Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost wedding ring

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2021, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Xeno
For future reference, going to the 'warehouse' means your item has been sent to Alabama. I remember seeing that store when I lived in AL some years ago. I did have to provide a photo of the ring to prove that it belonged to me which was expected and a good safeguard for all concerned. In like manner, I had to confirm that the photo they sent to me was in fact my property.
Great news!

I was getting ready to offer to drive to Scottsboro and buy it back for you.

David
Xeno, NotHamSarnie and Zorak like this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Great news!

I was getting ready to offer to drive to Scottsboro and buy it back for you.

David
Ha, ha! And you have me believing you would actually do this!
Old Oct 12, 2021, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I can report that the ring is scheduled to be returned to me this week. I got urgent calls and emails from DL L&F and others today. This was on the heels of another routine auto-reply from 30 minutes earlier saying the ring could not be located.
If I understand today's response, the difference here was sending an email to Ed that was copied to the top two persons in CS.

For future reference, going to the 'warehouse' means your item has been sent to Alabama. I remember seeing that store when I lived in AL some years ago. I did have to provide a photo of the ring to prove that it belonged to me which was expected and a good safeguard for all concerned. In like manner, I had to confirm that the photo they sent to me was in fact my property.
< big sigh of relief for Xeno >
Xeno, flyerCO, SuperG1955 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jrl767
< big sigh of relief for Xeno >
Agree. I was starting to wonder if Xeno should've just stayed at the Vatican. Those underground catacombs are maze like and perfect place to hide. Added bonus, if wife found him the body could be left in place.
Xeno, pbjag, DiverDave and 2 others like this.

Last edited by flyerCO; Oct 12, 2021 at 5:55 pm
Old Oct 12, 2021, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Ha, ha! And you have me believing you would actually do this!
In years past, I would visit the UBC several times a year. Back in those days it was like an indoors yard sale, and they had events like scuba and ski sales. Folks would travel hundreds of miles for some of the events. For the scuba sale, folks would line up starting around an hour before opening. When the doors opened, the mob streamed into the store. I finally learned the trick was just to blindly grab stuff, then go sit down somewhere and throw back what I didn't want. Or offer swapsies with other customers. It was fun.

These days it is much more of an upscale thrift store with (sadly) very upscale prices. Though I am not sure where they get their goods, as I expect with modern baggage tracking systems that the amount of "unclaimed" baggage has swooned.

When all is said and done, perhaps you can find it in you (this will be hard) to reach out to Delta and thank those by name who helped to return your ring. Maybe they will get some kudos. Since you did invoke the ghost of Ed Bastian, perhaps just a snail mail letter to his office would do the trick.

Congrats!

David
Old Oct 12, 2021, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

In years past, I would visit the UBC several times a year. Back in those days it was like an indoors yard sale, and they had events like scuba and ski sales. Folks would travel hundreds of miles for some of the events. For the scuba sale, folks would line up starting around an hour before opening. When the doors opened, the mob streamed into the store. I finally learned the trick was just to blindly grab stuff, then go sit down somewhere and throw back what I didn't want. Or offer swapsies with other customers. It was fun.

These days it is much more of an upscale thrift store with (sadly) very upscale prices. Though I am not sure where they get their goods, as I expect with modern baggage tracking systems that the amount of "unclaimed" baggage has swooned.

When all is said and done, perhaps you can find it in you (this will be hard) to reach out to Delta and thank those by name who helped to return your ring. Maybe they will get some kudos. Since you did invoke the ghost of Ed Bastian, perhaps just a snail mail letter to his office would do the trick.

Congrats!

David
I think I only made it there one time and did not find a reason to return.
I have expressed appreciation to those in the line who did the right thing. One of them today, however, was kind of yelling at me because the executive suite called them.
One thing that will stay with me, however. Is that all my calls from Rome, all the forms I filled out did nothing. All of those auto-replies that we are sorry we cannot find your item but please know we are looking meant nothing. It did not matter how many times I updated the form, they would not accept a phone call.
Had I not found an agent in the E SC willing to place a call to a non-public number that elicited a response like "Oh gee, I saw that yesterday but I sent it on its way to AL!" then the ending would have been very different. The 'yelling' person today wanted me to name names of who told me that they had my ring and sent it off to the 'warehouse'.
So there is part of me that is still angry that the system did not work as it should and I had to appeal to DL CEO to resolve a simple case. I know they have a huge inventory in L&F, but I am confident few among them are wedding rings. And remember, the ring is not yet back on my finger.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Yeah, I wouldn't count my chickens quite yet. They could still screw this up.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 2:43 pm

So there is part of me that is still angry that the system did not work as it should and I had to appeal to DL CEO to resolve a simple case. I know they have a huge inventory in L&F, but I am confident few among them are wedding rings. And remember, the ring is not yet back on my finger.
Good points, and plainly the whole system is broken.

Hopefully your ring will be returned and you can be done with this!

David
Old Oct 13, 2021, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Good points, and plainly the whole system is broken.

Hopefully your ring will be returned and you can be done with this!

David
Sorry, but here is another bump in the road. All those people calling and emailing me yesterday promised I would have a tracking number today so the ring would be returned tomorrow. When today I asked about the tracking number, I was told that they were still working on it.
In the meantime, my office located a perfect photo of the ring so I sent that on to complete the record in case this falls apart.

Last edited by Xeno; Oct 13, 2021 at 3:17 pm
Old Oct 15, 2021, 11:32 am
Original Poster

The ring is finally back on my finger! Thanks to the FT community for seeing me through this ordeal.
I will be writing letter of appreciation to all those who took care of this.
I now have new safeguards in place that will be tested when I fly to ATH in two weeks.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
see post 48 above
Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt this would go anywhere, but what happens if I notify local TV stations saying DL refuses to release a wedding ring which they confirmed they have in their possession?
Perhaps I could mention I was on my way to the Vatican to meet with Pope Francis as part of a select group of world faith leaders of all religions working toward COP26? I do have a few photos from Rome that should work well for TV!
Yeah, you did get it back, but I'm amazed at their actions. I would think that they would legally be on the hook for the value of the ring if they dispose of it after having identified it's owner.

I strongly suspect you were dealing with someone who didn't want to be bothered to even try.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Yeah, you did get it back, but I'm amazed at their actions. I would think that they would legally be on the hook for the value of the ring if they dispose of it after having identified it's owner.

I strongly suspect you were dealing with someone who didn't want to be bothered to even try.
If the agent had looked at report (thus knowing who the ring belonged to) a possible claim could be made if not returned. However they had no duty to look at reports. They have no duty of care for the item and once statutory time limit is reached they own item. (Thus why send to warehouse to wait the time required for owner to claim) This means if employee accidentally had tossed in trash, no claim. Basically the only reason they would be on hook is if once you knew where item was they prevented you from repossessing the item. (This means knowing it's actual physical location, not just were lost the item)

They only need to hold it for X period if time, then can sell it. Depending on state they may need to hold onto funds for a further X period. However usually once they can sell it, they get to keep any value.

Last edited by flyerCO; Oct 26, 2021 at 11:09 am
Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:57 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Wow, what a tale, but at least it ended happily this time. Congrats on success due to your persistence!

daloosh
Old Oct 28, 2021, 1:52 pm
Original Member

Were you told how the ring made it out of your luggage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.