FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2023 Airline/Elite Status Plans
View Single Post
Old Feb 6, 2023, 6:45 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
We had the same query and are now happy PMs. Yes less priority for upgrades, but at least we dont waste the cash.
From our calculations we cannot hit the MQD - it will need 2M Skypesos even if we used only awards

The 45k MQM difference is doable, but the spend waiver is 225k extra spend = worth at least 6k to us up front in lost cash back
For that we get 4 GUCs and 4 more RUCs - When we tried to get our GUCs used last year - we managed but the amount we saved over just booking UA IN awardsis questionable
e.g., our AMS flight took 95k pesos - upgraded to comfort plus at once - then rebooked in Premium economy for 110k - then we applied 4 GUCs for family to get to AMS
For the return we got upgraded at the gate with 4 more GUCs

In contrast UA gives away J/C award seats 48 hrs out - our paris trip we had Polaris lie flats on a nonstop for 63k x2 = 126k total for TATL flights

If you are going to do the run to DM do not waste yor skypesos on DL flights - the return is poor at 1c
Look at the forum on Business class runs and do a AF run to Dubai in business - you can see others who have done that for the MQDs
LAX-CDG-DXB and back is 18k miles or about 5k MQDs

Originally Posted by CrazyEddie
Yep, I thought of that as I replied. I guess if the flight looks to have lots of FC seats when I pick my seat I can take the risk, but there's no way of knowing.
And as @findark points out, my use of 456k of SkyMiles for upgrades is quite a bit in $$ terms - but I also have far fewer of those to play with this year. And my RUCs and GUCs went largely unused, as using them was inconsistent with my need to get MQDs via upgrades.