Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta cuts Westin bedding -- moving to "eco friendly" options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta cuts Westin bedding -- moving to "eco friendly" options

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2021, 6:01 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Great they're not packed in plastic. I look forward to trying them on my TATL flight today.
wrp96, OhDoctor and Skicruiser58 like this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 8:07 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by Gig103
​​​​
My general best practice is to find a different source to cite on FT
Finest? Just wait for The Onion staff, to add a new slide to this existing Slide show.....

The Onion
Jiburi
DiverDave likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'd be curious as to the overall energy footprint of these 'recycled' materials vs the 'real' previous thing. Often times people and companies just push all this green/recycled crap without even thinking about how much energy it uses to repurpose and recycle these materials into something else. This can easily result in more waste and carbon output by all of the collection, transport, reprocessing etc than just making a new doodad from scratch.
dw, 1P and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
United --> Saks Fifth Avenue bedding
AA --> Casper Bedding
JetBlue --> Tuft and Needle

Delta --> ATL recycling bin
dw, jakeller, ilovemiles and 13 others like this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 9:34 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I do not think you have any idea of how recycled materials are used.
I *DO* in fact. My point, if you read carefully, is that a premium product doesn't start with something off-brand and LABELED as recycled. I am fully aware products are recycled all the time. But how does it look when AA/UA still provide BRANDED products? Recycled also still implies "not new", even if that is not true. Delta is cutting premium branding to save money. That's all this is.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 9:55 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
United --> Saks Fifth Avenue bedding
AA --> Casper Bedding
JetBlue --> Tuft and Needle

Delta --> ATL recycling bin
Is COZ-Z-Z, their branding attempt to replicating Westin's Heavenly Bedding? With "SKY" being their branding of choice, I would have thought concept of fluffy cloud, "Cumulus" Sky Bedding would be a better idea...... Just pondering.....

Jiburi
Old Dec 7, 2021, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by FabCW
I like this idea. It can be as comfortable as the current bedding—we don’t know yet. I appreciate knowing that the company is taking environmental issues into consideration. I’m sure economics are also part of the equation. So what? We can judge when they release the new bedding.

You expect posters on here to hold judgment till they ask experience the bedding . I think that’s fantasy land
wrp96 and CalebMCO like this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 10:57 am

Programs: Delta, JetBlue, Marriott
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
I *DO* in fact. My point, if you read carefully, is that a premium product doesn't start with something off-brand and LABELED as recycled. I am fully aware products are recycled all the time. But how does it look when AA/UA still provide BRANDED products? Recycled also still implies "not new", even if that is not true. Delta is cutting premium branding to save money. That's all this is.
Branding doesn't necessarily equal comfort. Also, it amazes me the amount of plastic wasted in ten minutes when business class customers are unwrapping their bedding.

If DL has found a way to recycle and create a comfortable pillow and duvet, I'll take that any day over a "label".
Old Dec 7, 2021, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by EBiafore99
Branding doesn't necessarily equal comfort. Also, it amazes me the amount of plastic wasted in ten minutes when business class customers are unwrapping their bedding.

If DL has found a way to recycle and create a comfortable pillow and duvet, I'll take that any day over a "label".
This. Casper and Tuft & Needle, for example, have spent boatloads of money on advertising and branding, even though they are both selling similar cheap memory foam mattresses that I doubt will last more than a few years.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

Going to a recycled material for the bedding/blanket/pillow doesn't bother me if it's actually comfortable, but I hope or wish the bedding/blanket comes wrapped in something (even if it's not one-time use plastic) because I'd prefer it be wrapped/stored in something until I'm ready to use it so I can store it and know it's not getting dirt and bacteria and whatever else on it from surface contact before I use it. Whether it's stored in an overhead bin or on the floor, either way your blanket, bedding, and pillow are being stored on a surface that is not cleaned and is quite nasty from everything else that touches it. Think about how much nasty stuff the wheels on your roll-aboard/bag and everyone else's run through and encounter in an airport terminal. Then realize that your and how many other roll-aboards and bags have been in that bin, touching the surfaces of the overhead your blanket/bedding/pillow are now touching before you use it.

Can someone confirm if the bedding is at least wrapped in something when it's originally put out on the seats before boarding?
Old Dec 7, 2021, 12:25 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
The truth is, all of these airline bedding and amenity kit collaborations have resulted in onboard items that have very little to do with the products the respective brands actually sell- it’s just an opportunity for some cross marketing.

But what I am perhaps most surprised at is that the Delta of the last decade or so has always been the leader in marketing among the US3- and my personal observations have been that, as a result, flyers who are less in the know have often been led to think that the DL product is a lot better than what is actually delivered. So I am curious why DL didn’t decide to strike a cross marketing relationship with a different company once the Westin one was ending.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 1:29 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Good to know all the plastic cups from us Y folks in the back of the plane are being put to good use up in front now

I'm sort of surprised the Westin agreement lasted so long after the Marriott purchase of SPG (which effectively ended the Delta/SPG points & status crossover benefits several years ago).
Old Dec 7, 2021, 2:28 pm

Programs: Delta
See previous post (with photos).
Old Dec 7, 2021, 3:27 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by FabCW
I like this idea. It can be as comfortable as the current bedding—we don’t know yet. I appreciate knowing that the company is taking environmental issues into consideration. I’m sure economics are also part of the equation. So what? We can judge when they release the new bedding.
If it was all about being environmental than according to out global warming folks they should stop flying
Old Dec 7, 2021, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
But did the real question is did the Mayo Clinic give this new pillow the stamp of approval?
dw, hi55us and truncated like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.