Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jun 12, 2008, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass

UPDATE JUL 22, 2011: Announcement from US Mint: The United States Mint has eliminated the credit and debit card purchase of $1 Coins through its Direct Ship Program effective July 22, 2011. Customers who wish to purchase $1 coins through the Direct Ship Program can still do so by wire transfer, check, or money order.

UPDATE OCT 2009: A FAQ has been sticked in this forum that may answer many questions you may have about buying Dollar Coins from the U.S. Mint. Please read it if you have any questions.

UPDATE AUG 11, 08: Multiple coins are available for order today:

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs...category=16238

Jun 12, 2008 post:

Buy Presidential $1 Coins with your rewards credit card from the US Mint at Face Value, and get free shipping.

Has this already been discussed?

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs...egory_rn=16238

When placing an order, the pull-down shipping option may list a standard shipping price of $4.95. When you continue to the next screen, you should see the shipping amount change to "Shipping and Handling $0.00" on the order summary/review screen before you submit your order.

Last edited by anthonyanthony; Jul 22, 2011 at 6:29 pm Reason: Update for announcement by US Mint
Old Jun 12, 2008, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA and HH
Originally Posted by anthonyanthony
Thanks, First Ive heard of it. I just placed an order and may place more. Rackin up the points on the CC.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gbryan84
may place more.
You are limited to $500 of coins per president.

here's the press release:
http://usmint.gov/pressroom/index.cf...release&ID=911

And the release schedule:
http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/...ction=schedule
Old Jun 12, 2008, 5:24 pm

i just ordered $500
it will be interesting when i walk into the bank to make a deposit with 2 boxes of coins
Old Jun 12, 2008, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azmmza
it will be interesting when i walk into the bank to make a deposit with 2 boxes of coins

That's not the point of this. Why don't you circulate them?
Old Jun 12, 2008, 5:45 pm

Question

Does anyone know if this posts to the credit card as a normal purchase or as a cash advance? I poked around the site, but did not find this information.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 6:22 pm

Thanks for this! I'm in for $500
Old Jun 12, 2008, 6:43 pm

Innovative. :-)

Now, where's the best place to spend this many dollar coins? I really don't want to be THAT guy holding up the grocery line with 150 of these things...
Old Jun 12, 2008, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm planning to use them for all of my cash purchases, which tend to be small $ transactions because I use my credit card everywhere else.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 7:25 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
I like to use dollar coins for tips ^
Old Jun 12, 2008, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Hmm, only 4,000 boxes to get lifetime Gold on AA... who'll be the next PresidentialCoinGuy?

(I use cash so rarely that this would only be worthwhile for me if I just deposited them at the bank, which not only goes against the spirit of the program, but is also just a major pain in the butt... not to mention that the most I'd make out of it would be 1.5%, which isn't worth the hassle of schlepping coins to the bank.)

Last edited by cepheid; Jul 18, 2008 at 1:51 am Reason: bad math, rubbed in again and again =P
Old Jun 12, 2008, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by BigDog
Does anyone know if this posts to the credit card as a normal purchase or as a cash advance? I poked around the site, but did not find this information.
It just shows up as a normal purchase. I have bought several things off of thier site including the gold buffalo. If you do order something that is out of stock they won't bill your credit card until the item ships.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 8:53 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Originally Posted by cepheid
Hmm, only 200 boxes to get lifetime Gold on AA... who'll be the next PresidentialCoinGuy?
Unfortunately:

"Orders are limited to two boxes ($500) per President."

There will be four coins issued per annum starting in 2007:

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/$1coin/index.cfm?flash=yes&action=schedule

Right now, there are only 8 Presidential $1 coins issued.

A president has to be no longer living to have the coin issued.

Since we are only up to president #43 (Yes, Grover Cleveland gets two coins!) and of the 43, 4 are still alive. So even if it was 2016 (the projected end of the program) already, there will only be 39 coins (x2 = 78 boxes) available for purchase.

(Though indeed, it is possible that one or more of the currently living four may not live to 2016, but this still means only 86 boxes available at most in 2016)
Old Jun 12, 2008, 9:02 pm

I like to use dollar coins for tips
On this plan, that means either a lot of tips or expensive tips (since 8x$500 is a lot). Either way, if you're looking for a waiter, I'm just a PM away...
Old Jun 12, 2008, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL PM, BA Silver, Bonvoy LT PLT
Thanks for the post.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.