Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2024 Upgrade Success (or Lack Thereof)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2024, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
1/1 so far. FLL-CVG upgraded in advance. I was a whopping 6/9 last year. Oh, the days of my 175-segment year.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 8:26 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by chipbennett
Okay, so:

08 Jan 2024:
IND - LAX: 1 FC available at check-in; not upgraded
LAX - SFO: 0 FC available at check-in
13 Jan 2024:
LAX - DTW: 0 FC available at check-in
DTW - IND: 0 FC available at check-in

17 Jan 2024:
IND - LGA: FC upgrade @ 120H
LGA - DFW: FC upgrade @ 120H
21 Jan 2024:
DFW - ATL: [TBD] (14 FC available)
ATL - IND: [TBD] (3 FC available)
IRROPS on 13 Jan. SFO - DTW canceled. Rebooked on SFO - ATL - IND. No upgrades available. Didn't even show up on the upgrade list in the app for ATL - IND, so can't even say where I was on the list. (Does this happen to anyone else, especially for IRROPS, where the desk/gate agent can see your name in the upgrade list/upgrade requested, but you don't see your name in the upgrade queue?)
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:15 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
I was able to use my last two 2023 RUCs on an open jaw trip, CLE-DTW-SEA and then SMF-ATL-CLE. On the DTW-SEA there was a 25 person list for 0 UGs but the person next to me was a no show, and the crack staff at DTW didn't bother to fish a person on the list out of the back and into the empty seat.

I had booked a roomette on the Amtrak Coast Starlight to get from Seattle to Sacramento, but Amtrak sent me an e-mail which I received about an hour out of SEA that the train was canceled and was going to be cancelled for the next few days. I promply booked a seat on a SkyWest E175 for early Friday morning. I immediately got C+ but there was only 1 F empty. When I got to SEA on Friday morning for the flight, a second F empty was available, but I was #4 out of 12. The good news was that th person sitting next to me was UG'd and the SEA gate agents didn't fill that seat; it turned out to be the only empty seat on the flight.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
DM, 1MM, Reserve Card.

1/17 MSY-LGA V fare cleared to C+ at booking and OU (F) at T-5. There were 18 F of 20 available at T-5
1/20 LGA-MSY V fare cleared to C+ at booking and OU (F) at T-5. There were 20 F of 20 available at T-5
Old Jan 16, 2024, 3:02 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by ND76
I was able to use my last two 2023 RUCs on an open jaw trip, CLE-DTW-SEA and then SMF-ATL-CLE. On the DTW-SEA there was a 25 person list for 0 UGs but the person next to me was a no show, and the crack staff at DTW didn't bother to fish a person on the list out of the back and into the empty seat.

I had booked a roomette on the Amtrak Coast Starlight to get from Seattle to Sacramento, but Amtrak sent me an e-mail which I received about an hour out of SEA that the train was canceled and was going to be cancelled for the next few days. I promply booked a seat on a SkyWest E175 for early Friday morning. I immediately got C+ but there was only 1 F empty. When I got to SEA on Friday morning for the flight, a second F empty was available, but I was #4 out of 12. The good news was that th person sitting next to me was UG'd and the SEA gate agents didn't fill that seat; it turned out to be the only empty seat on the flight.
empty seat next to you > C+

#unintentional upgrade
Old Jan 16, 2024, 1:41 pm

IRROPS on 13 Jan. SFO - DTW canceled. Rebooked on SFO - ATL - IND. No upgrades available. Didn't even show up on the upgrade list in the app for ATL - IND, so can't even say where I was on the list. (Does this happen to anyone else, especially for IRROPS, where the desk/gate agent can see your name in the upgrade list/upgrade requested, but you don't see your name in the upgrade queue?)
08 Jan 2024:
13 Jan 2024:
SFO - DTW: 0 FC available at check-in (IRROPS: SFO - ATL: 0 FC - but somehow snagged 21A on a 739)
DTW - IND: 0 FC available at check-in (IRROPS: ATL - IND: 0 FC - ended up MC Row 11 on a 73J - my first flight on one of the ex-Lion 737s)

17 Jan 2024:
21 Jan 2024:
DFW - ATL: T-5 FC upgrade (9 of 14 FC upgraded at T-5)
ATL - IND: [TBD] (3 FC available, 0 T-5 upgrades processed)
Old Jan 16, 2024, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
I'm DM, 2MM, no PS section on flight, Reserve card holder, which puts me at least tied for top priority in first 4 tie-breakers with the exception of 360s

18 Jan 2024: ATL-PDX, 8 of 20 available before T-5, 4 available after T-5, 1 available T-2, no love for me.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 4:50 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by safigan
I'm DM, 2MM, no PS section on flight, Reserve card holder, which puts me at least tied for top priority in first 4 tie-breakers with the exception of 360s

18 Jan 2024: ATL-PDX, 8 of 20 available before T-5, 4 available after T-5, 1 available T-2, no love for me.
Setting aside the time travel, DM 2MM with Reserve who bought Main would be behind:

* Any RUC user (those now clear from a separate list... I'd expect longer flights in the back half of January to get a lot of expiring RUCs)
* Any DM who bought a Comfort+ ticket (including awards)
* Any DM with at least one more lifetime mile than you

​​​​​
​​​​
langbr01 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by hhdl
Setting aside the time travel, DM 2MM with Reserve who bought Main would be behind:

* Any RUC user (those now clear from a separate list... I'd expect longer flights in the back half of January to get a lot of expiring RUCs)
* Any DM who bought a Comfort+ ticket (including awards)
* Any DM with at least one more lifetime mile than you

​​​​​
​​​​
I agree with the first bullet, and I suspect the other two are not true, though neither of us can be absolutely certain.

