Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2022, 8:12 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does AmEx still give pro-rated annual fee refunds when its cards are cancelled? If so, shouldn't the response be to cancel those cards now (or actually on June 1st) rather than at renewal time?
Please downgrade your card to the fee free Delta Blue card - get your AF prorated credit first then cancel the card anytime!
dw likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
The real slap in the face here is that they acknowledge the benefit of a quick visit to the Sky Club after a red eye by waiving the arrival rules for domestic D1 passengers, but won't waive it for any other member coming off a red eye, regardless of whether or not the red eye flight has a D1 cabin.
volabam likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 8:17 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Current definition of "Most Loyal" = Most Cash today -> that is why Delta One is more loyal than the rest
Hey the singular experience quote from DL that someone posted upthread a bit referred to D1 passengers as being the most loyal. I find it surprising that DL considers one D1 segment as constituting loyalty while those of us who travel for business are kicked to the curb.
DiverDave, wrp96, volabam and 2 others like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
As one based in ATL, it seems unfair. We do not connect as much, so we don't have to wait for a connection. These are not billed as connection lounges —or something that is somehow priced into a connecting ticket. Indeed, many single segments out of Atlanta are priced higher than connecting routes from other cities that feed onto the exact same flights.

ATL business travelers often enter the airport later than connecting flyers. So we tend to not use the club as much when we depart, instead we sometimes enter an outlying club when we arrive. For the many reasons mentioned n this thread.

Policies like this are what we see more of in the business world these days. Too many Teams calls between people that don’t actually travel, guessing what they think is happening out in the world and imagining what they wish will be better.

I remember when Crown Rooms were advertised as a spot for members to hold meetings and job interviews as they travelled around the country! And when you could pick up from a little stand a printed list of Crown Room direct phone lines for every location, so you could prebook a free conference room. (The one in SLC still worked in 2019!)

But this was back when Delta, alone among the airlines, never failed to make a quarterly profit. Nowadays they are much smarter and far more focused.
worldwidedreamer and lsquare like this.

Last edited by Justin026; May 4, 2022 at 9:35 pm
Old May 4, 2022, 10:03 pm

Hey the singular experience quote from DL that someone posted upthread a bit referred to D1 passengers as being the most loyal. I find it surprising that DL considers one D1 segment as constituting loyalty while those of us who travel for business are kicked to the curb.
I doubt Delta thinks D1 pax are "most loyal"

Letting them keep arrivals access is just keeping a fairly world wide standard. My guess is they expect AA/UA to follow along for the domestic side but certainly wouldn't see airlines world wide fallow along in banning international business arrivals. JMO

edit to add, I wonder too if D1 is keeping access with the D1 coming to JFK/LAX and likely a few other hubs (ATL/SEA/DTW would be my guess for sure) That would mean hubs (and SFO) that see limited D1 wont see a ton of D1 arrivals in the SCs
Old May 4, 2022, 10:19 pm

free access based upon AMEX Plat card should require a J cabin reservation. too many cheapskates in the lounges is tacky.
lsquare and CappuccinoAddict like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
My guess is they expect AA/UA to follow along for the domestic side but certainly wouldn't see airlines world wide fallow along in banning international business arrivals.
I doubt AA will follow suit-- AA sells a lot of transcon travel, from LAX, SFO, SEA, and PHX plus some minor stations -- those passengers expect arrival Admirals Club access, and I just cannot see that disappearing because Delta did it.

The three-hour departure rule might get adopted, but not this arrival rule.

Just how crowded has it got at the SkyClubs? AA has its issues (Charlotte C-D is closed currently for renovations, being the main problem), but its lounges are otherwise all operational. Just went through five of them last week -- no waiting, lots of soup, plentiful cheap wine.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
free access based upon AMEX Plat card should require a J cabin reservation. too many cheapskates in the lounges is tacky.
when did 600+ in yearly fees become "cheapskates"? (and no I don't have a plat card)
Statman, ffI, lsquare and 5 others like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by fastflyer
I doubt AA will follow suit-- AA sells a lot of transcon travel, from LAX, SFO, SEA, and PHX plus some minor stations -- those passengers expect arrival Admirals Club access, and I just cannot see that disappearing because Delta did it.

The three-hour departure rule might get adopted, but not this arrival rule.

