Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

[Reddit Rumor/Speculation] 2024 American Express changes to Delta lounge access?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Reddit Rumor/Speculation] 2024 American Express changes to Delta lounge access?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2023, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Having just surfed the SC's at ATL twice in the last couple of months, something has to be done.

Once a lounge becomes full/crowded, the experience is so terrible, it's not worth it. I feel like I am in a Golden Corral on steak night.

Airline lounges should be a premium experience, not a madhouse. For non-DL Amex cardholders, they should add a fee or something.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 10:10 am

Most of my travel is international and in D1 so if they barred everyone else from using the Skyclub I would be thrilled. 😎😝
DrMilano likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 10:18 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019
Airline lounges should be a premium experience, not a madhouse. For non-DL Amex cardholders, they should add a fee or something.
Originally Posted by FabCW
Most of my travel is international and in D1 so if they barred everyone else from using the Skyclub I would be thrilled. 😎😝
I'm getting total deja vu from the FT thread last year about Centurion Lounge crowding. Everyone has their own ideas about restrictions that would help alleviate overcrowding... and they are usually the ideas that will benefit themselves the most.
SCChris, rylan, m.y and 9 others like this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 10:24 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by RobertS975
A previous poster said the overcriwding is not much of a problem any longer except for late afternoon JFK. Who is correct?
i would also assume fll on saturdays is a problem. wouldn't know firsthand, since i avoid fll on saturdays like the plague.

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by dw
I'm getting total deja vu from the FT thread last year about Centurion Lounge crowding. Everyone has their own ideas about restrictions that would help alleviate overcrowding... and they are usually the ideas that will benefit themselves the most.
Yeah, I feel like anyone suggesting methods to curb crowding should include a solution that results in either higher fees or restricted access for themselves. I hold both the Amex Platinum and Delta Reserve. Perhaps limits on Amex Platinum access, and a higher Delta Reserve fee, are in order (though the Delta Reserve should also add some more attractive spending multipliers as well).

Widespread access to SkyClubs is a reason many fly Delta and spend on Amex cards - so they are going to be careful here
dw, DrMilano and IndyHoosier like this.

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Seems like an odd business model. Why not just:
1.) Eliminate AMEX Platinum entry
2.) Limit passes on the Delta Platinum
3.) Keep the Reserve as-is, raise the AF

AMEX paying $30-$40 per lounge visit does not seem to be strategically important to the Delta business model. If your model is constantly sold, packed, etc. it looks like you are in a position to raise prices, especially on your most premium product.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 10:26 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Super Mario

AMEX paying $30-$40 per lounge visit does not seem to be strategically important to the Delta business model.
Amex "renumeration" is in fact the fastest growing revenue line item for Delta in every earnings release, and is absolutely the bedrock of the Delta business model. How much of this is directly tied to SkyClub swipes/access is unknown, but you have to admit a big proportion of Delta Amex cardholders hold the card because of SkyClub access, and because they hold the card, the also spend.
dw, lsquare and DrMilano like this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 10:27 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by dw
Agreed. And limiting access on the vanilla Amex Plat while maintaining unlimited access on the DL Reserve Card would be totally out of Amex's playbook-- some people (note that I'm saying *some*) who only hold the Plat might then add the Reserve as well, increasing Amex's annual fee revenue.

Thinking of this year's changes to Centurion Lounge guest access, I believe overcrowding was only one consideration for Amex-- the other being increased guest fee revenue and increased annual fee revenue from people adding AUs (or increased interchange from people who are compelled to spend $75k to unlock guest access).
As a vanilla Plat holder, I'm thinking this would result in me booking fewer DL flights than I do today. All else being equal domestically (a few times a year), I prefer DL where this a SkyClub and have no issues paying for a guest. If they're going to lock me out after a few trips, continue to charge for a guest (I'm assuming guests can't use any of the allotted visits) the tiebreaker no longer goes to Delta.
demkr, ekozie and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 10:30 am

If Delta wants to take "Amex renumeration" to $10 billion annually from $6.5 billion and continue to increase "premium" card mix, cutting Delta Reserve access seems like an odd way to do that:

https://s2.q4cdn.com/181345880/files...vF-6-26-23.pdf
dw, IndyHoosier and hhdl like this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 10:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Amex "renumeration" is in fact the fastest growing revenue line item for Delta in every earnings release, and is absolutely the bedrock of the Delta business model. How much of this is directly tied to SkyClub swipes/access is unknown, but you have to admit a big proportion of Delta Amex cardholders hold the card because of SkyClub access, and because they hold the card, the also spend.
I'm pretty sure the strong majority of those claims are co-branded, not vanilla. Hell, on the purchase of a flight ticket alone, Delta would probably save more in transaction fees on a Reserve cardholder than they would make on a lounge visit.

There's a reason every large company and their mother has their own co-branded card. The perks are limitless and far better than external cards would give.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019
<snip>Airline lounges should be a premium experience, not a madhouse.
LOL, I'm afraid that ship sailed several years ago, (definitely pre-pandemic) at least in the US. And it's not likely going back to the old way. Airlines and credit card companies have learned that people desperately want to be in these lounges. They will literally wait in line for much of their layover in order to get in, even if just for 30 minutes in order to shove some free pretzels down their gullet and try to pound as much "free" booze as possible all while live posting it to their "gram"

Regards
DrMilano and Synapseturquoise like this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Super Mario
I'm pretty sure the strong majority of those claims are co-branded, not vanilla. Hell, on the purchase of a flight ticket alone, Delta would probably save more in transaction fees on a Reserve cardholder than they would make on a lounge visit.

There's a reason every large company and their mother has their own co-branded card. The perks are limitless and far better than external cards would give.
I don't disagree with this point entirely - but this would point to Amex doing something like limiting the number of free Amex Platinum swipes instead of eliminating SkyClub access, and keeping Delta Reserve access unlimited. Also remember that Delta probably gets a good amount of revenue from Membership Rewards to Skymiles transfers, so they want to keep the vanilla Platinum Delta fliers engaged.
dtwlarry likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 10:55 am

I will pay a higher AF, either on the Reserve or a new higher tier card. I will not be nickel-and-dimed for SC access while paying for the highest tier card. The other benefits offered by the Reserve aren't all that important to me, and it would be a very easy decision to drop it. I'm sure I'm nowhere near being alone in that thinking.

They'd get reduced Sky Club numbers for sure, but at the cost of decimating their most premium credit card.
DrMilano likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I think once the D1 lounges open, some of the complaints will die down from J fliers having to mingle with Gen Pop
Old Aug 7, 2023, 10:57 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Also remember that Delta probably gets a good amount of revenue from Membership Rewards to Skymiles transfers, so they want to keep the vanilla Platinum Delta fliers engaged.
I'm one of those people- I've transferred nearly 200,000 Membership Rewards points (mostly earned on my vanilla Amex Plat) to DL over the past few months, and I think the common belief is that Amex pays DL around 1 cent, or a bit under, per point transferred?
dtwlarry likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.