FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta cuts Westin bedding -- moving to "eco friendly" options (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2061231-delta-cuts-westin-bedding-moving-eco-friendly-options.html)

OhDoctor Dec 6, 2021 3:59 pm

Delta cuts Westin bedding -- moving to "eco friendly" options

Delta ending their Westin partnership in favor of pillows and blankets made from recyclable material, via TPG.

I am confident that DL isn't just greenwashing a move to cheaper (and less comfortable) bedding.

Pianoman109876 Dec 6, 2021 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by OhDoctor (Post 33790543)
Delta ending their Westin partnership in favor of pillows and blankets made from recyclable material, via TPG.

I am confident that DL isn't just greenwashing a move to cheaper (and less comfortable) bedding.

god what a joke. a "premium" experience doesn't start with bedding labeled as "recycled". Gross.

FabCW Dec 6, 2021 4:19 pm

I like this idea. It can be as comfortable as the current bedding—we don’t know yet. I appreciate knowing that the company is taking environmental issues into consideration. I’m sure economics are also part of the equation. So what? We can judge when they release the new bedding.

OhDoctor Dec 6, 2021 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by FabCW (Post 33790604)
I like this idea. It can be as comfortable as the current bedding—we don’t know yet. I appreciate knowing that the company is taking environmental issues into consideration. I’m sure economics are also part of the equation. So what? We can judge when they release the new bedding.

I agree that it could end up being just as comfortable, or even moreso -- but it seems like that would be mere happenstance, as neither comfort nor eco-consciousness are likely the primary motivators.

jiburi Dec 6, 2021 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by OhDoctor (Post 33790543)
Delta ending their Westin partnership in favor of pillows and blankets made from recyclable material...

The writing was on the wall for this one, when Marriott acquired Starwood. What remained was just a fiber of prior arrangements.

With Westin bedding gone inflight, is SkyClub getting recycled towels for SkyClub too when shower reopen? :p

(PS- When I traveled to WAW (warsaw), the towel I got was a body sized single-use paper towel. Not luxurious but adequate for the task)

Jiburi

OhDoctor Dec 6, 2021 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by jiburi (Post 33790728)
What remained was just a fiber of prior arrangements.

Well, the fiber will now be repurposed to boot :)

gitismatty Dec 6, 2021 6:44 pm

thanks for the story but can we stop sending cash to TPG? can we just post the full text of the article here instead?

DrMilano Dec 6, 2021 7:11 pm

Appears that Delta is recycling all of the plastic cups/water bottles used during the pandemic for the new pillows/duvets, as per the article "going forward, Delta is phasing in a new bedding product made from eco-friendly materials that utilize more than 100 recycled plastic bottles for each set."

MSPeconomist Dec 6, 2021 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by DrMilano (Post 33791038)
Appears that Delta is recycling all of the plastic cups/water bottles used during the pandemic for the new pillows/duvets, as per the article "going forward, Delta is phasing in a new bedding product made from eco-friendly materials that utilize more than 100 recycled plastic bottles for each set."

DL saved all those plastic cups for close to two years? What about the energy to use those waste warehouses? Also, I hope the items were washed or at least rinsed at the time as I do not want (dead or alive, whole or otherwise) cockroaches in my bedding.

DLASflyer Dec 6, 2021 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by gitismatty (Post 33790982)
thanks for the story but can we stop sending cash to TPG? can we just post the full text of the article here instead?

General best practice is to post a few lines and then a link. Stealing someone else's writing is...stealing.

FlyingUnderTheRadar Dec 6, 2021 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Pianoman109876 (Post 33790549)
god what a joke. a "premium" experience doesn't start with bedding labeled as "recycled". Gross.

I do not think you have any idea of how recycled materials are used.

flyerCO Dec 6, 2021 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by gitismatty (Post 33790982)

Ever heard of copyright? FT would be paying out much more to TPG than any minimal amount TPG earns from links.

Gig103 Dec 6, 2021 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by DLASflyer (Post 33791051)
General best practice is to post a few lines and then a link. Stealing someone else's writing is...stealing.

​​​​
My general best practice is to find a different source to cite on FT :)

ClipperDelta Dec 7, 2021 12:05 am

Got the new D1 pillow and duvet set today..pillow is white with navy trim, while the duvet is gray with navy trim. Both are packed in a cloth bag also made from recycled materials…They were both fine..duvet is a bit lighter and softer than the thick Westin one (when the Westin one is brand new).

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...649c4c53f.jpeg
Pillow and duvet come in this bag
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...6d05c9fb7.jpeg

OhDoctor Dec 7, 2021 5:58 am

Good to hear! Now the only question is how they hold up over time.