Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2024 Upgrade Success (or Lack Thereof)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2024, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
2024 Upgrade Success (or Lack Thereof)

I didn't see an upgrade thread yet, so figured I'd get one going. Hope everyone is having a great new year, thus far. Mine is off to a fantastic start, as we are heading to LAS for a few days. 4/4 to start the year off, including:

1/1 - SEA-LAS, Boeing 738: Upgraded to FC at gate W/ companion
1/4 - LAS-SEA, Boeing 738: Upgraded to FC W/companion at 5-day PM window
2/3 - JAX-JFK, E175: Upgraded to FC W/ companion; used RUCs
2/3 - JFK-SEA, A321neo: Upgraded to FC W/ companion, used RUCs

Interesting note, which might already be common knowledge to some of you: a light meal is now served on SEA-LAS and vice-versa. We make this trip 1-2 times a year and this has never been the case before, as it's slightly under 900 miles. It's a very light selection (2 choices, salad and charcuterie or sandwich) but very welcome.

As I said, not a bad start to the new travel year. All flights from now through mid-April are in FC or D1, either paid, upgrades or instrument-supported. Let's keep up the good luck!
Old Jan 1, 2024, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
It would be helpful to also note current medallion status and million miler status.
DrMilano and Firstboss like this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by safigan
It would be helpful to also note current medallion status and million miler status.
I did mention getting upgraded at the 5-day PM window and using RUCs. But I am a PM with AMEX Reserve card. No 1MM status.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 3:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
1/10/24 CLE-DTW (CR9)/DTW-SEA (739) used a RUC at booking and was immediately cleared into F on both segments
1/14/24 SMF-ATL (739)/ATL-CLE (A321); used an RUC which delta.com indicated was open on both segments; SMF-ATL immediately cleared but ATL-CLE did not clear. I called late Saturday night 12/30 and the fine DL reservationist cleared me into F.

My status changes on February 1 to "Lifetime DM" and I've got a multi-city trip on February 8, 10 and 12 CLE-DTW-IAH-ATL-LIT-ATL-CLE which will be the first test of my new status. In addition to the status, I am a 3mmer with an AMEX Reserve card, and I have been UG'ed into C+ on all six segments.
Daitheflu84 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
DM here w/ Reserve card.

1/1/24 PHX-LAX (E75): Did not clear.
Daitheflu84 likes this.

Last edited by FluxTZ; Jan 2, 2024 at 6:09 pm
Old Jan 1, 2024, 3:39 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
Almost 2024 upgrade:
2023, December 30, ATL - DTW morning flight, 5 FC upgrades in total, I was number 3 as a DL Platinum with Reserve card
Daitheflu84 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 7:42 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
We'll see Monday. The 120hr window passed Wednesday with no complimentary DM upgrades. Delta still pushing the revenue upgrades on IND-LAX, and it appears to be working. At the 120hr mark, there were 5 seats available. As of this morning, only 4 seats available. The 70,900 mile upgrade cost isn't crazy, but I'm fine with C+ even at that price. No FC available LAX-SFO, and only C+ middle seats, but I'm fine in the exit row window.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a domestic flight (2 segments) scheduled for next Monday, Jan 8. I was shocked (shocked!) to discover when I checked my itinerary last night that I had been upgraded to FC on both segments.

ABQ-ATL-GPT
Platinum status with AMEX Reserve
ND76 and Daitheflu84 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by chipbennett
We'll see Monday. The 120hr window passed Wednesday with no complimentary DM upgrades. Delta still pushing the revenue upgrades on IND-LAX, and it appears to be working. At the 120hr mark, there were 5 seats available. As of this morning, only 4 seats available. The 70,900 mile upgrade cost isn't crazy, but I'm fine with C+ even at that price. No FC available LAX-SFO, and only C+ middle seats, but I'm fine in the exit row window.
Well, it looks like I have my answer. At 120H, there were 5 FC and 19 C+ seats available. By check-in this morning, DL had sold 3 of the available FC and 8 of the available C+. I'm currently 3 of 24 on FC upgrade list, with only the 2 available seats remaining. I knew that was going to be the case, since during check-in, the app once again prompted me to purchase FC.

DL's FC revenue strategy is clearly working for them. But it has rendered the 120H upgrade for DM almost entirely moot.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, it looks like I have my answer. At 120H, there were 5 FC and 19 C+ seats available. By check-in this morning, DL had sold 3 of the available FC and 8 of the available C+. I'm currently 3 of 24 on FC upgrade list, with only the 2 available seats remaining. I knew that was going to be the case, since during check-in, the app once again prompted me to purchase FC.

DL's FC revenue strategy is clearly working for them. But it has rendered the 120H upgrade for DM almost entirely moot.
Could also be some RUC upgrades as people with 2023 Choice Benefit ones will need to use them by Jan 31st before they expire. I still get FC upgrades on longer haul routes at times as a Plat, but it's probably in the 20% range these days.
pbjag and langbr01 like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 7, 2024 at 2:03 pm
Old Jan 12, 2024, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
Could also be some RUC upgrades as people with 2023 Choice Benefit ones will need to use them by Jan 31st before they expire. I still get FC upgrades on longer haul routes at times as a Plat, but it's probably in the 20% range these days.
Entirely possible! But don't those clear at 24H (if waitlisted/not cleared immediately) or at the gate? I watched the available FC inventory drop slowly from 5 to 1 over the 120 hours. I assume that's more indicative of revenue upgrades? (Or are people calling in the RUCs within that time period? I've never tried doing that.)
Old Jan 12, 2024, 10:41 am

Okay, so:

08 Jan 2024:
IND - LAX: 1 FC available at check-in; not upgraded
LAX - SFO: 0 FC available at check-in
13 Jan 2024:
LAX - DTW: 0 FC available at check-in
DTW - IND: 0 FC available at check-in

17 Jan 2024:
IND - LGA: FC upgrade @ 120H
LGA - DFW: FC upgrade @ 120H
21 Jan 2024:
DFW - ATL: [TBD] (14 FC available)
ATL - IND: [TBD] (3 FC available)
Old Jan 12, 2024, 2:16 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
PM, AmEx Reserve, 1MM (I don’t recall whether MM status makes a difference on upgrades)

1/10/24 BOS-MSP
Not upgraded.
About 8/28 on upgrade list the last time I checked before boarding. As I recall, no upgrades to F were available by the day of departure morning for a 3pm flight.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
PM, AmEx Reserve, 1MM (I don’t recall whether MM status makes a difference on upgrades)

1/10/24 BOS-MSP
Not upgraded.
About 8/28 on upgrade list the last time I checked before boarding. As I recall, no upgrades to F were available by the day of departure morning for a 3pm flight.
MM is above Amex Reserve now but status level is still the first tie-breaker.
CarmenOM likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 4:35 pm

Our GUC from M>PS JFK-EZE was also cleared to D1 at about the check in window/24. About 30 mins on phone followed for reticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.