Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2023 Airline/Elite Status Plans

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2023, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Even with the lower bar, I concluded it was easier to just take PM (which is very useful even in paid F for the priority service and free SDCs) with 4x RUC and occasional free upgrade.

To make DM worthwhile you'd really need to squeeze value out of the additional certificates, which in my opinion is a stretch for how much harder it is to make DM. If you end up there based on your travel patterns, that's nice, but running for more than a couple thousand dollars seems crazy.

Also note that I don't know how you turned SkyMiles into upgrades, but that it is probably no different than buying domestic tickets with them (and actually probably worse), so also consider that you can use your mileage balance for tickets and that it's basically same-as-cash at around 1 cpm unless you really strive to improve that.
tardyturtle and Return2flight like this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
If you're paying for F/J I find little need for status. Maybe on a call or in IRROPS but again, its paid F, so rebooking shouldn't be an issue. Wait times on phone lines may be my biggest issue however honestly I get just as many poorly trained/useless agents on the PM/DM line as I do good ones these days once I do get through.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by DLATL777
If you're paying for F/J I find little need for status. Maybe on a call or in IRROPS but again, its paid F, so rebooking shouldn't be an issue.
Huh? Paid F has the most issues with rebooking, between the computers and agents who are quite certain you want to get on that next flight, even if it's in 36E (or maybe you actually do want that?).

I would find the "little need for status" argument to have more credence if there was a priority line for F pax.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 3:24 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by findark
Huh? Paid F has the most issues with rebooking, between the computers and agents who are quite certain you want to get on that next flight, even if it's in 36E (or maybe you actually do want that?).

I would find the "little need for status" argument to have more credence if there was a priority line for F pax.
My experience (AFKL Gold mostly flying DL domestic nonrefundable F) over the past 15 months (would have Diamond MQD but barely enough MQM for FO) has been, since I started flying SDC-able routes last fall (mainline destinations vs. 5 RJs a day) is 5ish SDCs with a total hold time of less than 2 minutes, ticket gets reissued in full J (credits with the J vs. I/Z multiplier) for free (which isn't an STE+ benefit), issued a standby BP, get assigned a Main Cabin window, talk to redcoat who pulls up the booking and what DL has as a profile, and before Main 3 is called a Diamond or Platinum who hadn't boarded gets 20A or whatever. Maybe there's a policy change, maybe I'm a 180, but the WFBF rebooking experience works for me.
DLATL777 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 4:03 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Yep, I thought of that as I replied. I guess if the flight looks to have lots of FC seats when I pick my seat I can take the risk, but there's no way of knowing.

And as @findark points out, my use of 456k of SkyMiles for upgrades is quite a bit in $$ terms - but I also have far fewer of those to play with this year. And my RUCs and GUCs went largely unused, as using them was inconsistent with my need to get MQDs via upgrades.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 6:45 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
We had the same query and are now happy PMs. Yes less priority for upgrades, but at least we dont waste the cash.
From our calculations we cannot hit the MQD - it will need 2M Skypesos even if we used only awards

The 45k MQM difference is doable, but the spend waiver is 225k extra spend = worth at least 6k to us up front in lost cash back
For that we get 4 GUCs and 4 more RUCs - When we tried to get our GUCs used last year - we managed but the amount we saved over just booking UA IN awardsis questionable
e.g., our AMS flight took 95k pesos - upgraded to comfort plus at once - then rebooked in Premium economy for 110k - then we applied 4 GUCs for family to get to AMS
For the return we got upgraded at the gate with 4 more GUCs

In contrast UA gives away J/C award seats 48 hrs out - our paris trip we had Polaris lie flats on a nonstop for 63k x2 = 126k total for TATL flights

If you are going to do the run to DM do not waste yor skypesos on DL flights - the return is poor at 1c
Look at the forum on Business class runs and do a AF run to Dubai in business - you can see others who have done that for the MQDs
LAX-CDG-DXB and back is 18k miles or about 5k MQDs

