Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2022, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by VFR
I
Conversely, I would guess most people get the Delta Reserve for Sky Club access (cue the FTers who will explain to me why they pay for a SC membership and have it for the companion cert)..
Main reason I got the reserve was for the MQM's to be diamond. Unfortunately Delta and AmEx made a drastic cut to that benefit a few years ago when they raised the spend requirement by 1000% for the MQD waiver. It does give me some nice rollover miles though and is heping me get to my next MM status a lot faster with the MQM boosts.
MSPeconomist, volabam and VFR like this.
Old May 11, 2022, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
This (sort of) assumes delta would want to do that, which I highly doubt they do, even if amex said "do whatever you want."

I also don't think people would trade the card for lounge membership. My guess is, maybe they keep the card, maybe they don't, but they wouldn't buy lounge access either way.
I'm not everybody but as a sample size of 1 if travel returned to normal levels, I value arrival access enough that I'd replace the Reserve with an SC membership if that were a path to that access. I wouldn't dump AX cards entirely (have a regular Plat and a Reserve) but would replace the Reserve with the DL Platinum to use for MQD waiver and MQMs. The companion pass was painful to use--I don't consider the J companion pass worthless but it's not $550 to me. And the upgrade priority tie-breaker is below fare class--if it were just below Medallion status and before fare class, I'd probably keep the Reserve in that hypothetical scenario.
Old May 11, 2022, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Main reason I got the reserve was for the MQM's to be diamond. Unfortunately Delta and AmEx made a drastic cut to that benefit a few years ago when they raised the spend requirement by 1000% for the MQD waiver. It does give me some nice rollover miles though and is heping me get to my next MM status a lot faster with the MQM boosts.
With the opportunity cost associated with $250k spend for Diamond, I'd run that spend through 5% categories or 2-3% everyday cards and just pay for J with the extra cash. Then might make Diamond without an MQD waiver . The MQMs are nice and I've got a good headway into some kind of status in 2024 but could get a good part of that with the DL Platinum for $300 less per year.

Last edited by volabam; May 11, 2022 at 4:34 pm Reason: Account for DL Plat fee having gone up
Old May 11, 2022, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Originally Posted by ijgordon
No, the latter group should be tarred and feathered for being so financially irresponsible to pay $500 JUST for SkyClub membership.
Honestly, I have ZERO sympathy for this argument.
I assume you mean people who get the card solely (just) for the lounge access and not that the lounge access is the only benefit of the card yea?
Old May 11, 2022, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by photojojo
I assume you mean people who get the card solely (just) for the lounge access and not that the lounge access is the only benefit of the card yea?
No, I meant people who buy lounge memberships.
photojojo likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC DMs have lounge access, not memberships (unless they purchase a membership).
I’m must be missing the point here. What other benefit does a “membership” provide other than lounge access?
Old May 11, 2022, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kale73
I’m must be missing the point here. What other benefit does a “membership” provide other than lounge access?
DM's get a real Individual membership these days if they choose that as their CB (Exec membership requires 2 CBs). AMEX Reserve cardholders get access, but not a membership. The main distinction these days is that actual members get access when they are flying same-day DL or partner operated flight (even if not DL marketed). While AMEX Reserve cardholders only get access if flying DL operated or DL marketed flights, but not when flying partner metal that is not DL marketed. Although if they are STE+ and flying international on partners, they will have access based on their status. Of course Exec members also get comped guests.
The distinction was more meaningful back when a Sky Club membership got you into AF/KL partner operated lounges on domestic flights.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; May 11, 2022 at 10:08 pm
Old May 11, 2022, 10:19 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by ijgordon
No, I meant people who buy lounge memberships.
Narrow viewpoint.

Depending on the employer, a membership may be a reimbursable expense whereas a personal credit card annual fee may not be.
Old May 11, 2022, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Minnyappleus
With Delta sabotaging the ground experience (SkyClub on arrival), I will now have heightened expectations on food quality in the sky club and service on board. It went from "ok" to have mediocre sky club food and no PDB or proper drink service in flight to an expectation that food quality and multiple drink rounds and snack passes are made. Without arrival access, this is an expectation.
I think if you tell a flight attendant that they need to offer PDBs, multiple drink rounds and snack passes, and better food because you don't have access to an airport lounge on arrival, they're going to laugh at you.
Old May 12, 2022, 6:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Narrow viewpoint.

Depending on the employer, a membership may be a reimbursable expense whereas a personal credit card annual fee may not be.
Or vice versa. Some employers provide corporate AmEx Plat charge cards to employees who travel as part of their jobs.
jamesteroh and IndyHoosier like this.
Old May 12, 2022, 7:03 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles | Platinum
Originally Posted by steveholt
I think if you tell a flight attendant that they need to offer PDBs, multiple drink rounds and snack passes, and better food because you don't have access to an airport lounge on arrival, they're going to laugh at you.
You've missed the point of this post. Clearly FAs follow the outline DL sets for them. My point was that I (and others) should no longer accept COVID cutbacks as the company claws away even more benefits. I've been giving DL a pass on service and quality and will now become more vocal - phone, email, and surveys - about the experience when necessary. Delta does listen and compensate when appropriate.
Old May 12, 2022, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by VFR
Conversely, I would guess most people get the Delta Reserve for Sky Club access (cue the FTers who will explain to me why they pay for a SC membership and have it for the companion cert).
Can't speak for "most people" but I hold the Reserve for the cert (which more than pays for it) and free SC access is icing on the cake. I didn't keep a domestic lounge membership on airlines where I actually had to pay.

Although at this point I am also an Amex Plat cardholder, so...
VFR likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
The main attraction of the Reserve for me is the ability to earn MQM - maintaining Platinum or even Gold is worth the fee for me. The certificate is fine, but increasingly hard to use. SkyClub access can be had with the Amex Platinum, which is basically a free card for me because the various credits work for me.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I purchased a TWA lifetime lounge membership early in my career. When the lounge that I used most closed, I purchased a DL Crown Room membership for a couple years even though I wasn't flying DL much then (as lounges didn't require flights on particular airlines then unless you were entering based on an AmEx Plat card). Under PMNW and now DL, I never felt the need to get a lounge membership as I always have several (up to four or five) permitted ways to enter a lounge.
Old May 12, 2022, 8:03 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Just got an email from Delta. Arrival access is restored!
manually and PanAmSam like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.