Wiki Posts
Search

One Last Mileage Run for DM

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2023, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
One Last Mileage Run for DM

As someone who's been PM for many years now, DM was always a far-off dream. Thanks to high fares, and mostly premium cabin travel, I'm closer now than ever before, and will likely ever be again with the steep increase just announced for 2025.

Currently sitting at 14,400 MQDs. One planned trip next week that will gain around 800 MQDs, putting me at 15,200 MQDs. Another planned trip (not booked yet) in either November or December that will likely gain between 2000 - 3000 MQDs. That will put me up to somewhere between 17000-18000 MQDs, leaving me 2-3K short depending on how the exact numbers play out.

I'm toying with the idea of a mileage, well MQD, run over to HND for a weekend late October. Probably just 2-3 nights and right back. I'm seeing PS fares ANC-SEA-HND and return around 300,000 miles. Probably not the best value, but not really wanting to pay cash for such a trip, would rather just burn some miles. Have a very nice trip already booked to BKK in February, which sadly won't help achieve DM, so not wanting to spend a ton of money.

Any thoughts on a quick trip over to HND? Never been to Japan, other than connecting in NRT back in the hub days.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 10:25 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Sure, go for it! It will satisfy the Diamond itch.

On the flip side, having been a multi year Diamond in the past, GUCs aren’t worth as much as pre-gutting days. I would be more excited to use that money for an actual Japan trip such as lots of decent Michelin Star restaurant dinners and a decent hotel. That experience will be worth more than what Diamond status will get you.

I wouldn’t do a short turn around for Japan; go enjoy the country. Status is never worth more than the actual travel experience of exploring a new country.

Last edited by HaleiwaFlyer; Sep 18, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Old Sep 18, 2023, 10:26 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Regardless of miles or money, are you really going to get $3K in benefits? Given the current mayhem, I doubt.

I have done exactly two MR in 20 years. In both cases Delta "paid" me to make the runs because the flights cost less than Delta pesos I received in return. In fact, the first actually saved me money because I needed to make changes to a SkyMiles ticket and it would have cost $$ to change (It was free for platinums).

At the end of day - do the math. Being diamond for the sake of being diamond plays into the Delta's marketing (err loyalty) program.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 10:49 pm

Honestly, I don't think it's worth it at all. 300K miles and a couple of nights (likely at an expensive hotel) in Japan? You're going to be too tired over that short time to enjoy it. That doesn't seem worthwhile. Maybe if you were going to stay there for a week and actually have a vacation. I've been DM since that status existed, and can't say it's worth 300K miles anymore, unless you are going to fly a LOT in 2024, and the Global Upgrade certificates would be really helpful for you. Otherwise, what does it get you? Not better treatment, nor rarely more upgrades. All the first class seats are sold out. The choice benefits are nice (but not worth losing 300K miles for unless you truly want the GUC's). Of course, if you have millions of miles and 300K miles mean nothing to you, then maybe it's worth it. But not for just a couple of nights.
GagaPilot likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the replies so far. Appreciate the input. To answer the question of, would I get 3K worth of benefits out of DM? I'm not sure. Though I do fly lots of routes where I think having the DM edge over PM could start to see a meaningful increase in upgrades. And I plan to reallocate some spend next year and not buy as many premium cabin tickets. Already have one paid D1 trip to BKK booked next year, and there's only one other trip I might spring for paid F on. The other half a dozen likely trips I'd rather just try for upgrades as a DM.

Doubtful I'd select GUCs as a benefit. I don't have a lot of flexibility when it comes to travel dates and hunting for availability. And with RUCs being such a pain it's not really another headache I want.

My thought is for DM choice benny I'd choose the SkyClub Exec membership. That's a $1495 value. So basically I'm getting half the $3K. If I could score enough UG's to recoup the other $1500 then I'm breaking even. And flying between AK and FL constantly the F price differential is substantial.

Otherwise DM is just a pure "bucket list" item for me. Growing up a total Delta fanboy it has, at least to me, some value
Old Sep 19, 2023, 2:24 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
There's such a thing called man-made climate change, in case you haven't noticed. Contributing to that merely to obtain a higher status with an airline is an obscene proposal in this day and age.

I don't have a problem at all with traveling for work or pleasure, but traveling for the sole purpose of gaining a higher level of status with an airline is utterly irresponsible.
RetiredATLATC, amieuro and AJNEDC like this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 2:24 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
They really DO know us.

Getting us to spend thousands extra for thousands of dollars worth of benefits is their specialty.

They're pretty good at getting people to take just one more bite of that apple. Even now.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 3:37 am

Programs: DL SM, Amex Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
They really DO know us.

Getting us to spend thousands extra for thousands of dollars worth of benefits is their specialty.

They're pretty good at getting people to take just one more bite of that apple. Even now.
yeah and some travel experts and bloggers think that Delta's shrewd move will backfire. Delta knows exactly what they are doing.
AJNEDC likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
There's such a thing called man-made climate change, in case you haven't noticed. Contributing to that merely to obtain a higher status with an airline is an obscene proposal in this day and age.

