Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Ed said on CNBC there were no cuts. They simply canceled some planned growth after July 1.
That doesn't mesh with the schedule cuts that they have been loading for July/August (and beyond in a number of cases) the last few weekends. There were only maybe 2 or 3 adds during this time, so it doesn't come anywhere close to offseting cuts.

Here are some routes that lost one daily frequency starting on July 2nd (there are a number of others that had less than daily cuts). These were all loaded in just the last few weeks. Many are mainline, but there are some RJ routes here too. They are also all cuts compared to what was operating for June, so they aren't just reductions in planned growth (I'm guessing these are weasel words and he was comparing it to overall seats operating last July, and not what was operating just the previous month).

AEX-ATL
ATL-AVL
ATL-BWI

ATL-CVG
ATL-CRW
ATL-EVV

ATL-NAS
ATL-PHX
ATL-RIC
ATL-SFO
ATL-SJU
AZO-DTW
BOS-BWI
BOS-CHS

BOS-FLL
BOS-JAX

BOS-LAS
DAY-DTW
DTW-LAN
DTW-LAS
DTW-MBS
DTW-MEM
DTW-OMA

DTW-PHX
DTW-SAN
DTW-SAT
FLL-MSP
JFK-SDQ
JFK-SJU
JFK-STI
LAX-TPA
MCI-SLC
MIA-MSP
MKE-SLC (route return canceled)
MSP-MLI
MSP-SAT

MSP-YWG
MSP-YYC
OMA-SLC

RDU-TPA

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 24, 2022 at 9:01 am
Old Jun 24, 2022, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rylan
I'm wondering here - are the flight cuts that DL already announced and implemented starting last month even having an impact here? That was supposed to improve the network resiliency and bring in some buffer to prevent further cancellations and significant delays from minor events.

DL is continuing to have regular meltdowns and dumping flights all over the place.
I understood that they were cutting flights that were on the schedule for July and August, so obviously it's not July yet and so it can't be having an impact.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I am flying RDU-ATL-SFO on Sat 6/25. Long layover in ATL to save on miles when I booked several months back. Which turns out to have been a good choice. Got a notice last night that my late afternoon ATL-SFO had been cancelled but I was rebooked to an earlier ATL-SFO flight with a manageable layover in ATL; RDU-ATL hasn't changed. Initially lost my C+ upgrade for ATL-SFO but it came back this morning.
When I checked in got the screen inviting me to bid on a bump - probably not interested but if it happens will see what the option is.
Just hoping things don't deteriorate overnight.
My return is July 2 on a redeye through ATL. See what happens!
My DEN-DTW-RDU redeye on 6/23 was uneventful!
Old Jun 24, 2022, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by hockeystl
Not even lunch hour yet and DL's NYC ops quickly turning into a dumpster fire.
I flew DL into LGA this morning with just a one hour delay.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Jun 25, 2022 at 4:39 am
Old Jun 24, 2022, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM
As a contrarian, my most recent trip XXX-ATL-MUC; MUC-DTW-XXX was almost without problem.

ATL had serious weather the day before, but day of the inbound (ATL-XXX) & outbound XXX-ATL flight operated on time.

The FAs were great all round (PDBs & attentive service on XXX-ATL & DTW-XXX; attentive service for my C+ ATL-MUC; really great service D1 MUC-DTW, including food & wine definitely on the palatable side).

The SkyClub in ATL presented me with a line. I asked the line dragon where the nearest public (gasp!) restroom was, and by the time I returned the line was gone.

I received 5000 "INFLIGHT SERVICE INCONVENIENCE BONUS MILES" on ATL-MUC. My own experience was great; perhaps I had more to drink than I remember?

The MUC-DTW flight departed and arrived late (making up a bit of time in the air). For some reason t-mobile provided me with free WiFi for the entire flight. We were arriving late, and the app initially showed a number of interesting alternatives for DTW-XXX, e.g., DTW-LEX-ATL-XXX, but by the time we were landing had 'protected' me on the next DTW-XXX. But Global Entry and a super-efficient pre-check point at DTW meant that I was in the SkyClub about 15 minutes after landing, and easily made my less-than-1-hour intl-domestic connection.

