Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2022, 8:33 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
You can not get your DL status added to your AF profile, but you can get your Delta FF number added to a paid AF ticket and THAT will get you Elite plus benefits - minor as they may be since you are already in business class
Originally Posted by cemlaw
I've been trying to figure this out for 2 years and am ashamed to have to admit defeat and ask here...
I have Delta Platinum status, which give me SkyTeam Elite Plus status.
I booked a trip through Air France, both legs are flown by Air France. Will I enjoy any benefits from my Elite+ status, and if so, how do I get this added to my Air France profile? I've looked everywhere on my profile and ticket and googled, and just can't get a clear answer.
It's DUB-CDG-JFK, business class.
cemlaw likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Delta Platinum, ST Elite+
Originally Posted by ffI
You can not get your DL status added to your AF profile, but you can get your Delta FF number added to a paid AF ticket and THAT will get you Elite plus benefits - minor as they may be since you are already in business class
Thanks! That's what I was wondering- would there be anything different/better than what I'd get anyway as a business flyer?
And I guess I would have to contact AF to add my FF number, since I still can't find anywhere to add it on my profile. I have to manually enter my AF flights on delta to get the miles.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 11:23 pm

Programs: FB Silver, TK Elite/*G, ITA Premium, Hilton Gold; BW Diamond Select; Radisson Premium
Thanks! That's what I was wondering- would there be anything different/better than what I'd get anyway as a business flyer?
And I guess I would have to contact AF to add my FF number, since I still can't find anywhere to add it on my profile. I have to manually enter my AF flights on delta to get the miles.
You can add your SkyTeam status other than Flying Blue via AirFrance website (Manage Booking) as if you are editing your booking in their app on your phone, they will force your Flying Blue FF number on your reservation several times (even at check-in via app) and remove your Delta FF number. Perks are not in question as you won't get any additional; the real question here is to which program do you wish your "status miles" and "award miles" to get credited to. If that is Delta's program, then you have to make sure, that your boarding pass will state your Delta FF number.
cemlaw likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MitjaPod
You can add your SkyTeam status other than Flying Blue via AirFrance website (Manage Booking) as if you are editing your booking in their app on your phone, they will force your Flying Blue FF number on your reservation several times (even at check-in via app) and remove your Delta FF number. Perks are not in question as you won't get any additional; the real question here is to which program do you wish your "status miles" and "award miles" to get credited to. If that is Delta's program, then you have to make sure, that your boarding pass will state your Delta FF number.
In fact, if you want to credit to DL, it's better to avoid ever looking at your PNR while logged into your FB account as it tends to overwrite the FF number to the FB one in a way that sticks.
ffI, cemlaw and MitjaPod like this.
Old May 1, 2022, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I see availability in Y for the August Bank Holiday LON-LAX-SAN (98k miles and £312). However, I won't know if I can book the days off work until closer the time.

What happens if I book but have to backout? Can i redeposit the miles and get the fees refunded?
Old May 1, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I see availability in Y for the August Bank Holiday LON-LAX-SAN (98k miles and £312). However, I won't know if I can book the days off work until closer the time.

What happens if I book but have to backout? Can i redeposit the miles and get the fees refunded?
Yes
Old May 1, 2022, 7:57 am

I am flying Delta in June for the first time in a long time. (Have accrued all sorts of Southwest points over the years) My question is about how the Amex Gold Card checked bag benefit actually works. So i have two legs of a flight with my family using Delta miles and will definitely have at least 2 checked bags. It appears that would be $140 (30+40 x 2) which is more than the $99 annual fee. Question is do they actually run the card, do you just show it to them, or is there some other process I am not aware of? The reason I ask is my annual fee just came up and I have no use for the card as the earnings rate is awful even if I wanted to fly Delta. Will Amex prorate the annual fee if I cancel in July?
Old May 1, 2022, 9:40 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by panerd
I am flying Delta in June for the first time in a long time. (Have accrued all sorts of Southwest points over the years) My question is about how the Amex Gold Card checked bag benefit actually works. So i have two legs of a flight with my family using Delta miles and will definitely have at least 2 checked bags. It appears that would be $140 (30+40 x 2) which is more than the $99 annual fee. Question is do they actually run the card, do you just show it to them, or is there some other process I am not aware of? The reason I ask is my annual fee just came up and I have no use for the card as the earnings rate is awful even if I wanted to fly Delta. Will Amex prorate the annual fee if I cancel in July?
Basically, the Amex checked bag benefit applies to up to 9 people traveling together - each traveler gets their first checked bag free. Best to check bags at baggage check-in together. Benefit applies automatically based on the SkyMiles number associated with your reservation.

If your situation is more complex, please explain more - your reference to "legs" of the journey made me suspect you and your companions are not originating travel at the same airport but that was unclear.
Old May 1, 2022, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp
Basically, the Amex checked bag benefit applies to up to 9 people traveling together - each traveler gets their first checked bag free. Best to check bags at baggage check-in together. Benefit applies automatically based on the SkyMiles number associated with your reservation.

If your situation is more complex, please explain more - your reference to "legs" of the journey made me suspect you and your companions are not originating travel at the same airport but that was unclear.
Yeah I guess I meant two parts of a trip which would involve checking bags twice. It's just my family but my wife will likely have 2 large bags and possibly 3! So since there are 5 of us we are clear on the check bag rule I assume.

So would my skymiles # know I had just cancelled the card? I guess that is the ultimate question here. I would think I would still have a skymiles number even after closing the Amex card.
Old May 1, 2022, 3:25 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yeah I guess I meant two parts of a trip which would involve checking bags twice. It's just my family but my wife will likely have 2 large bags and possibly 3! So since there are 5 of us we are clear on the check bag rule I assume.

So would my skymiles # know I had just cancelled the card? I guess that is the ultimate question here. I would think I would still have a skymiles number even after closing the Amex card.
My guess would be yes. IIRC there have been reports of cancelled Reserve cards failing to work for SkyClub access almost immediately.
ffI likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 4:24 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
https://wwws.airfrance.us/trip
find the booking and in traveler info enter your DL number - NOT in your AF profile!
cemlaw likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Yes. Keep the card until after you complete the trip to get the free checked bag benefit.
Old May 1, 2022, 6:35 pm
ffI

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My guess would be yes. IIRC there have been reports of cancelled Reserve cards failing to work for SkyClub access almost immediately.
The DL Amex linkage is very strong - and I think you do not need to show the card - but I suggest to always carry it if you want a benefit from it.
I am not clear if the ticket has to be paid by the card.

In the case of AA and Barclays - the ticket has to be paid by the card to work (and in my experience the primary card holder has to be traveling)
I may have got a bad AAgent but while I paid for the award ticket fees for my mother in law with my Barclays card (as an AU) they still insisted on her paying for bags - but that was a couple of years ago prepandemic
Old May 1, 2022, 9:15 pm

AFAIK to get the fhe free bag (and also for traveling companions) DL needs to recognize a qualifying DL AmEx card associated with your FF account. It doesn't matter how you paid for the tickets.
mnbp likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, AA Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
I just earned my first card spend bonus 15k MQMs for the year. With carry over MQMs I will probably reach Diamond MQM qualifier organically and will not get anywhere near the required CC spend for the Diamond spend qualifier. Is it against TOS for either FT or DL to sell my bonus MQMs that I also have the option to gift? If this is something done, what is the approximate market value for 15k MQM?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.