Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2022, 7:26 pm

While I am sympathetic, I firmly believe that there should be a difference in access level between members (paying and via choice benefit) and those accessing "for free" on a credit card, which yes has an annual fee associated with it, but club access is often one of the many perks offered while people are paying $500/year just for membership to the SkyClubs. The latter group should be afforded priority and expanded (on arrival etc) access.
jghassell, jamesteroh and cubeman like this.
Old May 10, 2022, 8:18 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by USCTrojan83
The latter group should be afforded priority and expanded (on arrival etc) access.
It seems clear that the credit card access channels are more profitable to Delta overall and that the membership channel is really an accommodation for customers who don't want to acquire an Amex card and/or find it more efficient to expense the membership through their own business or an employer.

IMHO, based on where things stand today in the loyalty universe, it is unlikely that DL would alter the value proposition to favor paid memberships over entry via the Amex relationship (same with AA/Citi and UA/Chase). I could envision the SC benefit becoming more limited overall, with extra access at a higher price--but still maintaining a framework that promotes Amex access over straight membership.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; May 10, 2022 at 8:21 pm Reason: amplif.
Old May 10, 2022, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I am sympathetic, I firmly believe that there should be a difference in access level between members (paying and via choice benefit) and those accessing "for free" on a credit card, which yes has an annual fee associated with it, but club access is often one of the many perks offered while people are paying $500/year just for membership to the SkyClubs. The latter group should be afforded priority and expanded (on arrival etc) access.
No, the latter group should be tarred and feathered for being so financially irresponsible to pay $500 JUST for SkyClub membership.
Honestly, I have ZERO sympathy for this argument.
jimquan, Statman, emma dog and 3 others like this.
Old May 10, 2022, 9:48 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by ijgordon
No, the latter group should be tarred and feathered for being so financially irresponsible to pay $500 JUST for SkyClub membership.
Agreed that this avenue is likely for those who expense their memberships- there’s certainly a reason the credit card avenue is overall cheaper than the price of membership… DL (and AA and UA) clearly value those card memberships more than club membership.
emma dog and ExArkie like this.
Old May 11, 2022, 12:22 am

Programs: HH, Asiana club, Elevated, Skymiles, Fairmont President's Club
Delta 180

Access on arrival on airline lounge should be considered a membership benefit, access to an airport lounge i.e; Centurion, The Club, Plaza Premium, etc. is totally different, access restrictions are expected as it’s not airline or fare specific, but at a SkyClub, which btw, you can’t get in unless you are flying Delta or partners, the incentive to acquire membership either by paying cash, points, earned via status or credit card is not there anymore, most comments regarding arrival access have one thing in common, use the bathroom, shower, maybe grab a cup of coffee, print some documents, etc, in and out in 5-10min, not sure how Delta came up with restricting access to arrival is going to help overcrowding, at least in my case and most people I know, arrival is not at peak hours, even if that is the case, they maybe getting some people accessing SC they are not keeping track of who is leaving or how long they stayed. Personally, I believe it will help Delta’s bottom line, and AMX too, I see no point in renewing an already expensive travel card, or paid membership, I can pay for food and/or sign up for CapitalOne X and get PP with restaurant benefits, last I checked there are no lounges on Michelin Guide nor La Listle.
This is the chicken and the egg dilemma, they open SkyClubs to attract business, entice passengers to buy access via paid membership, or credit card benefit, then limit the use because is “overcrowded”, I have a felling this will hurt their business, and also American Express’s, don’t be surprised if they make a Delta 180 (pun intended).

Last edited by ZJ3000; May 11, 2022 at 12:47 am
Old May 11, 2022, 1:30 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Enough people have complained here that I'm starting to think that it might make a difference, after all.
photojojo, wrp96, Adelphos and 3 others like this.
Old May 11, 2022, 6:45 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by jghassell
I'm curious if anyone has received a reply from [email protected], which is where the FAQs on the new policy announcement page direct people to inquire about a prorated refund. I emailed last Wednesday within an hour of getting the email announcement about the policy changes, and I followed up again yesterday. I didn't expect an immediate reply, but I also expect a response within a reasonable timeframe as well, particularly if we have to have a "discussion" as the FAQ entry suggests...
No reply to my email from middle of last week either.

