Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Current 2021 First Class meal service status -- Current FC meal service consists of cold meal boxes with the exception of JFK-SEA and BOS-SEA/SFO FC marketed flights which receive hot meal service. This includes both domestic and international DL FC marketed flights. Otherwise, only D1 marketed flights receive hot meals. All flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM receive meal service in FC. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM.

There have been no official announcements from DL concerning when hot meals will return to FC, however, it is rumored it will return Q1 2022.

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2021, 4:50 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
DL832 MSP-BOS Oct 16, 2021 Lunch

Choices were:
- Tomato and Mozzarella sandwich
- Italian "sub"
- Strawberry and chicken salad

The passengers in the row ahead of me chose the salad, and after seeing how tiny the saald was I went for the Italian sub.

The "sub" was really just a ham and cheese sandwich with marinated peppers on a seeded ciabatta roll. It was actually quite nice, and came with a cookie and a bag of chips. Drinks on the other hand, came in plastic cups, and the cups weren't even Delta branded. (Generic Eco Products cups)

Last edited by diburning; Oct 18, 2021 at 3:45 am
Old Oct 16, 2021, 5:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Delta really needs to stop playing games and go back to actual meals for first class. No reason not to when American, Jetblue, and United are all doing meal service now. I refuse to pay for a first class seat and get a boxed meal with a sad sandwich. Did Delta higher ups come out with a recent excuse of why they have delayed service when all of the other major U.S. airlines have resumed?
Old Oct 16, 2021, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
I am flying LAX-MEX on DL631 in FC. There is a Breakfast served. Does anyone know what it is, is it a hot breakfast?

on the return MEX-LAX on DL630 in FC there is a Dinner served, is this a hot dinnerr?, anybody know what is being served?

RC
Old Oct 16, 2021, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Radiocycle
I am flying LAX-MEX on DL631 in FC. There is a Breakfast served. Does anyone know what it is, is it a hot breakfast?

on the return MEX-LAX on DL630 in FC there is a Dinner served, is this a hot dinnerr?, anybody know what is being served?

RC
Sorry, no hot meals. These are marketed as First Class and will just have the cold meal box options (just like most domestic First routes). There's a number of pictures of the meal box options upthread. The only First Class marketed flights getting hot meal right now are on JFK/BOS-SEA/SFO/LAX transcon routes.

Some example boxes -
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33604132-post1009.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33561878-post876.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33650686-post1186.html

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 17, 2021 at 6:05 am
Old Oct 17, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Dinner menu from my JFK-LAX flight last night, from Union Square Hospitality. I had the short rib. Didn't take any pics but it was a very tasty meal.

Old Oct 17, 2021, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Has Delta announced a launch date/plans to restore Hot Meals in FC on flights over 1500 miles?

RC
Old Oct 17, 2021, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Radiocycle
Has Delta announced a launch date/plans to restore Hot Meals in FC on flights over 1500 miles?

RC
No, there have been no announcements. I suspect we should probably put some of these questions in the Wiki as they keep getting asked --
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33645964-post1174.html
PanAmSam likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by diburning
DL832 MSP-BOS Oct 16, 2021

Choices were:
- Tomato and Mozzarella sandwich
- Italian "sub"
- Strawberry and chicken salad

The passengers in the row ahead of me chose the salad, and after seeing how tiny the saald was I went for the Italian sub.

The "sub" was really just a ham and cheese sandwich with marinated peppers in seeded ciabatta roll. It was actually quite nice, and came with a cookie and a bag of chips. Drinks on the other hand, came in plastic cups, and the cups weren't even Delta branded. (Generic Eco Products cups)

Exact same options I had in F for ATL-SFO and SLC-DSM. Tried both sandwiches, not great but no bad
Old Oct 18, 2021, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
The salad is small, but better than either sandwich but the splintery wood fork sucks. I am going to grab plasticware in the SkyClub from now on.
TastyPlaneEats likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DCWeasel
I’m happy to confirm they are back to serving PDB (I had choice of sparkling wine or OJ on AMS-SLC this morning) albeit in a plastic cup. And lunch was pretty good - I still long for the cheese. They are also being good about refilling drinks.

Just. noticed you only got a Premium Select Amenity Kit. (They're square instead of rectangular) I noticed this as DL148 on 15th had same issue. Even crew commented this wasnt 1st time to happen.

Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
Someone needs to take one for the team and try the crab cakes, I'm very curious how that's gonna go.
Originally Posted by Zorak
If they're the same as the pre-COVID version, I thought they were great, and I say that as a Marylander.
Originally Posted by flyerCO

They're great. Crab cakes have always been a favorite on DL.
I had on DL148 ATL-ATH. These are not the old crab cakes as i thought would be. Smaller, less taste and sitting on top a very thick hollandaise sauce. Bad, no, great like previously, no.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 6:39 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I had on DL148 ATL-ATH. These are not the old crab cakes as i thought would be. Smaller, less taste and sitting on top a very thick hollandaise sauce. Bad, no, great like previously, no.
That's disappointing to hear, but thanks for the update!
Old Oct 18, 2021, 7:22 pm

Has delta come out and said why they are doing this? The black box is disgusting imo. The snack basket is better and my last two flights if they offer the black box then there is no snack basket. Atl to mco is better service than den to atl. It is just a meal but they are pissing me off enough I will probably just cancel and go with United just curious what Delta’s reason for it is. Is a tray more dangerous than a box? More dangerous for who?

is there a way to tell them their service sucks if they don’t ask? I stopped getting enails asking when I kept hammering them each time they asked when they dropped the nra discount because people that have nothing to do with the nra where shooting people.

Originally Posted by Cat88L3
Delta really needs to stop playing games and go back to actual meals for first class. No reason not to when American, Jetblue, and United are all doing meal service now. I refuse to pay for a first class seat and get a boxed meal with a sad sandwich. Did Delta higher ups come out with a recent excuse of why they have delayed service when all of the other major U.S. airlines have resumed?
TastyPlaneEats likes this.

Last edited by Jon_R; Oct 18, 2021 at 7:28 pm
Old Oct 18, 2021, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Jon_R
is there a way to tell them their service sucks if they don’t ask?
Click on "Feedback & Complaints" on this page: https://www.delta.com/us/en/need-help/overview
Old Oct 18, 2021, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Jon_R
Has delta come out and said why they are doing this? The black box is disgusting imo. The snack basket is better and my last two flights if they offer the black box then there is no snack basket. Atl to mco is better service than den to atl. It is just a meal but they are pissing me off enough I will probably just cancel and go with United just curious what Delta’s reason for it is. Is a tray more dangerous than a box? More dangerous for who?

is there a way to tell them their service sucks if they don’t ask? I stopped getting enails asking when I kept hammering them each time they asked when they dropped the nra discount because people that have nothing to do with the nra where shooting people.
Has nothing to do with “health and safety” and DL is just being cheap/cost cutting because people continue to pay a premium for their current crappy in-flight FC service. Vote with your wallet.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Has nothing to do with “health and safety” and DL is just being cheap/cost cutting because people continue to pay a premium for their current crappy in-flight FC service. Vote with your wallet.
I've had my last sad box!

Next trip (same route twice a month) will be with AA. I'll report here!
Aloha1, TastyPlaneEats and cmd320 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.