I don't have a problem at all with traveling for work or pleasure, but traveling for the sole purpose of gaining a higher level of status with an airline is utterly irresponsible.
Ummm, if you haven’t noticed, this is an airline talk board where mileage runs are/have been fairly common place over the last decade. If you don’t have anything useful to comment, as to the value proposition, please refrain from doing so.

And also, whether or not I’m on a particular airplane has nothing to do with climate change. Pretty sure that flight will still go whether or not I’m on it.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 3:55 am
Original Poster

For those that are interested, rather than splurging for just a quick trip to HND, I came across a few domestic routes that my husband and I had been wanting to visit some day. I was able to book myself in F using miles on each to maximize MQD earnings, and he was able to book main and use his last RUCs to instantly clear to F as well. Those, combined with other planned travel, should inch me closer to DM leaving only possibly a super short MQD run late in the year. So all in all spending the same amount, but getting to make wider use of the miles.

Thanks to those that contributed helpful comments.
rdlmitedu, busdriver11 and chollie like this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 4:50 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by amieuro
yeah and some travel experts and bloggers think that Delta's shrewd move will backfire. Delta knows exactly what they are doing.

It wouldn't surprise me if they modify it a bit at some point, or offer some MQD incentives when it serves them. But they are in the drivers seat, and those rolled-over MQMs have been devalued.

The fact is that post-Covid, folks have felt pretty flush, and are willing to pay a premium to fly. People feel pretty good when their house is worth double what it was a couple of years ago, and their savings accounts are flush. Whether that continues is unknown. Does the economy come back to earth at some point, or does the party continue?
DrMilano likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 5:41 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
For those that are interested, rather than splurging for just a quick trip to HND, I came across a few domestic routes that my husband and I had been wanting to visit some day. I was able to book myself in F using miles on each to maximize MQD earnings, and he was able to book main and use his last RUCs to instantly clear to F as well. Those, combined with other planned travel, should inch me closer to DM leaving only possibly a super short MQD run late in the year. So all in all spending the same amount, but getting to make wider use of the miles.

Thanks to those that contributed helpful comments.
Seems more reasonable to me; as a DM the last few years I probably would not feel it is valuable to spend 300k miles outright to get status unless I could really convince myself I wanted to go to the destination. Enjoy!
GagaPilot likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 6:06 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Ummm, if you haven’t noticed, this is an airline talk board where mileage runs are/have been fairly common place over the last decade. If you don’t have anything useful to comment, as to the value proposition, please refrain from doing so.

And also, whether or not I’m on a particular airplane has nothing to do with climate change. Pretty sure that flight will still go whether or not I’m on it.
And for centuries we kept slaves too, which doesn't make it any less morally reprehensible. Not that slavery and mileage runs are in any way or shape on the same level.

In this day and age, doing mileage runs is totally out of whack with keeping this planet habitable. And your presence, or not, onboard any give aircraft does have a direct impact on the fuel burn of said aircraft. Every kilo of payload counts, and the more you have the more fuel an aircraft is going to burn.

Besides, under what authority do you imagine having the right to tell me what to comment on or not?
AJNEDC likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 6:07 am

As someone who's been PM for many years now, DM was always a far-off dream. Thanks to high fares, and mostly premium cabin travel, I'm closer now than ever before, and will likely ever be again with the steep increase just announced for 2025.

Currently sitting at 14,400 MQDs. One planned trip next week that will gain around 800 MQDs, putting me at 15,200 MQDs. Another planned trip (not booked yet) in either November or December that will likely gain between 2000 - 3000 MQDs. That will put me up to somewhere between 17000-18000 MQDs, leaving me 2-3K short depending on how the exact numbers play out.

I'm toying with the idea of a mileage, well MQD, run over to HND for a weekend late October. Probably just 2-3 nights and right back. I'm seeing PS fares ANC-SEA-HND and return around 300,000 miles. Probably not the best value, but not really wanting to pay cash for such a trip, would rather just burn some miles. Have a very nice trip already booked to BKK in February, which sadly won't help achieve DM, so not wanting to spend a ton of money.

Any thoughts on a quick trip over to HND? Never been to Japan, other than connecting in NRT back in the hub days.
save your money! Don’t do it! (Don’t be a sucker!)
AJNEDC and spongenotbob like this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 6:20 am

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
I always enjoyed being DM in the past, seemed they always answered the Diamond Line quickly when I called, the GUC were awesome flying BKK-PHX because you could book Y and get Delta One Suites on certain routes, I got picked up by the Porsche in SEA a few times just to get ferried to the Skyclub, the extra Choice Benefits were cool as I was able to gift GM to my sister (who was flying frequently with my little cutie goddaughter) and that was awesome during Covid days with upgrades MSP-PHX on international metal and “real” biz class (not suites though), plus the Choice benefits got me a free Sky Club membership (which was cool but this used to be free for members living in Asia - well it was way back mid 00’s) — so yeah a lot of the benefits of DM aren’t as good these days as GUC will only get you from Y to Premium Economy which isn’t bad but isn’t D1. Still I would say the 4 GUC as a choice benefit alone is still worth the extra spend. That’s my opinion. Me, I’m doing everything I can to get to PM as I need that Skyteam Elite Plus for lounge access in ICN where I often have 10+ hour layovers on way to USA from BKK or Phuket. Good luck!!
GagaPilot likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.