Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MM status and earnings via award tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2023, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium

I am making few award ticket travel plans for Summer 2024. I will earn MQDs at 100:1 ratio, but no RDMs. Has DL released any information about how such award tickets will get counted towards MM status when only MQDs and no RDMs are earned?

Mods - I am creating this as a separate thread due to lack of DL's clarity on this issue. Of course, please feel free to merge with any other relevant thread.

Last edited by metalblaze; Nov 2, 2023 at 1:44 pm
Old Nov 2, 2023, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
deleted

Last edited by safigan; Nov 2, 2023 at 1:44 pm
Old Nov 2, 2023, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metalblaze
I am making few award ticket travel plans for Summer 2024. I will earn MQDs at 100:1 ratio, but no RDMs. Has DL released any information about how such award tickets will get counted towards MM status when only MQDs and no RDMs are earned?

Mods - I am creating this as a separate thread due to lack of DL's clarity on this issue. Of course, please feel free to merge with any other relevant thread.
Note that award tickets do not currently earn any RDMs. They currently only earn MQDs and MQMs and clearly MQM earning will be going away. I believe there was some confirmation on continuing to earn MQDs (as long as not BE), but not sure about MM miles.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
Note that award tickets do not currently earn any RDMs. They currently only earn MQDs and MQMs and clearly MQM earning will be going away. I believe there was some confirmation on continuing to earn MQDs (as long as not BE), but not sure about MM miles.
Agreed, and hence the question: under the previous rules, MQMs were earned for both paid and award tickets, and hence both counted towards MM status.

Under the new rules, only paid tickets earn RDMs (+ MQDs) which will count towards MM status. Since award tickets only earn MQDs, how will they count towards MM status?
Old Nov 2, 2023, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.7MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
While not explicitly stated anywhere - yet, I think it's safe to presume MQMs will continue to be calculated for distance in order to credit to MM status. Being MM will now only accrue
based on BIS (butt-in-seat) miles flown (no class of service bonuses or CC spending boots, etc...), maybe they will call it something else in order to "retire" the MQM name and simply call it "Miles Flown" or "Distance."
Old Nov 2, 2023, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeltaFFATL
Being MM will now only accrue based on BIS (butt-in-seat) miles flown (no class of service bonuses or CC spending boots, etc...)...."
Wait -- if I buy JFK-LAX-JFK in D1, and accrue ~25,000 RDMs, are you saying that only ~4,950 BIS miles will count towards MM status?

Just tried an itinerary that I am exploring for next year....

DiverDave likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 3:50 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Wait -- if I buy JFK-LAX-JFK in D1, and accrue ~25,000 RDMs, are you saying that only ~4,950 BIS miles will count towards MM status?

Yep that's 25,256 SkyMiles, 2296 MQDs, and a bit under 4950 BIS miles towards MM.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.7MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold

​​​​​​​
That is correct. Starting 01/01/24 MM status will only be accrued based on BIS miles (aka distance flown). It's going to be much more difficult to achieve MM status, as it should be, especially with the increase in status level they are providing yearly as complimentary.

That said, I'm a little surprised they dropped the class of service boost, but I do get it with the simplification of the program.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 8:25 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
While not explicitly stated anywhere - yet, I think it's safe to presume MQMs will continue to be calculated for distance in order to credit to MM status. Being MM will now only accrue
based on BIS (butt-in-seat) miles flown (no class of service bonuses or CC spending boots, etc...), maybe they will call it something else in order to "retire" the MQM name and simply call it "Miles Flown" or "Distance."
I hope so, would be nice to get clarification from DL.

That is correct. Starting 01/01/24 MM status will only be accrued based on BIS miles (aka distance flown).

That said, I'm a little surprised they dropped the class of service boost, but I do get it with the simplification of the program.
I think they are matching UA in that regard. But overall there is some give and take in the recent MM changes. The give part surprised me, nearly all program changes favor DL over members. Maybe the take part will impact us more than we realize....
ExArkie likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

OP here….I have been trying to get any information from the DM desk agents, and they have no clue!

If award tickets do not count towards MM status, this is another major devaluation IMO.

Has anyone seen official DL info on this?
Old Nov 9, 2023, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the one hand, they keep saying it's about miles flown. These are flown miles.

On the other hand, Delta was the only carrier I've known of to ever count award tickets toward either elite or lifetime status, so I could see them cutting this perk back.
busdriver11 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 6:28 am

Programs: DL DM
Award tickets only started to count towards any status back in 2021. It is a loss, but it was surprise when they made that change anyway. My guess is they will not count, but that is one of the many items that Delta has not addressed.
indufan likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm guessing they will continue to earn MQD/MM miles, but we probably won't find out until Jan 1st. No point in hammering agents on this as it is pretty clear in vast majority of cases that they have no more info than what can be found on website.

https://news.delta.com/delta-rewards...m-enhancements

Old Nov 10, 2023, 6:52 am

Programs: DL 2MM, AA ExPlat, UA S, HH S, MR LT Titanium, National Exec
It is in the terms for MQD it will be miles used / 100
Old Nov 17, 2023, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP here….I have been trying to get any information from the DM desk agents, and they have no clue!

If award tickets do not count towards MM status, this is another major devaluation IMO.

Has anyone seen official DL info on this?
Until quite recently, award tickets never earned anything.

My understanding is that after the end of 2023, only BIS miles will count for MM status, whether they're flown on paid or award tickets. There won't be anymore class of service bonuses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.