Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

[Reddit Rumor/Speculation] 2024 American Express changes to Delta lounge access?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Reddit Rumor/Speculation] 2024 American Express changes to Delta lounge access?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2023, 2:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Delta Reserve, Singapore Silver, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by xliioper
How is DL not committed to JFK D1 lounge given that they have stated it is coming and it is under construction? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35473730-post776.html
I missed the formal announcement earlier this year. According to TPG its going into the old Wingtips lounge space.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...al-4-upgrades/
Old Aug 7, 2023, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Look, folks, they already got away with the real devaluation several years ago...when they did away with spending threshold bonuses that gave you both RDMs and MQMs. Getting 30,000 bonus RDMs annually paid for a large percentage of the card fee.

We grumbled and threatened, but in the end, we caved and largely forgot all about it.
hockeystl likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by RobertS975
Look, folks, they already got away with the real devaluation several years ago...when they did away with spending threshold bonuses that gave you both RDMs and MQMs. Getting 30,000 bonus RDMs annually paid for a large percentage of the card fee.

We grumbled and threatened, but in the end, we caved and largely forgot all about it.
I agree that this is usually how it goes and how it's been for the last several decades. Airlines and hotel programs, and now CC's make devaluations, everyone gets annoyed but over time people adjust to the new normal. This one will sting more though, IMHO, because it effects frequent travelers the most and effects every trip.

Would be nice if they could make an exception if you're flying in domestic F though. Wonder if they will.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
OK just looking at the numbers, a Gold card offers MR bonus for both restaurants and grocery versus one point for the Platinum there. It's $445 annually cheaper. Yes there are benefits like the airfare incidentals and Uber for the Platinum, neither of which I use regularly and some I do like the Hotel Collection. If I assume these respective benefits are a wash that comes to almost $75 per visit for my 6 Lounge visits. It seems irresonsible NOT to downgrade, the last time I was in the smaller ATL A lounge there every platter of hot food was empty which would not have been a good experience had I paid $75 bucks for it and frankly is not such a bargain even if it is fully stocked.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 4:16 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I think discussion of whether the Amex Platinum is worth it (which has been debated ad nauseam on other threads) is a separate issue (personally I get a lot of value out of the cards regardless of club access). I think what us more relevant here is from the Delta side - what do they want to do with lounge access, how they want to make money, how they want to position their cards (cobranded and Amex Platinum) versus competitors
DrMilano likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 4:17 pm

Being ATL based it would not be catastrophic if I lost SC access (other than long delays). I would just arrive a little bit later.

But if I was perpetually connecting in ATL (or DTW/MSP/NYC/LAX/SLC, etc.) weekly then lounge access would be well worth even $1,000+/year.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I think more changes need to be made to alleviate crowding, but these changes seem extreme and un-realistic (the OP on Reddit had a combined 5 comments and 0 post before this leak was posted in a comment). If limits are placed I think the AMEX plat will be the first to get them (with a spend limit for exemptions) however I cant see DL touching their own Reserve card for access. Considering how much DL has cut/made it harder to get a traditional SC membership, who else is there to use the lounges without the AMEX cards? Confirmed D1 lounges are coming to LAX and JFK and likely to DTW and ATL as well so it seems the overcrowding issues will soon be resolved.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
It would make sense to limit visits or even elminate them on the non-branded platinum but not the reserve since the compeition all gives access on their premium cards and seeing Delta is doing away with regular skyclub memberships.

Wonder how that will impact reserve card holders accessing the centurion lounges?
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 4:59 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
By the end of the year the line for the CLs in most airports will be out to the street.
that's an under-discussed point. one reason to think these rumors aren't credible is amex has to know that many centurion lounges will become absolute zoos, even more than they are already, with lines so long as to effectively preclude access, if vanilla platholders lose access to skyclubs. not to mention airports like lga, where cardholders would essentially be incentivized to use any airline other than dl because that's where the lounge is.

Originally Posted by demkr
Would be nice if they could make an exception if you're flying in domestic F though. Wonder if they will.
the knock-on effects of this would be monumental and near-catastrophic. ffs who have the ability to book 1-3 month out would scoop up all the f cabins while they're still at discount fares, leaving no higher-fare paid f for close-in bookings. this would be a disaster for rev management and for customer experience since all the hvcs that want to fly expensive paid f wouldn't be able to if the cabins are already full with discount f fares.
DrMilano likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but it also seems like it would make more sense to eliminate access to AU's.

Makes no sense at all to restrict visits to reserve cardholders seeing the only real other benefit you get is all the MQM boosts. HOpefully if they do restrict it to x visits on the reserve you get those with both the personal and business card if you hold both cards
pbjag likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by ekozie
ffs who have the ability to book 1-3 month out would scoop up all the f cabins while they're still at discount fares, leaving no higher-fare paid f for close-in bookings.
Thats not how the fares work.
SteveinA2, wrp96, MarkCron and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 5:37 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but it also seems like it would make more sense to eliminate access to AU's.
Thats now how Amex works though, since they want the AU annual fee revenue, and lounge access privileges have always been the same between the primary card holder and the AUs. Plus, without lounge access, theres no reason for someone to pay for an AU. Both vanilla Amex Plat and Reserve cardholders can already request alternate free AU cards that dont come with any benefits.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 5:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by DLHubber
Thats not how the fares work.
of course f fares go up as supply becomes limited with little regard to the amount of time before a flight. as a broad strokes argument, it's still largely correct that a flight 10 days out with 7 seats left in f is a vastly different pricing environment than 10 days out with 2 seats left in f.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
LOL Delta is really working hard to make sure I never fly with them again.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by dw
Thats now how Amex works though, since they want the AU annual fee revenue, and lounge access privileges have always been the same between the primary card holder and the AUs. Plus, without lounge access, theres no reason for someone to pay for an AU. Both vanilla Amex Plat and Reserve cardholders can already request alternate free AU cards that dont come with any benefits.
There is a difference between the Plat AU and Reserve AU that I could see DL lobbying to change. For the generic AMEX Plat, up to 3 additional AU cards are covered with the extra $175/year fee while the Reserve charges $175 per additional card added. So 3 AUs on the Platinum cost just $175/year while 3 AU Reserve cards cost a total of $525/year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.