Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (RUC) post 2/1/2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2022, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
For discussion of same-day change on an itinerary with an RUC applied, see: SDC while using Regional Upgrade Certificates (RUC) Definitive Thread

FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:
GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available) ****THIS AIRCRAFT CONFIG MAKES NO SENSE DPS IS NOT SOLD ON RUC ROUTES, MAYBE THIS IS FOR FUTURE PLANS?****
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX ****THIS AIRCRAFT CONFIG MAKES NO SENSE DPS IS NOT SOLD ON RUC ROUTES, MAYBE THIS IS FOR FUTURE PLANS?****
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

I’m not able to check-in online for a flight where RUC/GUC was applied.
The problem is most likely that your upgrade cleared but your ticket has not been re-issued. Call to request a manual re-issue of your ticket.

__________________________________________________ __

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...ve-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (RUC) post 2/1/2022

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
From reading on Flyertalk, I do think Delta could make this process a little more reassuring, and a little less like "Let's Make a Deal".
Old Apr 24, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
From what I can tell, automatic reticketing happens a small minority of the time, if at all. Are there any recent data points of someone being automatically reticketed after applying a RUC (particularly if one uses the waitlist)?
Old Apr 24, 2022, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
So, I'm not complaining...but I selected my 2022 Medallion upgrades and they came with an expiration date of 1/2024 -- shouldn't they have had a 1/2023 expiration date?
FYI - watch the expiration date on your RUCs. I had selected a set that should have had a 1/2023 expiration date, but came into my account with a 1/2024 date.

Just looked at them again and they now say 2023 (which technically is correct)
Old Apr 24, 2022, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
FYI - watch the expiration date on your RUCs. I had selected a set that should have had a 1/2023 expiration date, but came into my account with a 1/2024 date.

Just looked at them again and they now say 2023 (which technically is correct)
Also agent's can't see them in your wallet if issued 2020 or earlier. They're still valid, but won't show to agent despite showing to you.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Adelphos
From what I can tell, automatic reticketing happens a small minority of the time, if at all. Are there any recent data points of someone being automatically reticketed after applying a RUC (particularly if one uses the waitlist)?
I had 3 RUC’s restocked for a late June flight for myself and two family members (they were on a separate PNR). Reticketing occurred 1 week after we cleared.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You can't. As has been posted many time, even if it says waitlisted, it doesn't mean was done correctly.
Cmon Delta, seriously you can do better here.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:28 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
So I've read the whole thread and see my same question, but with a wide variety of different anecdotal responses. Here it is:

I'm PM, and booked BOS-LAX in late April for myself and one companion. Flag in availability (while searching 2 reservations) showed "Delta 1 available with upgrade certificate." (there was NO mention of GUC requirement) When I called in to request two RUC regional upgrades for these 2 tickets, Agent says not available for RUC but she can waitlist me for the upgrade.

I no longer have ExpertFlyer so cannot check the fare buckets, but given the flag saying D1 was available for upgrade, should I not have gotten the upgrades? I debated HUCA, but instead just kept checking to see if it might clear later.... I did get email confirmation that I'm waitlisted. And the flag stayed the same for about a week, but now has disappeared altogether as First has sold down a bit.... Would the simple answer be that Delta's presentation of Certificate upgrades is still not working correctly?
Old Apr 25, 2022, 6:32 am

Programs: Delta DM
If the first agent you get when applying the RUCs knows what he/she is doing, there wouldn't be a need for waitlisting, if the website says "available with upgrade certificate". It was on my 3rd attempt that the agent saw something was amiss and corrected it for me. She didn't reissue the ticket right away but it was good as done. I really appreciate what she did, whatever it may be.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I've had it happen before...it randomly happened on my return flight next week.... But buckle up for this shocker -- I'm within 3 days and the "queue" didn't automatically reticket me