Just how crowded has it got at the SkyClubs? AA has its issues (Charlotte C-D is closed currently for renovations, being the main problem), but its lounges are otherwise all operational. Just went through five of them last week -- no waiting, lots of soup, plentiful cheap wine.
am I wrong that Delta isn't cutting off D1 transcon arrivals?

I would bet on United and America cutting them off other than transcon business/first
Old May 4, 2022, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
I doubt Delta thinks D1 pax are "most loyal"

edit to add, I wonder too if D1 is keeping access with the D1 coming to JFK/LAX and likely a few other hubs (ATL/SEA/DTW would be my guess for sure) That would mean hubs (and SFO) that see limited D1 wont see a ton of D1 arrivals in the SCs
D1 arrivals access at ATL and DTW is largely irrelevant since they are predominately international flights without pre-clearance and you would have to get back through security without an onward flight to get into a lounge. DL is not ending access if you have an onward connecting Skyteam flight.
PurdueFlyer, kavok and IndyHoosier like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:42 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
I don’t think that AA/UA will follow suit. They both still allow two complimentary guests for members (including memberships from credit cards).

The Amex Platinum is the only unbranded credit card that provides lounge access for a major US airline. Amex has sold a lot of Platinum cards, and the amount of club space hasn’t kept up.
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 11:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by VFR
I don’t think that AA/UA will follow suit. They both still allow two complimentary guests for members (including memberships from credit cards).

The Amex Platinum is the only unbranded credit card that provides lounge access for a major US airline. Amex has sold a lot of Platinum cards, and the amount of club space hasn’t kept up.
UA is spending money on building new clubs and renovating existing ones. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think at one point, UA and AA were both part of AMEX Plat but they bailed and DL is the only one?
unitedbusiness and volabam like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 12:13 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
As an AMEX Platinum holder, I can't shake the feeling that this is somehow my fault ...
Old May 5, 2022, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Something that I didn't see addressed was how this applies to people flying on a partner airline with Skyclub access. Do the same rules apply to them? Does the three hour rule apply at a KLM or AF lounge? A lot of people get to the airport really early on an international flight back to the US if they can't get their info into flysafe.

I have a flight in September on AF metal DTW/CDG in business class. Unless my flight time changes or my friends changes I'll be getting to the airport more than three hours before the flight time. My friend is booked on the non-stop DL DTW/CDG flight and I was going to hitch a ride to the airport with them and guest them in (they had the flight booked a couple months before mine and booked a lot of my GUC's and inventory was only available on the AF flight). Wondering if I'll have issues accessing the skyclub since it'll be more than three hours before my departure time, I know if I was in D1 that wouldn't be an issue but not sure since I'm in Busienss class on AF.
Access rules are per the airline that operates. Flying AF/KL won't be any different than flying DL metal in terms of SC access.

Originally Posted by latexlegend
For arrival access, one trick mentioned on the OMAAT comments for the article referring to this news is to book an onward ticket so you can access the SkyClub as a connecting rather than arriving passenger before cancelling within the 24-hour window. That seems awfully risky for little marginal benefit, especially if DL catches wind of it.

I understand why DL is making this change but agree it'll have little impact. I only very sparingly use arrival access for the reasons already mentioned, especially for showers after red-eyes, some quick work, or to meet someone arriving later. I have friends who use it much more. Anecdotally though, outside of large SCs such as JFK, I've noticed the SC agents react with annoyance more often these days when I access on arrival. But I'll miss saying a quick hello to my favorite SC bartenders and staff on arrival for sure.
Originally Posted by mnflyer27
Just play their game with them and book a fully refundable flight, access the club, and cancel it.
Do this couple times, no issue. Do multiple times, lose your elite status/miles and/or get sued in court for violation of CoC. (Booking flights without intent to fly)
Old May 5, 2022, 3:45 am

Programs: DL DM, FB Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
get sued in court for violation of CoC. (Booking flights without intent to fly)
Imagine Delta suing you for repeatedly cancelling your tickets in line with their cancellation policies.

And then Delta retains Amber Heard’s attorneys for the aggressive questioning

“You just booked this flight to take a dump in the Skyclub, did you not?”
“So there is no document to prove that you really had to fly to Raleigh-Durham, correct?”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.