Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bakrgby
All,

A wikipost seemed to be useful for this thread to help FTers find the most current infomation regarding DL's Status Match Challenge.

SKYMILES MEDALLION® STATUS MATCH CHALLENGE

Official Delta Site and Sign-Up

Status Match Period:
90 Days

MQM/MQS Qualifying Flights must be flown on Delta, Delta Connection or Partner Flights:
In order to extend your Medallion status after the 90 days, you'll need to earn a specific number of Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) within the 90 days of enrolling by flying Delta or Delta Connection®, and partner airlines.

Comparable Status:
  • DL Silver Medallion (FO) - AA Gold; UA Premier Silver; AS MVP
  • DL Gold Medallion (GM) - AA Platinum; UA Premier Gold; AS MVP Gold
  • DL Platinum Medallion (PM) - AA Executive Platinum; UA 1K; AS MVP Gold 75K
  • DL Diamond Medallion (DM) - DL does not typically match to DM.
    From dl.com: If you have status with another airline not listed above, you may still be eligible for this challenge. Please submit your information below to confirm eligibility.

MQM / MQS Requirement:
  • FO: 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs and $750MQD or MQD waiver
  • GM: 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs and $1500MQD or MQD waiver
  • PM: 18,750 MQMs or 25 MQSs and $2250MQD or MQD waiver
"MQMs/MQSs/MQDs earned through other sources, including but not limited to SkyMiles Credit Cards, do not count towards the challenge."

Criteria for Participation:
  • Member has not received a status match or complimentary Medallion status in the past three years
  • Is currently a non-Medallion member
  • Must present valid and current elite credential or statement showing elite status from another airline
  • Status being matched must be earned and not complementary.

Other Notes from dl.com:
  • A physical Medallion membership card will not be issued for the 90-day qualification period. You may enjoy Medallion benefits on Delta or Delta Connection by providing your SkyMiles number when making reservations or at check-in. You can also access your Membership Card through the Fly Delta app. During the 90-day period, you will not have access to all reciprocal Medallion benefits with Delta's partner airlines, including access to SkyTeam® lounges.
  • Members who are matched to Platinum Medallion status will not be eligible for Choice Benefits until the flight requirement to maintain Platinum Medallion status is met.
  • Through this offer, you may maintain the same or lower Medallion status level as your matched status. If you are matched to Silver Medallion status, you will not be able to earn Gold Medallion status through this offer, even if you will fly more than 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs during the offer period. But if you have been matched to Gold Medallion status and you only fly 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs, you will earn Silver Medallion status. Your Medallion status will be returned to non-Medallion status if you are unable to complete the minimum flight requirement before the end of the 90-day period.
  • Medallion status match is only offered for Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion levels.

When to request:
  • Requests from 1/1 - 6/30 will receive status through 1/31 of the following year.
  • Requests from 7/1 - 12/31 will receive status through 1/31 of the second year.

Corporate accounts:
Depending on your company's agreement with Delta, you may have different qualification requirements and/or an alternate method of requesting a status match or challenge. Check your company's intranet or travel manager.

Current Processing Time:
4-5 days as of July 31st 2022
Print Wikipost

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2020, 10:01 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Trying to figure out whether a status match is worth it and whether I'll really get anything out of it. Currently WN A-List Preferred (former UA flyer). Do a lot of flying within CA so WN fits me. I have two transcons coming up. The only two airlines I'm considering are DL and WN due to their middle seat blocking policy. WN really doesn't have options to get me where I'm going due to reduced schedules, so DL seems like the winner. My question is whether I should go for the status match for those 2 flights? I'd be Gold for 3 months, but would that get me anything? Maybe some Comfort+ upgrades? Maybe an upgrade to F? Free baggage doesn't really matter since it'll be on the company. Might have a third transcon in December (but it might push to January). How are Gold's faring right now for upgrades?
What specific routes will you be flying? I'm Silver with Delta Reserve card flying mostly short regional hops on CRJs. My upgrade percent to First is 70% post-COVID, but less often on mainline flights with larger equipment. On regional flights (CRJs) I usually get the upgrade to First. There has only been one time post-COVID I didn't get a Comfort+ upgrade, which was on a mainline flight... Even pre-COVID as a Silver, Comfort+ upgrades were plentiful but usually missed on hub-to-hub or other medallion-heavy routes (e.g., MSP-SFO). At a minimum, I was usually able to at least snag an exit row seat, which you get access to as Medallion. As Gold, your upgrade odds should be better than mine. Not sure how the upgrade list looks for the premium transcon routes, however.

