Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Wifi?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2021, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ringer909
And the $5 wifi is actually usable. Usually pre-Covid if I paid the $29.95 for the no-go wifi it would take half the flight just to send an email.

That being said isn’t there some connection between Gogo and Viasat? I thought I saw footprints leading to a gogo site on one of the web redirects when connecting. Despite that, it actually worked pretty good.
I have an older Gogo international monthly plan, and my gogo login works just fine with viastat. So to your point they are connected somehow
Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:28 pm

Programs: Independent
Identify WiFi before flight?

Is anyone aware of a way to identify the provider before takeoff so you can pre purchase the cheaper prepaid gogo via cellular? My theory is the WiFi logo with/without lightning.

(Maybe connecting to the network before takeoff but I didn’t think of that on my most recent flight - I had to buy 30 minutes then a discounted pass via my VPN to save… very little.)
Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by hkcj
Is anyone aware of a way to identify the provider before takeoff so you can pre purchase the cheaper prepaid gogo via cellular? My theory is the WiFi logo with/without lightning.

(Maybe connecting to the network before takeoff but I didn’t think of that on my most recent flight - I had to buy 30 minutes then a discounted pass via my VPN to save… very little.)
The lightning icon can indicate either GoGo 2ku or Viasat so not particularly helpful. The best indication is fleet type. A321s and 739s are always Viasat, 757s are a mix and the rest are usually GoGo.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
The lightning icon can indicate either GoGo 2ku or Viasat so not particularly helpful. The best indication is fleet type. A321s and 739s are always Viasat, 757s are a mix and the rest are usually GoGo.
Thanks - I guess next time I just have to test it before takeoff if possible when I'm on a 757.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Folks, we have free WiFi on my flight. I flew on Delta on this last Monday. You can used free iMessage and WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger, too. Free of charge.

And also, KLM have free WiFi, too. You can used free WhatsApp or iMessage, too. I flew on KLM. Only 1 hour.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 12:43 pm

As you enter the plane, look to the decals (usually to the right) on the fuselage. If Viasat is onboard, one will read, "Delta Wi-Fi Faster Streaming Awaits" accompanied by the Viasat logo. This article has a picture of it. https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...internet-test/
Old Mar 11, 2022, 10:39 pm

Viasat ships have the Wifi placarded on the exterior underneath the awards decal next to the entry door (new faster wifi or something like that) gogo ships do not have wifi placarded on the exterior of the plane. Hope that helps!
Old Mar 14, 2022, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Auston
As you enter the plane, look to the decals (usually to the right) on the fuselage. If Viasat is onboard, one will read, "Delta Wi-Fi Faster Streaming Awaits" accompanied by the Viasat logo. This article has a picture of it. https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...internet-test/
Originally Posted by Flyer0889
Viasat ships have the Wifi placarded on the exterior underneath the awards decal next to the entry door (new faster wifi or something like that) gogo ships do not have wifi placarded on the exterior of the plane. Hope that helps!
Thanks both!
Old May 19, 2022, 1:03 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Flying LAX-SLC-AMS next week. In the Before Times one could buy a "Global Day Pass" -- good on DOM and INTL flights, and it was cheaper if you bought it in advance.

Now, when I sign on to the Gogo website the only "Global" option I see is a monthly pass. My return is a couple weeks after the outbound so I guess I could buy and cancel the monthly pass -- is that the best option these days? The overwater legs are both 330-900neo so that should be GoGo, the domestic legs are 321 outbound and 737-900ER return so that could be either.

I hate being a newbie again after 2+ years on the bench
fsuj25 likes this.
Old May 19, 2022, 1:46 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles | Platinum
Is anyone aware of a way to identify the provider before takeoff so you can pre purchase the cheaper prepaid gogo via cellular?
Here's an article from Delta with the actual decal and wording to look out for upon boarding. (321 and 739 mostly)
https://news.delta.com/faster-and-mo...ng-wi-fi-delta
Old May 19, 2022, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Flying LAX-SLC-AMS next week. In the Before Times one could buy a "Global Day Pass" -- good on DOM and INTL flights, and it was cheaper if you bought it in advance.

Now, when I sign on to the Gogo website the only "Global" option I see is a monthly pass. My return is a couple weeks after the outbound so I guess I could buy and cancel the monthly pass -- is that the best option these days? The overwater legs are both 330-900neo so that should be GoGo, the domestic legs are 321 outbound and 737-900ER return so that could be either.

I hate being a newbie again after 2+ years on the bench
The A339 has better WiFi (at least the newest ones) than any other widebody. Just flew DL56 and DL220 on A339s with new WiFi. Video played without issue.
Old May 20, 2022, 9:57 am

Is Internet service in the air still cellular-based or is Viasat true to its name? What is the status of WiFi on TATL flights these days?
Old May 20, 2022, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The A339 has better WiFi (at least the newest ones) than any other widebody. Just flew DL56 and DL220 on A339s with new WiFi. Video played without issue.
Just got an email from Delta about my Monday flight...

In-Flight Wi-Fi May Not Be Available On Your Airbus 339 Flight

So I guess I will hold off buying anything until on the plane...
Old May 20, 2022, 8:55 pm

Does anyone know? If you purchase a one day international pass, how does that work when you are on a TATL flight? Is it is 24 actual hours? Or something else?
Old May 21, 2022, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by missionpa
Does anyone know? If you purchase a one day international pass, how does that work when you are on a TATL flight? Is it is 24 actual hours? Or something else?
In the Before Times that was true -- I often bought the one day Global Pass. I would assume it would still be true but I'm learning new things everyday that "used to be true..."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.