To me this is the Delta I know from the before times -- great staff and real effort to get me to my destination safely and on time.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Flew AVL-ATL-MCO this week. AVL-ATL was showing a 30 minute delay for boarding and departure. Ended up pushing early and arriving ahead of schedule. Of course, DL’s padding of and hour on a flight that takes about 30 minutes probably didn’t hurt the situation.

That said, I count myself lucky I was flying on a casual Tuesday evening with absolutely no weather. Even ended up getting upgraded on both legs as an FO and lucked out with great crews on both flights. Definitely one of the more positive DL experiences I’ve had in the last two years.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I flew into LGA this morning with just a one hour delay.
Indeed, only 9% of Delta flights to/from LGA were delayed today (and 7% canceled). Not sure how that's a "dumpster fire". Endeavor had higher cancellations, but hardly "dumpster fire" level.
JFK had more delays, but less cancellations. This was common across many carriers today, and would have been just as common in summer 2017 or 2019.
Mhyduchak likes this.

Last edited by Adam1222; Jun 24, 2022 at 8:58 pm
Old Jun 24, 2022, 10:48 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Wow only just past midnight on Saturday 25 June, and there’s already 190 cancellations on FlightAware.
can’t imagine the total by the end of the day !!
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:32 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
I just got back from a KLM round trip (on KLM metal, connecting at AMS) where every segment was delayed. Luckily, the flights I was connecting TO were delayed as well.

But I did make it to my destination in both directions on the right days. These days, that's a "win". Don't kid yourself that any airline is immune.

If you're flying through AMS this summer, expect delays.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by tanglin
Surely it will be lost in January 2023? I rolled over DM this year, and expect to be a lowly PM next year as my company has not returned to full travel yet. I'll only be PM I think becasue of Amex (I might just qualify, not sure).
Any miles that rolled over to this year are good for next year's status, so I expect a lot of folks to still have "rolled over" status next year, at various levels.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by rylan
For my flight that was canceled last Fri I received an canned apology email that they seem to send out regularly, and then 10k miles. I still plan on writing in to DL about the various issues, agents that were not capable of rebooking, and downgrade comp.
You are “lucky”. I received no apology email from DL. The complaint I sent via the contact form on the website was handled and replied by AF as I am based in France and the response was that I was not eligible to EU compensation (of course, it’s not and I never requested that) and they even refused to reimburse me the taxi to/from the airport. So it was a very polite f..k you email to a SkyTeam a elite plus pax.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 4:01 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did you ask for a PDB?
​​​​I did not. It was 11 am and my wife was with me .
Old Jun 25, 2022, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by drminn
​​​​I did not. It was 11 am and my wife was with me .
That doesn't seem to stop a lot of people. Maybe the wife more than the time...
Old Jun 25, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
I just got back from a KLM round trip (on KLM metal, connecting at AMS) where every segment was delayed. Luckily, the flights I was connecting TO were delayed as well.

But I did make it to my destination in both directions on the right days. These days, that's a "win". Don't kid yourself that any airline is immune.

If you're flying through AMS this summer, expect delays.
A week from tomorrow I fly OKC - WAW via ATL then CDG which is of course a holiday weekend. The return is through AMS with 1 hours 45 minutes to connect.
With a dedicated thread on AMS reporting issues there + posts in this thread I wish I could change my return. However, I paid economy and upgraded with GUCs which greatly limits my options.
I also learned from a local source that some of the OKC-ATL-OKC flights are not flying. One person reported getting to ATL on a domestic trip then flying to TUL and getting a rental car to make it to OKC.
I thought about giving this trip up, but I think my GUCs are only good in 2022 and I need to keep alive the slim hope of making it back to DM for next year.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Xeno
A week from tomorrow I fly OKC - WAW via ATL then CDG which is of course a holiday weekend. The return is through AMS with 1 hours 45 minutes to connect.
With a dedicated thread on AMS reporting issues there + posts in this thread I wish I could change my return. However, I paid economy and upgraded with GUCs which greatly limits my options.
I also learned from a local source that some of the OKC-ATL-OKC flights are not flying. One person reported getting to ATL on a domestic trip then flying to TUL and getting a rental car to make it to OKC.
I thought about giving this trip up, but I think my GUCs are only good in 2022 and I need to keep alive the slim hope of making it back to DM for next year.
All I can say is "Good luck." AMS has warned that July is going to be a mess. I believe them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.