Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MM status and earnings via award tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MM status and earnings via award tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2024, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by xliioper
Pending miles showing in Account Activity is pending RDMs (which award flights shouldn't earn), not MMs. Sounds like there is still some buginess if it is showing pending miles for award flights.
I have 3 CHS-JFK flights within the next month, this is the miles earned:

1) CHS-JFK 847 miles $77 MQD's (award ticket)
2) JFK-CHS 825 miles $75 MQD's (award ticket)
3) CHS-JFK 627 miles $57 MQDS (revenue ticket)

Common dominator is 11 which is the DM RDM multiplier. Actual flight distance is 638 via Flighty App.

Originally Posted by itamex
i have award flight wit aeromexico and another with Airfrance, in pending i see both 0 Miles ,only MQD
Interesting as I'm seeing both miles and MQD's for 2 KLM award flights booked via DL.

Originally Posted by metalblaze
Agree -- also, regardless of AF/KLM/ or other SkyTeam metal, what will probably matter is whether the ticket was DL marketed or not. I have few trips lined up this year with AF (yes, AF metal and AF marketed and paid J) - still not sure if I will earn BIS miles for MM status.
I don't see why BIS will not be credited towards MM status, as you'll receive 30% MQD's based on millage with AF marketed and paid. Full J fare I believe is 40% MQD's.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 1:01 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by GaryDD
This part has my attention

So does this mean if on Feb 2024 I am awarded annual Plat and before the end of the year I qualify for Diamond it is not until Feb 2025 I receive any benefits? It is the "or higher" that suggests this.
"Members who receive complimentary Medallion Status in connection with Million Miler benefits, and who also simultaneously earn the same level of complimentary Status or higher through the published Status requirements, will not be upgraded to a higher Medallion Tier."

I think this simply means that MM lifetime status and annual MQD earnings are not additive. So, for example, if you're 1MM / Lifetime Gold, and then earn $18,000 MQDs in a given year, you can't combine those to equal $28,000 MQDs ($10,000 for lifetime Gold + $18,000 earned) to get Diamond. You would just be Platinum, for reaching the $15,000 MQD threshold.

I could be wrong, though.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, AA ExPlat, UA S, HH S, MR LT Titanium, National Exec
Originally Posted by chipbennett
"Members who receive complimentary Medallion Status in connection with Million Miler benefits, and who also simultaneously earn the same level of complimentary Status or higher through the published Status requirements, will not be upgraded to a higher Medallion Tier."

I think this simply means that MM lifetime status and annual MQD earnings are not additive. So, for example, if you're 1MM / Lifetime Gold, and then earn $18,000 MQDs in a given year, you can't combine those to equal $28,000 MQDs ($10,000 for lifetime Gold + $18,000 earned) to get Diamond. You would just be Platinum, for reaching the $15,000 MQD threshold.

I could be wrong, though.
And that is probably correct, just is poorly worded. Must be the ones who can't live up to the low standard for IT in DL are moved over to Communications.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by GaryDD
This part has my attention

So does this mean if on Feb 2024 I am awarded annual Plat and before the end of the year I qualify for Diamond it is not until Feb 2025 I receive any benefits? It is the "or higher" that suggests this.
You’ll become DM the day after you qualify until Jan 31/26.
metalblaze likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 8:14 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Pres Circle
Just started my journey on a DL issued Award Ticket, I noted my MM balance at this time and will report back in a week. I am expecting my flight miles to count towards MM status. My international award ticket has 2 DL operated Segments and (4) on LATAM that does not even reflect a DL codeshare flight but does reflect my Diamond status and receive priority seats/boarding.

I reviewed the language on DL website and it does not refer to RDM's which I was not expecting to receive but refers to flight miles. Clearly, we all get flight miles on award tickets. It does refer to ineligible for Basic Economy---but Award tickets are not Basic Economy...at least not what I booked as I was on the upgrade list (1st loser of course)

Stay tuned, I will update in a week or so...

Will the Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) I’ve earned in 2023 count toward my Million Miler Status?
Additional DetailsMillion Miler Status is based on total flight miles flown over a Member’s lifetime (Lifetime Flight Miles). Beginning January 1, 2024, Million Miler Status will be earned via flight miles flown (excluding Basic Economy fares) and added to your total Million Miler balance. Any MQMs already earned toward Million Miler Status will remain.

Million Miler Medallion Status is for the earning Medallion Member and cannot be gifted or transferred to another Member. Complimentary Status is unrelated to MQDs earned in a given Medallion Year, and Members do not receive MQDs because of their complimentary Status. Members who receive complimentary Medallion Status in connection with Million Miler benefits, and who also simultaneously earn the same level of complimentary Status or higher through the published Status requirements, will not be upgraded to a higher Medallion Tier.

*Basic Economy tickets are not eligible to earn miles in the SkyMiles Program, earn credit toward Medallion Status, or earn credit toward Million Miler Status.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wineandtravel
Just started my journey on a DL issued Award Ticket, I noted my MM balance at this time and will report back in a week. I am expecting my flight miles to count towards MM status. My international award ticket has 2 DL operated Segments and (4) on LATAM that does not even reflect a DL codeshare flight but does reflect my Diamond status and receive priority seats/boarding.

I reviewed the language on DL website and it does not refer to RDM's which I was not expecting to receive but refers to flight miles. Clearly, we all get flight miles on award tickets. It does refer to ineligible for Basic Economy---but Award tickets are not Basic Economy...at least not what I booked as I was on the upgrade list (1st loser of course)

Stay tuned, I will update in a week or so...

