Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How much compensation would you request for nonfunctional BE seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much compensation would you request for nonfunctional BE seat?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2024, 10:20 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2.3MM, IHG Diamond Elite
I’m guessing that D1 is full on your flight, thereby not giving you the opportunity to switch to a different seat. Most FAs know how to reset the seats in D1, so I guess you’re out of luck on this flight if that’s the case. I would contact DL later and see what they will do as the flight leader will document the problem and then DL can verify it.

Last edited by audidudi; Mar 1, 2024 at 10:26 am
Old Mar 1, 2024, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by tennessetom
This is an area where I think delta is way too stingy on comp and needs to rethink a little what people are paying for when they buy D1, last I had a seat issue I requested 50,000 miles, it was a tatl flight was told all they could offer was 15,000 but then dl actually deposited 25,000 miles,
I could have sworn back in the mid 2010s a non functional lie flat got me 25K, and that was from the Purser. I'm shocked to see 5K for a D1.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by audidudi
I’m guessing that D1 is full on your flight, thereby not giving you the opportunity to switch to a different seat. Most FAs know how to reset the seats in D1, so I guess you’re out of luck on this flight if that’s the case. I would contact DL later and see what they will do as the flight leader will document the problem and then DL can verify it.
Also, if there was a nonrev in D1, the purser should have told the nonrev to switch seats with you, ideally asking you first whether you would like to switch seats. The same should happen if the AVOD system at your seat isn't working and cannot be fixed during the flight.
rylan and travelingdrsuz like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Also, if there was a nonrev in D1, the purser should have told the nonrev to switch seats with you, ideally asking you first whether you would like to switch seats. The same should happen if the AVOD system at your seat isn't working and cannot be fixed during the flight.
I'm yet to see a DL purser do that... most of the time they seem to be more protective of non-revs than actual full-fare passengers.

On a recent flight to EZE, there were a few open D1 seats and the purser told the cabin crew they could rest there. My seat's controls were having issues and the purser just told me too bad.
resolute likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fly747first
I'm yet to see a DL purser do that... most of the time they seem to be more protective of non-revs than actual full-fare passengers.

On a recent flight to EZE, there were a few open D1 seats and the purser told the cabin crew they could rest there. My seat's controls were having issues and the purser just told me too bad.
I had purser make non-rev move on GRU flight. Only issue was IFE was broke.

I would've asked for one of the empty D1 seats if not offered.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 3:10 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM, UA Silver (thanks Marriott!), Marriott Ambassador
Wow! Me too! Must have been going around yesterday.... Leap year gremlins?

I was on DL from HND to DTW and had a D1 seat that stopped working altogether about 1 hour after takeoff. It completely lost power and the control panel went dark for lights too. Also had an awful crew except for one FA (especially the Purser who was not cutout for the job and never did anything to help or try and remedy the situation.- no leadership ability whatsoever and awful service skills) The one helpful FA tried to fix and couldn't and they ended up cranking seat into bed where it stayed almost entire flight except for near end when it was cranked to lounge position at my request where it was when we landed and I had to sit in it for landing like that. Took 3 FAs about 30 minutes each time they moved seat position.. They said someone would contact me from customer service to make things right, yeah sure..The one good FA gave me some miles and said I deserve way more but that's all her system would allow at the time.. In all my 2+ MM, this was biggest DL fail I've experienced. Also 2 of 3 bags were delayed 2 days for no apparent reason , and on flight TO HND I also had a broken suite door that was inoperable and had been written up. Purser on that flight (who was good) said the seat should not have been occupied, but somehow I ended up with it anyway. Their hard product issues are becoming significant and noticeable lately. Not a premium airline any longer with so many issues..
lindros2 and lc412000 like this.

