Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive “How To Earn Delta Air Lines SkyMiles” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive “How To Earn Delta Air Lines SkyMiles” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2009, 7:50 am

Get a voucher for miles for future travel?

Hi...I'm a noob!

Is it possible to redeem miles for a 'voucher' that you can use a later period towards an award ticket? That is, I am not sure about dates of travel, but would like to get an voucher for my miles that I can then use, say within the next one year or so, to simply book a flight?

If such a voucher exists what is the time frame to use it?

Many thanks in advance.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 8:15 am
gsw

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by chapp
Hi...I'm a noob!

Is it possible to redeem miles for a 'voucher' that you can use a later period towards an award ticket? That is, I am not sure about dates of travel, but would like to get an voucher for my miles that I can then use, say within the next one year or so, to simply book a flight?

If such a voucher exists what is the time frame to use it?

Many thanks in advance.

Welcome to FT, Chapp!

Why do you want a voucher? What advantage do you see over SM per se?
Old Oct 5, 2009, 1:08 pm

Ways to earn SkyMiles -10-5-09

What are the Slick ways to earn miles currently available, that do not require me to fly or spend a fortune. It seems like this forum is mostly for talking about problems, I just want to know how to Earn miles. Already signed up for the useless Amex card and got cheated on the miles bonus for that , so we can cross that off the list, and I just got off phone with the suntrust people, seemed shady so im not gonna do that. What else we got?
Old Oct 5, 2009, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by tigerguy999
What are the Slick ways to earn miles currently available, that do not require me to fly or spend a fortune. It seems like this forum is mostly for talking about problems, I just want to know how to Earn miles. Already signed up for the useless Amex card and got cheated on the miles bonus for that , so we can cross that off the list, and I just got off phone with the suntrust people, seemed shady so im not gonna do that. What else we got?
Since one man's fortune is another man's chump change and since you don't want to fly and have done the Amex/SunTrust thing...

5000 bonus SkyMiles from Avis for a 4+ day rental or 3000 bonus SkyMiles for a 3-day rental

3050 SkyMiles from Budget for a 1-day rental

25% bonus miles on Wyndham Rewards stays

You can work that Amex here: Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping (lots of effort but essentially free)
Old Oct 5, 2009, 1:49 pm

Programs: Delta - Silver
You want to earn FF miles, but don't want want to travel? Perhaps you'd be better served with a different rewards card?
Old Oct 5, 2009, 1:52 pm

okay, im looking into the coin thing now,

I also don't want to rent any cars or stay at any hotels.

what else we got?

Also, Im trying to do a DTW to BKK but the award chart on delta is horrid, there is no departing awards at ANY mile redemption level for like 4 months! until like march is the latest It says I can redem miles to leave and august is the earliest to come back, BUT visa can be max of 3 months....

<publicmsu - yeah I do all my stuff with u.s bank visa rewards thing. works great, downside...you can use the points to credit your account directly for $$$ so points go to $$$, love miles , but love $$$ more.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Make sure to log into your account when doing award searches first, and do so on nwa.com and not on delta.com (to search for the award flight).
Old Oct 5, 2009, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by publicmsu
You want to earn FF miles, but don't want want to travel? Perhaps you'd be better served with a different rewards card?
I think he wants to travel for free but doesn't want to fly on paid tickets to earn the FF miles to do so.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Wanting to amass FF miles without flying, renting cars, staying in hotels or getting credit cards is like wanting to make a cake without flour, sugar, eggs, or butter.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 2:20 pm

yeah the coin thing is interesting but god that has to be a pita , so ill pass on that.

real hj - yeah I can do that, but from today I decided to not involve with any nwa stuff anymore. its just too much stress to worry about some problem with a ticket or miles not posting etc., Also eventually nwa's website will be taken down right? im assuming it will automatically forward the visitor to the delta website.

(stripe - correct I have flown on paid tickets and got miles, but prefer to fly for free - by getting non-flight mile rewards)

bear - well i have my own car, and place dont want to spend money to rent car or hotel for no reason but to get miles. Im down for credit cards, if you read I did useless amex card as well as suntrust( not even in my state), heck even did 2 nwa cards rushed in before the switch.

what other good ideas? like a promotion sign up spend $80 at skymall get -rediculously high number of miles. remember there was like a spreadsheet for that with nwa seeing how cheap we could get it. think I spent like $20 for 8k miles on that one. (thanks to whoever did spreadsheet)
Old Oct 5, 2009, 2:38 pm

thanks for moving my post to where no one will respond to it. what a waste of my time.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 2:39 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

thanks for moving my post to where no one will respond to it. what a waste of my time.
You are welcome, and not true.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 4:48 pm

actually what is a waste of time is doing no research on your own, asking everyone else who has done research to help you, and then you decide you don't like the suggestion or don't want to put the work in and keep asking "what else you got". to answer that question, how about nothing.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 3:36 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Easiest (free?) way to get 6 Skymiles?

I need 6 Skymiles more to redeem a transatlantic award. Any suggestions of the easiest / free way to do so?

Will Delta give me the award, regardless? Or insist that I top up with 6 miles?
(This is for a non-elite Delta account.)
Old Jan 12, 2010, 3:38 am

Programs: Delta SKYMILES GM 1MM, BRITISH AIRWAYS GOLD, HHONOURS DIAMOND, PRIORITY PASS
www.points.com 10 miles for enrolling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.