Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

My first flight to Mexico delayed for 8 hours, will Delta put me on another airline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My first flight to Mexico delayed for 8 hours, will Delta put me on another airline?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2023, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA

I arrived at the airport (RDU) and was told my flight to Atlanta was delayed for about 8 hours. That flight to ATL was the first of two flights to get me to Mexico City. Because of the long delay, I did not make my connecting flight.

The logical thing to do was for Delta to put me on American Airlines which had more flights to Mexico City than Delta. I did not push it with the Delta Rep in Customer Service. There were no options to get me to Mexico City that day on Delta. They just rebooked me on the early morning flight the next day. Because the flight was so early I just hung out at the airport all night.

If I pushed it harder do you think Delta would have transferred me to either American Airlines or United Airlines? (I was flying coach class and had no status.)
Old Jan 9, 2023, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Narrow Seat
I arrived at the airport (RDU) and was told my flight to Atlanta was delayed for about 8 hours. That flight to ATL was the first of two flights to get me to Mexico City. Because of the long delay, I did not make my connecting flight.

The logical thing to do was for Delta to put me on American Airlines which had more flights to Mexico City than Delta. I did not push it with the Delta Rep in Customer Service. There were no options to get me to Mexico City that day on Delta. They just rebooked me on the early morning flight the next day. Because the flight was so early I just hung out at the airport all night.

If I pushed it harder do you think Delta would have transferred me to either American Airlines or United Airlines? (I was flying coach class and had no status.)
Not unless DL and AM both couldn't get you there.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 5:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
What was the reason for the delay? If it was in Delta's control (lots of variability in what makes it in its control), they should have given you a hotel voucher and meal vouchers. If weather related, hit or miss with those. I've had DL put me on another airline as well, but I was pretty specific with my request (what about AA flight 123). They are not required to do that, but sometimes will.
boss315 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 8:04 am

Interesting - After doing some research yesterday for a winter getaway, before reading this, I had just decided to book PDX-OAX or at least PDX-MEX via American (at least it's not United.) There's loyalty and then there's simplicity.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ConnieDee
Interesting - After doing some research yesterday for a winter getaway, before reading this, I had just decided to book PDX-OAX or at least PDX-MEX via American (at least it's not United.) There's loyalty and then there's simplicity.
The exact same thing could happen with AA. If you book the noon PDX flight to DFW connecting to MEX and the PDX-DFW flight is delayed by an hour or more, you most likely won't be getting to MEX until the next day. Even if AA would be willing to put you on another airline, there's no guarantee they could get you there same day. DL actually has fairly decent options from the west due to AM partnership. If you want to improve your chances of getting to MEX same day, it's probably best to book one of the early morning connecting flights out of PDX on AA or DL. Mexico fares also allow for overnight connections and you could book a flight into your connecting city the night before and stay in a hotel there if you want to improve chances of getting to destination on a particular day.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 16, 2023 at 8:38 am
Old Jan 17, 2023, 9:09 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by Narrow Seat

You should have asked for more from the passenger service agent at the airport. The company has policies but the agent or their supervisor is empowered to give more than company policy states.

Also try to be polite when asking for more. I am a former ticket agent and we would give more amenities to polite passengers in your situation than to those who threaten or are abusive.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by ConnieDee
You should learn how to write flights the Flyertalk way so it is clear to everybody. There is no PDX-OAX in one go, it requires a connection. So on FT people write PDX-XXX-OAX if there is a connection (and you don't want to say what).
​​​​​​Because too many get confused by non-stop versus direct, just write all the stops out.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.