Last edited by resolute; Mar 2, 2024 at 3:22 am
Old Mar 2, 2024, 3:15 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM, UA Silver (thanks Marriott!), Marriott Ambassador

Shameful! This would never happen on an Asian airline I bet..
fly747first likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 4:14 am

well, Ive had it happen for me. So I know it does happen and because that FA told me that this was supposed to happen, if I ever have this problem again, I will specifically ask. If I know theyre non-revs on the flight (its pretty easy usually to tell) and I dont get moved I would be asking for even more compensation

But I suggest asking explicitly if there are non-revs in the cabin, and if so, will they trade with you. If they say no, Id be making sure the person who says no understands that your complaint will point this out to Delta. I had to complain about the behavior of non-rev passengers on a plane once and I think I got about 25,000 for the pilots wives acting like 14-year-old brats Did you know that spouses of pilots dont have to stand in line for bathrooms because they are related to a pilot? ( that was breaking news to Delta too)

Last edited by Orange County Commuter; Mar 3, 2024 at 6:30 am
Old Mar 2, 2024, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by resolute
Shameful! This would never happen on an Asian airline I bet..
on a twa flight years ago the flight attendant set her stuffed animals out on a chair.
resolute likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 7:48 am

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
A D1 seat that reclines 25% is basically a Premium Select seat, so any compensation should reflect the fare difference between D1 and PS.

When I buy a D1 ticket, 99% of what I'm buying is the seat. The hot nuts and the warm towel and the "fancy" meal and all the wine with "hints of this" and "overtones of that" and the ice cream sundaes are just performative niceties.
ND76, resolute, FabCW and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've had a purser tell (not ask) a nonrev to switch seats with me when my AVOD wasn't working. This is absolutely what's supposed to happen in such cases.

I've heard of situations where crew on Chinese carriers take over the premium cabin for their rest/party.

IMO crew serving in coach shouldn't be allowed to come up to the front to use the premium cabin restrooms, nor should they store their luggage in the front of the aircraft.
lindros2 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
well, I’ve had it happen for me. So I know it does happen and because that FA told me that this was supposed to happen, if I ever have this problem again, I will specifically ask. If I know they’re non-revs on the flight (it’s pretty easy usually to tell) and I don’t get moved I would be asking for even more compensation

But I suggest asking explicitly if there are non-revs in the cabin, and if so, will they trade with you. If they say no, I’d be making sure the person who says no understands that your complaint will point this out to Delta. I had to complain about the behavior of non-rev passengers on a plane once and I think I got about 25,000 for the pilots wives acting like 14-year-old brats Did you know that spouses of pilots don’t have to stand in line for bathrooms because there are ( that was breaking news to Delta too)
In my case, there were even empty seats so it wouldn't have been necessary to move non-revs; DL pursers aren't authorized to make empty D1 seats as cabin crew rest seats.

I wrote a very extensive complaint to DL and explicitly stated that someone who abuses full-fare revenue passengers shouldn't be in a purser role setting a terrible example for the rest of the crew.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 6:26 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
well, Ive had it happen for me. So I know it does happen and because that FA told me that this was supposed to happen, if I ever have this problem again, I will specifically ask. If I know theyre non-revs on the flight (its pretty easy usually to tell) and I dont get moved I would be asking for even more compensation

But I suggest asking explicitly if there are non-revs in the cabin, and if so, will they trade with you. If they say no, Id be making sure the person who says no understands that your complaint will point this out to Delta. I had to complain about the behavior of non-rev passengers on a plane once and I think I got about 25,000 for the pilots wives acting like 14-year-old brats Did you know that spouses of pilots dont have to stand in line for bathrooms because there are ( that was breaking news to Delta too)
Is this documented anywhere in the CoC or other DL policy? If so, that would be a handy reference in such situations.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by chipbennett
Is this documented anywhere in the CoC or other DL policy? If so, that would be a handy reference in such situations.

I doubt its documented anywhere you or I could get to. But I had family members who worked for Delta and I know they knew this was the rule

now keep in mind non-rev is different from a crewmember that Delta is moving for Deltas purposes. So if theres a pilot in D1 because Delta needs to fly him to wherever hes going to to pick up a plane, he may not be required to move for you. If theres a pilot in D1 because he wants to go on vacation with his spouse they are required to move for you. And as I said when it happened to me, the flight attendant looked at them and said you need to move and they didnt even blink.
hhdl likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lc412000
I didnt pay 750k, I used 750k miles
Still have is a lot of miles, a savoy traveler wouldn't have spent that much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.