As a general note, I have largely been happy with Delta post-COVID. Middle seat blocking has been nice, and staff have been great. Many folks are unhappy about the relatively limited food and beverage service, but I've remedied this by having a beer and dinner on the ground. In First and C+, they serve beer and wine only.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tardyturtle
What specific routes will you be flying? I'm Silver with Delta Reserve card flying mostly short regional hops on CRJs. My upgrade percent to First is 70% post-COVID, but less often on mainline flights with larger equipment. On regional flights (CRJs) I usually get the upgrade to First. There has only been one time post-COVID I didn't get a Comfort+ upgrade, which was on a mainline flight... Even pre-COVID as a Silver, Comfort+ upgrades were plentiful but usually missed on hub-to-hub or other medallion-heavy routes (e.g., MSP-SFO). At a minimum, I was usually able to at least snag an exit row seat, which you get access to as Medallion. As Gold, your upgrade odds should be better than mine. Not sure how the upgrade list looks for the premium transcon routes, however.

As a general note, I have largely been happy with Delta post-COVID. Middle seat blocking has been nice, and staff have been great. Many folks are unhappy about the relatively limited food and beverage service, but I've remedied this by having a beer and dinner on the ground. In First and C+, they serve beer and wine only.
Route is likely SNA-ATL-RIC-ATL-ONT and SNA-ATL-IAD-MSP-SNA. Mostly mainline, but there might be a CRJ900 in there somewhere
Old Dec 13, 2020, 11:47 pm

Question What's the best time to enroll Status Match Challenge?

Hi, I'm starting from scratch on DL Status Match Challenge. I'm wondering what's the best moment to enroll the challenge?
I have a valid Japan Airlines JGC Sapphire Tier (archived on 2019).
I'm planning to apply a new Amex Delta Platinum CC in order to get the MQD waiver, this concern comes to my first questions, is it true that if I'm expecting to get the MQD waiver then I'd have to spend $25,000 before applying challenge?
My second questions would be, when is the best time to enroll the challenge? Since the spending has to be occurred from Jan 1, 2021 onwards because MQD waiver calculated on calendar year period, as above also stated that if I have to apply after spending $25,000 on the new CC, which means If I enroll the challenge before July, 2021, would be my DL Gold only going to be valid until January 31, 2022? But if I enroll it after the second half of 2021, would this give my tier valid to 2023?
I also want to know if it's possible in this way, I enroll the Challenge on Jan 1, 2021, assume I could fly 12,500 MQMs within 90 days, but I wouldn't be able to spend $1,500 MQDs, however, maybe someday in August, 2021 (example) I will spend $25,000 on my new CC, which this give me the waiver of the MQDs requirements, then I could become the DL gold on August? Or simply saying, if I enroll on Jan 1, 2021, I'd have to spend $25,000 on my new CC and accumulate 12,500 MQMs within 3 months.
The last but not least question, if I wait to enroll the challenge on 2021, would my JAL record still be accepted by Delta? Because all the flights on record would be on 2019, I thought that Delta wants to see records from the last 12 months, right?
Thanks