Originally Posted by CrazyEddie
Yep, I thought of that as I replied. I guess if the flight looks to have lots of FC seats when I pick my seat I can take the risk, but there's no way of knowing.
And as @findark points out, my use of 456k of SkyMiles for upgrades is quite a bit in $$ terms - but I also have far fewer of those to play with this year. And my RUCs and GUCs went largely unused, as using them was inconsistent with my need to get MQDs via upgrades.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by speede racer
I doubt generating $20,000 every two years is a good strategy in general. For instance I am currently DM and will likely spend my usual $15,000-ish this year on necessary travel. If I wait till next January and spend $20,000 Y, where Y is some multiplier where I get more MQD than actually spent (e.g., via J partner flights), then the $15,000 I needed to spend will not be used toward my Diamond status. It would be better if some time over the current year I spend an additional $5,000 Y. The same logic applies next year, when I also anticipate $15,000 in necessary spend. I'd get 2 years worth of DM with 2 x $5000 Y = $10,000 Y artificial spend. This would also give me an extra year of PM and DM choice benefits compared to the once-every-other-January strategy. Perhaps I would use the manufactured spend to, e.g., buy premium select seats on a planned personal trip to Asia, and use the DM choice benefit GUCs for a D1 upgrade!

I think the financial break-even point is when one expects to spend less than $10,000 / year for necessary travel. Even then it would be reasonable to ask whether the $10,000 Y per year would be used more satisfactorily by, e.g., directly buying D1 tickets on flights where that is particularly important. Or perhaps the reduced flying implied by less-than-$10,000 spend would make the perks of DM not worth it at all?

Actually for DM status I treasured most the pre-covid sky clubs as a place of quiet, GUC upgrades to D1, and excellent customer support; I tend not to travel during peak times and complimentary domestic upgrades made the RUCs not that important. It will not be possible to choose SkyClub access as a choice benefit, the clubs are no longer quiet, and upgrading to Premium Select is not particularly appealing. I don't think the $5,000Y artificial spend is worth it to me, so to come back to the topic of this thread my plan is to land softly at the status my travel leads me to, probably PM.
It may not be a good strategy for you but you have to recognize that other's situations are different. In my case, I have no use for RDMs so ow that I can burn them for MQD's makes good sense for me. I can even chuckle as I look for the highest priced shortest elapsed time trips with the least exposure to delays. I loved the 110,000 mile MSY-ATL-MSY trips that gave me $1,100 MQD for a 4 hour RT wit a couple of Sky Club visits with friends.
Other than those trips, my net out of pocket costs for $20,000 MQD, good for 2 years of DM were $2,600 or $1,300 per year. I'm satisfied with that!
Sky Clubs? I have a lifetime membership! The most meaningful CBs for me are gifting GM to 2 people and actual $ credits. I take GUC's to use for a trip where I have a firm TATL schedule or I'm on a Business trip, which is a rare occurrence. Otherwise, we travel on off days and off hours in D1 as NRSAs.
So your strategy doesn't work for me and mine doesn't work for you. Everyone else has their own priorities, needs and resources. Please don't judge us based on your requirements.
hhdl likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 12:07 am

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Spent 2022 as a UA 1K, DL DM, and AA PlatPro. Not impressed with UA, as IAD and EWR are dumps, United Clubs are awful, and Polaris cabin soft product needs a lot of improvement. My upgrades cleared at higher percentage on UA > DL > AA, but at least DL has a ‘full” selection of PDB when offered compared to UA and AA of sparkling wine or OJ. With ‘free’ tablet/laptop Wifi on Delta starting this month, this is an advantage over UA and AA. At least sitting in DL Y there is live TV, compared to AA and UA staring at a blank seat back. Being based in CHS, my closest AA hub is CLT, which is an other crowded dump, as I prefer ATL over CLT or IAD. DCA is OK. When connecting in the New York area for offseason TATL, JFK is preferred over EWR, especially with the JFK Centurion Lounge. The new UA EWR club is nothing to write home about. Regarding partner airlines, DL has a tighter alliance with AF/KLM, compared to UA with the LH group. DL will solve issues with AF/KLM, whereas UA will punt and good luck dealing with LH group when an issue arises.

