO, and I learned that there is a cross devision team at Delta that is learning about how to handle passengers with Diasbilities directly from Disney. There will likely be some new ACS policies regarding this in the near future. Delta is also providing support to anyone attending the DO that needs special accomodations. Finally, I was recently on a flight where the flight attendant asked me to be the ABP for two disabled passengers in the first row of coach. There is a lot more to handling passengers with disabilities than zone # or the order in which they are boarded on the aircraft.

On a much more serious note than usual, one of the finest men it has been my pleasure to know died this week.
My sincere condolenses to you and your ex. Thanks for sharing the story, it was inspiring.

Originally Posted by mersk862
I think I just figured out my travel for the next couple of months.

There is good news involved with said activity - as it stands, it looks like I have a very good chance of making Diamond by the time of the DO (likely on the Saturday evening before hand on a SFO-ATL redeye on a 767...)
Congratulations!!! I am so far from Diamond this year, I don't think I could make it happen unless I did a few TPAC MRs out of RDU before the end of the year. But then again, there is Nov and Dec to get that done.

I, also, demand compensation when a pilot scans BPs. The horror of it is unbelievable!
Hmmm... Better watch out for future BP scanners.

Originally Posted by Vuelos
Mersk is my intelligent counterbalance. While he might tell some people to stick it you know where... it takes a lot for him to want to put the smack down on someone....
We all need this... sort of the Ying to your Yang.

Again, you must mention Publix and annoy me greatly.

I'm having my friend that lives in St Augustine that is flying up to MSP tomorrow for the weekend bring my Dunkin Donuts tomorrow at least.
PUBLIX, Publix, publix...

DD= Dunkin Donuts
DD= Delta Dollars

One tastes better

A pre-flight takes lots of specialized training, etc. that a gate agent does not have.

Scanning boarding passes does not take any special training or ability.

Big time difference between the two.
HUGE difference between the two. Every pilot learns how to do a pre-flight for the specific aircraft they are flying. There are Pre-flights, and Pre-Pre flight walkarounds know as PPPs that are meant to notice and correct any issues or defects with the aircraft.

Originally Posted by scoow
Krispy Kremes are SO much better than DD. But, remind me & I'll bring some to the Do.
KK are a completely different donut than DD. I agree with your assessment, I like KK better than DD. But... DD has a wider variety.

So we already have a Waffle House visitation during the Do. I could easily add a KK vs DD taste test to the list o' activities.
As you should, but not on the same day as the WH visit. You should have a "clean" palet for the taste test. It is rumored that eating Hash Browns could skew the results.

And well, clearly, we all know I am definitely not well-trained enough to scan BPs, I guess
Let me see what I can do to rectify that situation.

2. Most unknown country
1. Toss up between the Wisk and the Broom
2. Turkmenistan

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Hmmm... is that like saying "Let the door BUMP you on the way out?"

AWESOME NEWS! ^
Old Aug 19, 2010, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by atldlff
One of my daughter's who is a Junior this year at Auburn will be getting her Masters in Early Childhood and Elementary Education, told me last weekend that she is working on Plan B in the case that the economy doesn't improve when she graduates and can't find a job. She told me she and one of her roomates were considering becoming a FA as a plan B, so I told her to come observe the RWT during the DO. I figured after if watching this group in action didn't change her mind, nothing would.
And if it doesn't, you'll end up with a FlyerTalker as well as a FA. An then she will convert her siblings ....
Old Aug 19, 2010, 8:38 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
And if it doesn't, you'll end up with a FlyerTalker as well as a FA. An then she will convert her siblings ....
I hope the FlyerTalker he ends up with isn't Dovster.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 8:46 am

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by DLNYC
Well, wasn't there a movie (or two) semi-recently about said country?
Yes, but I just like the name.

I got upgraded on two of my flights, one being a “red-eye.”

Not to be ungrateful, but that is not what I wanted.

I thought upgrades were so difficult to come by on Delta Air Lines — not that I ever really had any trouble.

Why would you not want an upgrade?

^

...I just did an “all-nighter” and am preparing to leave in 2.5 hours to drive to the airport to catch the first of my flights to the west coast.
That's brutal, the only all-nighter I would pull for a flight is if it was a 5:45a flight..because I'd be getting up at 2:30a anyways...

Originally Posted by atldlff
I don't know the specific details on the situation you encountered, but I will tell you this, Delta ACS takes the issue of handling passengers with Disabilities very seriously. I recently had the opportunity to speak with someone at Delta about this very topic in preparation for the upcoming DO, and I learned that there is a cross devision team at Delta that is learning about how to handle passengers with Diasbilities directly from Disney. There will likely be some new ACS policies regarding this in the near future. Delta is also providing support to anyone attending the DO that needs special accomodations. Finally, I was recently on a flight where the flight attendant asked me to be the ABP for two disabled passengers in the first row of coach. There is a lot more to handling passengers with disabilities than zone # or the order in which they are boarded on the aircraft.
Very interesting, I had no idea that DL is learning from Disney.

Last edited by N639DL; Aug 19, 2010 at 9:52 am Reason: grammar
Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:45 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Again, you must mention Publix and annoy me greatly.

I'm having my friend that lives in St Augustine that is flying up to MSP tomorrow for the weekend bring my Dunkin Donuts tomorrow at least.
I will bring you a memento from Publix.

So, it looks like another late night is ahead of us. However, a few of us have been craving Waffle House as of late, and we've been meaning to either send a intern or go on a "fact-finding" field trip. Unfortunately, the only one that I remember is down in Fredericksburg--which would be quite a lengthy trip at that.

The other option is taking another field trip to the Wawa on MD-2 in Prince Frederick, as our beverage supply is running low and Wawa iced tea is addictive. (The Woodford at this point is saved for the completion of this madness).

Finally--quick poll--during this evening's brainstorming session, we started a poll (via post-it notes and gchat) about 2 things:
  2. Most unknown country

Therefore, I am merely passing the poll to The Lounge™
There was a Wawa a few blocks from work in Bear, DE we would frequent. A wide variety of cold and hot foods to select from for lunch. Too bad they are not in FL.

Utensil - a very sharp Chef's knife. One can open a can, cut and eat with this knife.
Most unknown country - Tuvalu

Instead of MD 2/MD 4, it's actually just called "Route 4" (or Solomons Island Road, or Pennsylvania Avenue Extended) in Prince Frederick.

icurhere2 was born in Prince Frederick.
There are a number of roads in the FLL/MIA area with multiple names. I saw one with five names on one sign.

Originally Posted by monitor
The first six months that I was working in Northern Virginia (it was quite a long time ago), I was puzzled when the guy on WTOP used the terms "inner loop" and "outer loop."

As far as I could see, around Tysons and Merrifield, the Beltway ran north and south.
Sounds like I-285 around ATL.

Great news! ^

In Israel, people give driving instructions based on things which are no longer there.

"Go straight down this street and turn left where grocery store used to be."

If I knew the area well enough to know where the blasted grocery store used to be I wouldn't be asking for directions!
I had one commander in Italy who, while giving directions, said to turn left at the farm house with the green shutters. Given that we were in the Po valley and at this time of year the fog was thicker than mud I was surprised at this reference. He was unable to be more specific (e.g. X distance from this intersection) and the drive turned into a road trip.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Italy98

Utensil - a very sharp Chef's knife. One can open a can, cut and eat with this knife.
Most unknown country - Tuvalo
That was my answer!
Old Aug 19, 2010, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by secretsea18
That was my answer!
Great minds think alike!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.