Lost wedding ring

Old Oct 1, 2021, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Lost wedding ring

My wife had cleaned my wedding ring for meeting at the Vatican so it was placed in a small black case and secured in the bottom layer of my Tumi rollaboard. However, once I got to my hotel in Rome, I could find a like box with a cross but not the one with the ring.
I kept searching through this morning and finding nothing called DL. I was told to use the online form which I have now done. I was told to call an ATL office which is presently not open. I was given a general number for FCO but I dialed wrong as for 2 years I have not used AT&T Wifi calling inside a country to a phone number in the same country.
This Wednesday afternoon, I was sitting on the far right first booth in ATL E SC. Is there not a SC number I can call?
Of course, I well remember my seat on #64 to FCO but apparently need to contact FCO to get help.
The E SC and #64 are the best candidates as I retrieved a light jacket while in the E SC then prior to landing opened the lower level of the Tumi bag to insert the jacket back into the case.
Advice most welcome.
Edited to say my hotel has called FCO but they hung up so will try again.

Last edited by Xeno; Oct 1, 2021 at 7:29 am
Old Oct 1, 2021, 8:12 am
Original Poster

I can longer edit my OP, but I called the DL number and was pushed to a VM system that is full and cannot take a message.
I thought there was a previous thread about something lost at an ATL SC, but I have not been able to locate the thread much less remember the solution.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Airports have phone lists that usually include all merchants and lounges. There's a slight chance that if you call the airport or ask in person at an airport information desk (or at any airport office that you can access), someone will give you the phone number for the SC you need.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Just to ask what may seem like a silly question, since you said you found another box in the suitcase - did you pack the correct box? Is it possible your wedding ring and the box it's in are simply at home?

Not as ideal of a solution but an option may be trekking out to FCO and asking at the airport information desk if they have a lost and found and/or going to the DL Service Counter, who may also have ways of dialing other numbers directly.
DutchessPDX and Bradhattan like this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Just to ask what may seem like a silly question, since you said you found another box in the suitcase - did you pack the correct box? Is it possible your wedding ring and the box it's in are simply at home?

Not as ideal of a solution but an option may be trekking out to FCO and asking at the airport information desk if they have a lost and found and/or going to the DL Service Counter, who may also have ways of dialing other numbers directly.
It is not an impossible notion that the ring was left behind although my memory of putting both cases in the Tumi bag is rather firm. However, it would not be an appropriate time for me to ask my wife to search for a ring she gave me on our silver anniversary since I am in Rome where I could not bring her for the 50th due to COVID.

I will follow the hotel lead about FCO and see if they make the same suggestion. My primary suspicion is that it was the E SC that is the leading candidate since that is where I pulled the jacket from the lower section of the rollaboard.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL DM
Ill share my experience with this sort of thing. I once left an iPad in a seat back pocket. Long story short, I was going to watch a video on a late flight but fell asleep and awoke right when we got to the gate and totally forgot about the iPad as I was in the first row to deplane and didnt want to hold things up.

I used the form online but read rumors online that not much happens when you fill out that form, and everything that isnt matched up within a certain timeframe gets shipped to a warehouse somewhere in the southeast to go on auction.

I found the arrival airports baggage department phone number (eg for if your baggage was lost/delayed) and got a message that said If you lost something, please fill out the online form. Goodbye And then I heard the universal answering machine beep. So I left a message (even though the message didnt invite me to). Less than an hour later, I got a call from a really nice baggage agent who looked and actually FOUND the iPad. I had to create a UPS account for them to bill the shipping to but they shipped it to me safely.

Id advise doing anything you can to get in touch with the Delta baggage desk at the arrival airport.

Good luck!
volabam likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. Given that phone calls to FCO and the ATL baggage phone + two separate online forms have gone nowhere, here is my next move.
On the day of departure from Rome, I will seek help at FCO in whatever version of Lost and Found exists hoping this is in the secure area as I arrive terribly early at the airport. If that turns up empty, then once I land in ATL I will return to E SC and ask them where I can look since that is my prime candidate.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Xeno
Thank you. Given that phone calls to FCO and the ATL baggage phone + two separate online forms have gone nowhere, here is my next move.
On the day of departure from Rome, I will seek help at FCO in whatever version of Lost and Found exists hoping this is in the secure area as I arrive terribly early at the airport. If that turns up empty, then once I land in ATL I will return to E SC and ask them where I can look since that is my prime candidate.
Just note that there may be a separate airport and Delta lost and found. Id suggest check with Delta baggage counter first, then any airport lost and found.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 10:30 am
Original Poster

After telling my wife today what happened, I tried more forms and calls. One DL DM agent called the E SC for me. He said they have not seen anything like my wedding ring. He also added that normal items left behind are quickly pushed on to Lost and Found. My wife adds that a wedding band would be easy for anyone to decide to keep for themselves.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 8:09 pm

I've had mixed success with DL lost and found. In the times it was successful, it took a lot longer than I expected and multiple forms submitted in one case. If it landed somewhere and the person was honest, the black box description will help a lot, as will any inscription.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 8:26 am

After telling my wife today what happened, I tried more forms and calls. One DL DM agent called the E SC for me. He said they have not seen anything like my wedding ring. He also added that normal items left behind are quickly pushed on to Lost and Found. My wife adds that a wedding band would be easy for anyone to decide to keep for themselves.
I do not envy having to make that phone call. I hope you don't have to make your trip to FCO permanent!
gretchendz likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kop84
I do not envy having to make that phone call. I hope you don't have to make your trip to FCO permanent!
My last hope is Wednesday when I can walk around FCO then ATL. If nothing shows up, not sure who will pick me up at the OKC airport!
gretchendz, wrp96 and kop84 like this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Xeno, have always enjoyed your posts. It was a pleasure knowing you.

You should never have started fiddling with the Tumi luggage.
Xeno, gretchendz, angra and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
My last hope is Wednesday when I can walk around FCO then ATL. If nothing shows up, not sure who will pick me up at the OKC airport!
Ive heard of these services called Uber and Lyft

Too soon?
Old Oct 5, 2021, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

My phrase was a euphemism for getting in the house. I guess I deserve this after making such a monumental mistake.
However, I fly tomorrow FCO-ATL-OKC and if anyone has pertinent advice it would be gladly received.
I tried 7 phone numbers today at FCO and nothing worked and my assistant claims that ATL L&F is near the United ticket office rather than in the secure area.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.