Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta cuts Westin bedding -- moving to "eco friendly" options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers

Delta ending their Westin partnership in favor of pillows and blankets made from recyclable material, via TPG.

I am confident that DL isn't just greenwashing a move to cheaper (and less comfortable) bedding.
M60_to_LGA and becks1 like this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 4:00 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Delta ending their Westin partnership in favor of pillows and blankets made from recyclable material, via TPG.

I am confident that DL isn't just greenwashing a move to cheaper (and less comfortable) bedding.
god what a joke. a "premium" experience doesn't start with bedding labeled as "recycled". Gross.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 4:19 pm

I like this idea. It can be as comfortable as the current bedding—we don’t know yet. I appreciate knowing that the company is taking environmental issues into consideration. I’m sure economics are also part of the equation. So what? We can judge when they release the new bedding.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FabCW
I like this idea. It can be as comfortable as the current bedding—we don’t know yet. I appreciate knowing that the company is taking environmental issues into consideration. I’m sure economics are also part of the equation. So what? We can judge when they release the new bedding.
I agree that it could end up being just as comfortable, or even moreso -- but it seems like that would be mere happenstance, as neither comfort nor eco-consciousness are likely the primary motivators.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Delta ending their Westin partnership in favor of pillows and blankets made from recyclable material...
The writing was on the wall for this one, when Marriott acquired Starwood. What remained was just a fiber of prior arrangements.

With Westin bedding gone inflight, is SkyClub getting recycled towels for SkyClub too when shower reopen?

(PS- When I traveled to WAW (warsaw), the towel I got was a body sized single-use paper towel. Not luxurious but adequate for the task)

Jiburi
Old Dec 6, 2021, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiburi
What remained was just a fiber of prior arrangements.
Well, the fiber will now be repurposed to boot
smartytravel likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold
thanks for the story but can we stop sending cash to TPG? can we just post the full text of the article here instead?
Old Dec 6, 2021, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Appears that Delta is recycling all of the plastic cups/water bottles used during the pandemic for the new pillows/duvets, as per the article "going forward, Delta is phasing in a new bedding product made from eco-friendly materials that utilize more than 100 recycled plastic bottles for each set."
dw and smartytravel like this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DrMilano
Appears that Delta is recycling all of the plastic cups/water bottles used during the pandemic for the new pillows/duvets, as per the article "going forward, Delta is phasing in a new bedding product made from eco-friendly materials that utilize more than 100 recycled plastic bottles for each set."
DL saved all those plastic cups for close to two years? What about the energy to use those waste warehouses? Also, I hope the items were washed or at least rinsed at the time as I do not want (dead or alive, whole or otherwise) cockroaches in my bedding.
smartytravel likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by gitismatty
thanks for the story but can we stop sending cash to TPG? can we just post the full text of the article here instead?
General best practice is to post a few lines and then a link. Stealing someone else's writing is...stealing.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 7:43 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
god what a joke. a "premium" experience doesn't start with bedding labeled as "recycled". Gross.
I do not think you have any idea of how recycled materials are used.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gitismatty
Ever heard of copyright? FT would be paying out much more to TPG than any minimal amount TPG earns from links.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 8:22 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
General best practice is to post a few lines and then a link. Stealing someone else's writing is...stealing.
​​​​
My general best practice is to find a different source to cite on FT
ijgordon, audio-nut, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 12:05 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Got the new D1 pillow and duvet set today..pillow is white with navy trim, while the duvet is gray with navy trim. Both are packed in a cloth bag also made from recycled materials…They were both fine..duvet is a bit lighter and softer than the thick Westin one (when the Westin one is brand new).

Pillow and duvet come in this bag
Hoyaheel, hi55us, OhDoctor and 1 others like this.

Last edited by ClipperDelta; Dec 7, 2021 at 12:10 am
Old Dec 7, 2021, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Good to hear! Now the only question is how they hold up over time.
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.