Last edited by ericmc; Dec 14, 2020 at 8:07 pm
Old Dec 14, 2020, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whose status are you matching from? It looks like you have status in FB. You do realize that DL will not match status from fellow Skyteam carriers? Also, they don't match promotional status (you must show your flying activity to demonstrate you actually met the standard status requirements). As explained in the T&C's on delta.com, the Amex spend MQD Waiver must be met by the end of the 3 month challenge period. Your status would not be extended beyond the 3 month challenge or retroactively granted if you started in January and did not meet Amex spend MQD Waiver requirement until August.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 8:15 pm

Thanks for replying, I'm currently having JAL JGC Sapphire archived on 2019. TBH, I'm not sure if Delta will consider my application because all the flight records from JAL were from 2019, I haven't flighted any on 2020.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ericmc
Thanks for replying, I'm currently having JAL JGC Sapphire archived on 2019. TBH, I'm not sure if Delta will consider my application because all the flight records from JAL were from 2019, I haven't flighted any on 2020.
Flights flown in 2019 to earn 2020 year status should be perfectly acceptable as long as JAL status is still active. If you wait until 2021 to apply and your JAL status has expired, that could be more problematic. Although they might be willing to make an exception due to Covid situation.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 10:25 pm

you are right, that's one of the problems that I'm concerning, because if I'm applying before the end of this year, how could I make a purchase of $25,000 in 90 days on the new CC?
Old Dec 14, 2020, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't know if you are willing to consider a mileage/MQD run, but if you are close to BOS or JFK, there are $500 roundtrip Aeromexico biz fares to CUN that will earn close to or over 1500 MQD's (depending on routing) as long as flights are booked as AM coded flights.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 15, 2020 at 12:50 pm
Old Dec 15, 2020, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is the OP sure that there's a MQD waiver (based on $25,000 spend on a DL AmEx credit card) for the status challenge? Look at the T&C very carefully and do not assume.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is the OP sure that there's a MQD waiver (based on $25,000 spend on a DL AmEx credit card) for the status challenge? Look at the T&C very carefully and do not assume.
Yes, the AMEX spend MQD Waiver can be applied to status challenge. If you've already met the $25K spend requirement for the calendar year and apply for Match Challenge in same calendar year, the Waiver will be applied. However, if you haven't yet met it, you have to meet it by the end of the 3 month challenge window for it to apply.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
Yes, the AMEX spend MQD Waiver can be applied to status challenge. If you've already met the $25K spend requirement for the calendar year and apply for Match Challenge in same calendar year, the Waiver will be applied. However, if you haven't yet met it, you have to meet it by the end of the 3 month challenge window for it to apply.
I think my concern now is do I need to enroll of challenge before the end of 2020 based on my JAL Sapphire that I archived on 2019, or enroll on 2021 after I spent $25,000 on my new CC
Old Dec 16, 2020, 5:30 pm

Please forgive this potentially dumb question:

Delta's Status Match Challenge website says that one applying for the challenge "present both 1) a valid, current elite physical or digital membership card or credential with your name on it and 2) a statement showing your earned elite status with an airline and the corresponding activity with that airline that made you achieve that status, with your name on it."

Where does one find these for United and Southwest? I'm able to find my digital MileagePlus card, but I don't see one anywhere for Southwest. I also dont' know where to find "a statement showing your earned elite status with an airline and the corresponding activity with that airline that made you achieve that status." I'm not sure I've ever seen such a statement for either airline.

Would someone be kind enough to point me to these items?
Old Dec 18, 2020, 11:15 pm

Are they still sending out physical credentials when you complete the requirements for a status challenge? I did a few months ago, and so far naught...
Old Dec 19, 2020, 3:02 am

Programs: SkyMedallion Platinum, MileagePlus Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Originally Posted by nall
Are they still sending out physical credentials when you complete the requirements for a status challenge? I did a few months ago, and so far naught...
after a while I received my Delta GM bag tags, I forget how long after though. I may have received two sets: one when I enrolled and one when I completed the challenge, I don’t remember exactly
Old Dec 19, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nall
They stopped providing physical credentials last year. They only send out luggage tags to Medallions now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.