Will the Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) I’ve earned in 2023 count toward my Million Miler Status?
Additional DetailsMillion Miler Status is based on total flight miles flown over a Member’s lifetime (Lifetime Flight Miles). Beginning January 1, 2024, Million Miler Status will be earned via flight miles flown (excluding Basic Economy fares) and added to your total Million Miler balance. Any MQMs already earned toward Million Miler Status will remain.

Million Miler Medallion Status is for the earning Medallion Member and cannot be gifted or transferred to another Member. Complimentary Status is unrelated to MQDs earned in a given Medallion Year, and Members do not receive MQDs because of their complimentary Status. Members who receive complimentary Medallion Status in connection with Million Miler benefits, and who also simultaneously earn the same level of complimentary Status or higher through the published Status requirements, will not be upgraded to a higher Medallion Tier.

*Basic Economy tickets are not eligible to earn miles in the SkyMiles Program, earn credit toward Medallion Status, or earn credit toward Million Miler Status.
There have already been confirmations that Award tickets continue to count towards MM balance (and MQDs) as long as they are not BE Awards. DL does not currently offer BE awards on partner metal (anything involving partners will book into Economy or higher class of service). BE Award levels are currently only offered on itins that are 100% DL metal.
lsquare and itamex like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 1, 2024 at 8:27 am
Old Feb 5, 2024, 7:05 am

So, my million miler status did not increase any but I earned MQD's for the flights...that implies to me that flights processed.

Does not seem right and consistent with what is on the website. I will submit a complaint to Delta but doubtful they will do anything. I did not book BE either

Last edited by wineandtravel; Feb 5, 2024 at 7:07 am Reason: Add text
Old Feb 8, 2024, 9:29 am

Angry DL Agent Called; Despite stating Flight Miles--No credit towards MM Status

Delta customer service called me and said that award tickets DO NOT count towards Million Miler status despite it clearly stating that flight miles are used and despite it NOT stating that Basic economy AND award tickets will not count.

The agent acknowledged how they understand the website communication can be interpreted but had no satisfactory answer other than they are sorry I was disappointed and will forward my concern to leadership team.

The website clearly states flight miles and I was not expecting (nor were others) to receive redeemable miles (RDM). Before eliminating MQM's, we received credit towards million miler status. I strongly feel misled by Delta. At minimum, if Delta decides to change their policy and position on what counts towards million miler status they should grandfather anyone who purchased an award ticket when the policy clearly stated flight miles and did not exclude award tickets. Delta also needs to clearly communicate this on their website.

I am very shocked that Delta wants to alienate and upset those of us who have been loyal to Delta--those of us who care about million miler status have clearly demonstrated our loyalty and commitment over many years to Delta and now are being misled and lied to. If this was their true intention, why did they use the term flight miles and why did they not clearly stipulate that flight miles earned on an award ticket will not count. I sincerely hope that the Delta leadership will acknowledge this was a technical glitch and as advertised flight miles will count towards million miler status and make it right for those that did fly and will fly on an award ticket.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 9:35 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by wineandtravel
Delta customer service called me and said that award tickets DO NOT count towards Million Miler status despite it clearly stating that flight miles are used and despite it NOT stating that Basic economy AND award tickets will not count.

The agent acknowledged how they understand the website communication can be interpreted but had no satisfactory answer other than they are sorry I was disappointed and will forward my concern to leadership team.

The website clearly states flight miles and I was not expecting (nor were others) to receive redeemable miles (RDM). Before eliminating MQM's, we received credit towards million miler status. I strongly feel misled by Delta. At minimum, if Delta decides to change their policy and position on what counts towards million miler status they should grandfather anyone who purchased an award ticket when the policy clearly stated flight miles and did not exclude award tickets. Delta also needs to clearly communicate this on their website.

I am very shocked that Delta wants to alienate and upset those of us who have been loyal to Delta--those of us who care about million miler status have clearly demonstrated our loyalty and commitment over many years to Delta and now are being misled and lied to. If this was their true intention, why did they use the term flight miles and why did they not clearly stipulate that flight miles earned on an award ticket will not count. I sincerely hope that the Delta leadership will acknowledge this was a technical glitch and as advertised flight miles will count towards million miler status and make it right for those that did fly and will fly on an award ticket.
Just to be clear: the flights flown here were on a partner airline, not on DL, correct?

Because as others in this thread have already confirmed: DL-metal award flights do count toward lifetime/MM miles.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 4:16 pm

Programs: Diamond DL
tomorrow i will fly an award domestic aeromexico . i have been upgraded to premier five days before departure. Usually aeromexico flights appear in my skymiles after four days. I took screenshot of my milion miles (which i never looked at, because i'm veery far from reaching 1mln)
and i will update if it will count or not
Old Feb 11, 2024, 3:41 pm

Programs: Diamond DL
AWARD flight AEROMEXICO economy from CJS to CTM , stop 12h in MEX , paid 10.000 miles, both upgraded to Premiere 5 days before departure
First leg CJS to MEX was on thursday night
Today, sunday afternoon, MQD and Million Miler updated correctly

+58 MQD (42MQD will be for the second leg which was the morning after, so i expect to see it tomorrow)
+957 miles added in MIllion Miles Status
I expect the second leg which should be 707miles probably tomorrow
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, AS MVPG 100K
My DL metal award flight miles were added to my MM balance - LAX-AKL rt. Am awaiting more DPs for the partner awards, and whether they add or not, before making other bookings.
DCAhome likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:44 am

Programs: DL DM
I have had several award trips (100% Skymiles) in 2024 and all were appropriately credited to my Million Miler balance with the normal number of miles for each leg within a day or two of each flight.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gm1955
I have had several award trips (100% Skymiles) in 2024 and all were appropriately credited to my Million Miler balance with the normal number of miles for each leg within a day or two of each flight.
Same - usually within a few hours of the end of the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.