Delta Wifi?

Old May 22, 2022, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by jrmoore
Is Internet service in the air still cellular-based or is Viasat true to its name? What is the status of WiFi on TATL flights these days?
It was my understanding that satellite-based WiFI services have been the standard for quite some time now. Cellular towers do not have the power, range, or coverage to be able to be competitive with satellite-based offerings, and certainly not for flights over the Atlantic or Pacific. The only Delta aircraft still using air-to-ground connections according to this page their regional jets, with all others offering Gogo Ku/2Ku or Viasat, which are satellite-based.

As for whether TATL flights use Gogo or Viasat, all widebodies only have Gogo connections as Viasat currently doesn't have sufficient international coverage to be used on those aircraft. Therefore, only domestic aircraft are currently being enabled for Viasat and if you're curious about which version of Gogo WiFi a TATL flight will have, the list of Ku vs 2Ku aircraft is on the page I linked above.
Old May 22, 2022, 7:33 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
In my case it did not code as Delta.
Actually, this has recently changed, as on my last flight on May 17-18 it did code as Delta. My previous flight in January it did not code as Delta.
Old May 22, 2022, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Flying LAX-SLC-AMS next week. In the Before Times one could buy a "Global Day Pass" -- good on DOM and INTL flights, and it was cheaper if you bought it in advance.

Now, when I sign on to the Gogo website the only "Global" option I see is a monthly pass. My return is a couple weeks after the outbound so I guess I could buy and cancel the monthly pass -- is that the best option these days? The overwater legs are both 330-900neo so that should be GoGo, the domestic legs are 321 outbound and 737-900ER return so that could be either.

I hate being a newbie again after 2+ years on the bench
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The A339 has better WiFi (at least the newest ones) than any other widebody. Just flew DL56 and DL220 on A339s with new WiFi. Video played without issue.
I'll be on that plane as well, and I wonder how much it is to buy wifi onboard? When checking online, I only see an option to buy a monthly pass.
Old May 22, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: DL DM
Just flew 757-200 MSP/SEA. Had Gogo. Initially only offered a one day pass for something like $49.00. Once in the air you could get a 30 minute pass for $6.95 or a pass for the entire flight for about $29.95. Since Gogo is so slow and isn’t worth much more than checking email, I opted to pass. Not worth the agrivation.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:15 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Reporting back: SLC-AMS was $29 (could have been $28) for the flight. AMC-MSP was $22. These were both on 339 and it seemed snappy but I occasional problems with GoGo wanting me to sign in again.

On the outbound I asked about the "You may not have WiFi on your flight" message and was told that 4 new 339s had not yet had WiFi installed (activated?) This was a couple of weeks ago so that may have changed...
Old Jun 14, 2022, 4:25 pm

I'm flying DL316 SFO-JFK (767-300ER.) I'm confused about my wifi options -- looks like it will be gogo? But when I go to the gogo website, DL isn't listed as a participating airline for the advance day passes. Hmmm. Reading this thread, it appears some people have bought reduced cost day passes via phone after boarding -- is this likely to be an option? I'd appreciate any guidance. TIA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.