Update: And now when I call, I'm arguing with an agent who tells me "It's been reticketed - I see it on the reservation." Meanwhile the receipt isn't in the right class and the coupon isn't marked as used. Cmon DL

Last edited by FlyAO2; Apr 25, 2022 at 9:18 am
Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by pfbloom
I did get email confirmation that I'm waitlisted.
big news if true! Any details you can share about that email? Was it immediate after getting added to the waitlist?
Old Apr 25, 2022, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by OPAcolt
big news if true! Any details you can share about that email? Was it immediate after getting added to the waitlist?
Email confirming RUC "waitlist" came immediately after phone call. It was a little opaque, did not say waitlist anywhere, but showed change from (S) to (O) and then showed current seat assignment, plus an "Unassigned" seat which I presumed to be the potential upgrade....

The agent I talked to seemed fairly knowledgeable, which kinda discouraged me from HUAC, though I still think she maybe was wrong because the flag in reservations did say "Delta1 available with upgrade" when I checked availability for two passengers. Kinda ticked that I did not pursue this more agressively at the time.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Email confirming RUC "waitlist" came immediately after phone call. It was a little opaque, did not say waitlist anywhere, but showed change from (S) to (O) and then showed current seat assignment, plus an "Unassigned" seat which I presumed to be the potential upgrade....

The agent I talked to seemed fairly knowledgeable, which kinda discouraged me from HUAC, though I still think she maybe was wrong because the flag in reservations did say "Delta1 available with upgrade" when I checked availability for two passengers. Kinda ticked that I did not pursue this more agressively at the time.
The waitlist is an optional step. It appearing doesn't mean anything has been done correctly. It just means agent went to extra step of adding the extra seatmap. For example,, if cert number is incorrectly entered, you will not clear despite showing the waitlist.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The waitlist is an optional step. It appearing doesn't mean anything has been done correctly. It just means agent went to extra step of adding the extra seatmap. For example,, if cert number is incorrectly entered, you will not clear despite showing the waitlist.
So how does one confirm that they actually are on a waitlist for applying RUCs ?? It doesn't show anywhere in the reservation (just complimentary upgrade requested). While I did call in recently and an agent told me that the RUC upgrade request was there, now I doubt this RUC is going to process (we're down to F0 for the moment), or that it will clear by itself, and so on. Too bad, as earlier on I think that HUCA/badgering mode might have worked to get the upgrade when it was still showing available.

After years of flying Delta as a PM, this is the first time I've taken the RUC as a bonus - kinda having mixed feeling about the process and the benefits; though with the decline of complimentary upgrades, it may be the only way to go for the future.

Last edited by pfbloom; Apr 27, 2022 at 12:27 pm
Old Apr 29, 2022, 5:37 am

So how does one confirm that they actually are on a waitlist for applying RUCs ??
you really can't confirm it yourself. the best you can do is call in and ask an agent to check it, but if they aren't sure what they're looking for they may miss it and think you're all set when something is actually incorrect.

Great system, eh?
flyerCO likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 5:48 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
you really can't confirm it yourself. the best you can do is call in and ask an agent to check it, but if they aren't sure what they're looking for they may miss it and think you're all set when something is actually incorrect.

Great system, eh?
I made some progress on the issue of being waitlisted for an RUC but not seeing any "proof" when I switched the dates for my trip. The agent deleted the complimentary upgrade and now the reservation shows as upgrade waitlisted.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gh_traveler
I made some progress on the issue of being waitlisted for an RUC but not seeing any "proof" when I switched the dates for my trip. The agent deleted the complimentary upgrade and now the reservation shows as upgrade waitlisted.
Which sadly proves nothing with DL system. If they entered certificate number or redemption code incorrectly (can be as simple as putting an extra space at end of the number), entered the code for a GUC instead of a RUC (or v.v.), etc.... you'll still show waitlisted, but will never clear.

Only real benefit is every now and then, agents will accidentally upgrade you (when space is immediately available) and not pull a certificate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.