Anyone have the email?
Claude Roussel
Managing Director – Delta Sky Club
Old May 11, 2022, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Might I suggest that the next time Delta holds a meeting of the club "members" that you bring this up and ask the "members" to vote on the policy. It is a "club" after all.
Old May 11, 2022, 8:27 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
Agree. And those of us who do pay for the clubs themselves are being sent a message here - we are less valuable customers to Delta than Amex's customers are to Delta. That's fine; I can appreciate the business reality of that. As they say, it is what it is. I'll just make my own new decisions based on this latest information, and that includes pulling out of a deal they unilaterally changed halfway through.
jamesteroh and KDCAflyer like this.
Old May 11, 2022, 8:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeystl
No reply to my email from middle of last week either.

Anyone have the email?
Claude Roussel
Managing Director – Delta Sky Club
I would guess that the email inbox is getting swamped.

I would email and also write in using the comment/complaint form on the website. FWIW I did check the "I would like a response" box on the form.
Old May 11, 2022, 8:48 am

Delta has the numbers and knows how the math works. While the annual fee generates some revenue for them and is part of the story, every dollar spent (and thus mile purchased by Amex) generates incremental revenue at or near 100% profit margin since it costs them zero in fuel, utilities, flight crew, plane payments, etc. I suspect (gut feel, no data), particularly with the changes between the card tiers, that the Reserve card holders probably average the highest annual spend of the various tiers. If those customers perceive the value of that card as being lower perhaps some of them drop to a lower tier, or drop a delta card entirely and move that spend to a generic Amex or other co-branded card.
IndyHoosier and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old May 11, 2022, 9:00 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM
Originally Posted by jghassell
I'm curious if anyone has received a reply from [email protected], which is where the FAQs on the new policy announcement page direct people to inquire about a prorated refund. I emailed last Wednesday within an hour of getting the email announcement about the policy changes, and I followed up again yesterday. I didn't expect an immediate reply, but I also expect a response within a reasonable timeframe as well, particularly if we have to have a "discussion" as the FAQ entry suggests...
My query about refund options for a paid membership, sent May 4 late in the day, elicited a response May 10 asking for clarification -- was I asking in response to policy change? So I guess the email is being triaged, with a coordinated reply at some point.
Old May 11, 2022, 9:08 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
It's funny that people are saying that Delta Reserve cardholders are more loyal than Amex Platinum holders. I'm loyal to the airline, but I am considering downgrading the Reserve to the Delta Platinum given the overlap the card's benefits have with the Amex Platinum. I'm sure many loyal Delta flyers have made the same calculation - especially as the companion pass has been devalued through limited availability (at least for me).
Old May 11, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by john1928
Delta has the numbers and knows how the math works. While the annual fee generates some revenue for them and is part of the story, every dollar spent (and thus mile purchased by Amex) generates incremental revenue at or near 100% profit margin since it costs them zero in fuel, utilities, flight crew, plane payments, etc. I suspect (gut feel, no data), particularly with the changes between the card tiers, that the Reserve card holders probably average the highest annual spend of the various tiers. If those customers perceive the value of that card as being lower perhaps some of them drop to a lower tier, or drop a delta card entirely and move that spend to a generic Amex or other co-branded card.
Credit cards are a lot more sticky than lounge memberships.
Old May 11, 2022, 10:01 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles | Platinum
With Delta sabotaging the ground experience (SkyClub on arrival), I will now have heightened expectations on food quality in the sky club and service on board. It went from "ok" to have mediocre sky club food and no PDB or proper drink service in flight to an expectation that food quality and multiple drink rounds and snack passes are made. Without arrival access, this is an expectation.
KDCAflyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.