Therefore, 2023 will have 90% of my travel on DL, as I remain UA gold. Maintaining DL DM with $20k MQD spend shouldn’t be an issue, especially when booking premium cabins on either AF/KLM. DL also has the most direct flights to either LGA/JFK from my home base of CHS.
SuperG1955 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 8:10 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
So your strategy doesn't work for me and mine doesn't work for you. Everyone else has their own priorities, needs and resources. Please don't judge us based on your requirements.
Sorry I didn't mean to pass judgement. I was responding to the generalization quoted in my original reply that "the focus for US-based DMs ... is to hit either $20,000 MQDs or $250k Amex spend ASAP every TWO Januarys". That [edit: the $20k MQD part] is only correct when spending less than $10,000 in necessary travel.

I guess your NRSA travel means that you spend less than $10,000 annually, so the once-every-two-years strategy makes financial sense. Whether the remainder of the equation makes sense or not is of course up to the individual.
SuperG1955 likes this.

Last edited by speede racer; Feb 8, 2023 at 8:51 pm
Old Feb 8, 2023, 6:03 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by speede racer
I was responding to the generalization quoted in my original reply that "the focus for US-based DMs ... is to hit either $20,000 MQDs or $250k Amex spend ASAP every TWO Januarys"..
250k Amex spend costs anyone 2.625c lost cash back = 6500$ - then add in 550$ x2 in fees = 7600$ - less 2500$ in miles leaves us with cost of $5000 for 2 yrs of free domestic upgrades on DL and the choice benefits - to me the best are GM status gift or 4 GUCs and 8 RUCs. Even thinking GUC is worth min 500$ vs RUCs at least 150$ extra value above routine upgrades = about 3000$ value in guaranteed upgrades on top of routine upgrades
For any flyer in the US with lots of domestic travel the real cost of 2k for 2 yrs of easy travel is probably worth it
Old Feb 8, 2023, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by ffI
250k Amex spend costs anyone 2.625c lost cash back = 6500$ - then add in 550$ x2 in fees = 7600$ - less 2500$ in miles leaves us with cost of $5000 for 2 yrs of free domestic upgrades on DL and the choice benefits - to me the best are GM status gift or 4 GUCs and 8 RUCs. Even thinking GUC is worth min 500$ vs RUCs at least 150$ extra value above routine upgrades = about 3000$ value in guaranteed upgrades on top of routine upgrades
For any flyer in the US with lots of domestic travel the real cost of 2k for 2 yrs of easy travel is probably worth it
Slight correction. On my Reserve card I got 1.5SM/$ spent after hitting $150,000 so in your above analysis you would receive an additional 50,000 SM ($500) between $150,000-$250,000 spend. So your real cost is $1,500 for 2 years of easy travel or $750 per year.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 7:41 pm

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
This thread has been helpful as I also transition to AA from DL has a BHM based flyer.

AA just makes more sense now days and the DL product has become less and less attractive, especially so with their service here at BHM which is comically wrong for a market of this size.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JesseRohr
This thread has been helpful as I also transition to AA from DL has a BHM based flyer.

AA just makes more sense now days and the DL product has become less and less attractive, especially so with their service here at BHM which is comically wrong for a market of this size.
With the gravitational pull of ATL, BHM can never obtain escape velocity with DL.
BamaGirl likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffI
If you're using the Reserve card as a basis with its AF, add back two companion certs too, which are easily $2,000+ of value.

However, I usually don't include the AF in this calculation because the card stands on its own without putting any spend on it.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 8:58 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
250K in spend in January is a lot. I'm happy with trying to hit Diamond in a more old fashioned way (one or two transatlantic business trips in J, two or three transcon business trips in J, normal domestic travel, one or two Amex Reserve boosts).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.