There is more evidence that DL considers Comfort Plus as part of the main cabin than there is that it is its own cabin. Nevertheless, I purchased C+ for the return trip to see if it makes any difference.

The DL website states: "Members that have Million Miler Status will clear before Members that do not hold Million Miler Status." Read literally, this means that that this is a yes/no criteria, not a number of miles or even tiered (1MM, 2MM, etc.) criterion. But if you're right, then the rest of the tie-breakers don't matter for MMs, and I doubt that's what DL intends.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 10:35 am

Programs: DL PM, AA PPro, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Enterprise Silver
I agree with the first bullet, and I suspect the other two are not true, though neither of us can be absolutely certain.

There is more evidence that DL considers Comfort Plus as part of the main cabin than there is that it is its own cabin. Nevertheless, I purchased C+ for the return trip to see if it makes any difference.

The DL website states: "Members that have Million Miler Status will clear before Members that do not hold Million Miler Status." Read literally, this means that that this is a yes/no criteria, not a number of miles or even tiered (1MM, 2MM, etc.) criterion. But if you're right, then the rest of the tie-breakers don't matter for MMs, and I doubt that's what DL intends.
On their own website, DL does address this (although we know their info is not always right/ up to date lol so don't shoot the messenger here)
  • "Members at the same Medallion Tier will be cleared in order of cabin purchased for paid tickets, Award Tickets and Pay with Miles1 tickets, where premium cabins hold higher priority.
    • Example: 2 customers on the First Class upgrade list are both Gold Medallion Members. The first Member purchased a Delta Comfort+ ticket, while the other Member purchased a Main Cabin ticket. The customer who purchased Comfort+ would be higher on the upgrade list due to purchasing a more premium ticket." (bolding mine)
  • "All other things being equal, Members who have Million Miler Status will clear before Members that do not hold Million Miler Status. For Members who hold Million Miler Status, the Member with the higher number of lifetime flight miles will clear first." (Bolding mine)
DrMilano, PanAmSam, hhdl and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by pharmflyer
On their own website, DL does address this (although we know their info is not always right/ up to date lol so don't shoot the messenger here)
  • "Members at the same Medallion Tier will be cleared in order of cabin purchased for paid tickets, Award Tickets and Pay with Miles1 tickets, where premium cabins hold higher priority.
    • Example: 2 customers on the First Class upgrade list are both Gold Medallion Members. The first Member purchased a Delta Comfort+ ticket, while the other Member purchased a Main Cabin ticket. The customer who purchased Comfort+ would be higher on the upgrade list due to purchasing a more premium ticket." (bolding mine)
  • "All other things being equal, Members who have Million Miler Status will clear before Members that do not hold Million Miler Status. For Members who hold Million Miler Status, the Member with the higher number of lifetime flight miles will clear first." (Bolding mine)
Wow, I didn't see that, and my quote came off the same web page, so the quotes you list are just as authoritative. It will be interesting to see when/if my return flight clears, as I purchased C+ rather than getting upgraded for free.

Last edited by safigan; Jan 17, 2024 at 6:33 pm
Old Jan 17, 2024, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, AA ExPlat, UA S, HH S, MR LT Titanium, National Exec
Wow, I didn't see that, and my quote came off the same web page, so it's just as authoritative. It will be interesting to see when/if my return flight clears, as I purchased C+ rather than getting upgraded for free.
It is buried and you have to do a couple of clicks down the Skymiles web pages to get to it

Medallion Upgrades | Delta Air Lines
Old Jan 21, 2024, 9:44 am

08 Jan 2024:
13 Jan 2024:
SFO - DTW: 0 FC available at check-in (IRROPS: SFO - ATL: 0 FC - but somehow snagged 21A on a 739)
DTW - IND: 0 FC available at check-in (IRROPS: ATL - IND: 0 FC - ended up MC Row 11 on a 73J - my first flight on one of the ex-Lion 737s)

17 Jan 2024:
21 Jan 2024:
ATL - IND: [TBD] (3 FC available, 0 T-5 upgrades processed)
08 Jan 2024:
13 Jan 2024:

17 Jan 2024:
21 Jan 2024:
ATL - IND: No upgrade (0 FC available, 4 of 47 on the upgrade list. Welcome to ATL.)
ffI likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 5:10 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
21 Jan 2024: DFW - ATL: T-5 FC upgrade (9 of 14 FC upgraded at T-5)
ATL - IND: No upgrade (0 FC available, 4 of 47 on the upgrade list. Welcome to ATL.)
I did not realize ATL-IND was harder than DFW-ATL ! - Perhaps smaller plane ? CR9?
Old Jan 22, 2024, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by ffI
I did not realize ATL-IND was harder than DFW-ATL ! - Perhaps smaller plane ? CR9?
Worse: a 73J. The old Latam configuration, IIRC? 3 FC rows, 1 (?!?) C+ row (with a bulkhead).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.