FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread
Old May 1, 2022, 2:37 pm
panerd

Originally Posted by mnbp
Basically, the Amex checked bag benefit applies to up to 9 people traveling together - each traveler gets their first checked bag free. Best to check bags at baggage check-in together. Benefit applies automatically based on the SkyMiles number associated with your reservation.

If your situation is more complex, please explain more - your reference to "legs" of the journey made me suspect you and your companions are not originating travel at the same airport but that was unclear.
Yeah I guess I meant two parts of a trip which would involve checking bags twice. It's just my family but my wife will likely have 2 large bags and possibly 3! So since there are 5 of us we are clear on the check bag rule I assume.

So would my skymiles # know I had just cancelled the card? I guess that is the ultimate question here. I would think I would still have a skymiles number even after closing the Amex card.