Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Current 2021 First Class meal service status -- Current FC meal service consists of cold meal boxes with the exception of JFK-SEA and BOS-SEA/SFO FC marketed flights which receive hot meal service. This includes both domestic and international DL FC marketed flights. Otherwise, only D1 marketed flights receive hot meals. All flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM receive meal service in FC. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM.

There have been no official announcements from DL concerning when hot meals will return to FC, however, it is rumored it will return Q1 2022.

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2021, 7:35 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by cmd320
Was that a redeye?
No - I’m on the flight now; the 3:05 flight
Old Jul 28, 2021, 7:36 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I would like to share a quote from DL’s press release last month announcing the return of meals to F:

”artisan sandwiches, salads and bowls specially curated for Delta. The new meals offer nourishing options like coconut chia oatmeal, a superfood grain bowl, a strawberry salad with seared chicken, an Italian prosciutto and fresh mozzarella sandwich and more.”

That “artisan sandwich… specially curated for Delta” looks…
Old Jul 28, 2021, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Adelphos
No - I’m on the flight now; the 3:05 flight
Ahh, gotcha. Lighting made it look like it was night time.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by cmd320
Aren’t SEA-JFK/BOS D1?
SEA-JFK is 4x daily and currently 3 of the flights are D1 while 1 is regular domestic FC. SEA-BOS is 3x daily and all are Domestic FC (although the 75S sometimes operates on these flights).
Old Jul 28, 2021, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by dw
I would like to share a quote from DL’s press release last month announcing the return of meals to F:

”artisan sandwiches, salads and bowls specially curated for Delta. The new meals offer nourishing options like coconut chia oatmeal, a superfood grain bowl, a strawberry salad with seared chicken, an Italian prosciutto and fresh mozzarella sandwich and more.”

That “artisan sandwich… specially curated for Delta” looks…
According to the Delta News Hub, the sandwiches are “premium.” https://news.delta.com/la-chefs-jon-...omestic-cabins

COMING SOON: PREMIUM SANDWICHES, SALADS AND BOWLS

dw likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by nystateofmind
That F meal reminds me of what I would get as a child flying NYC-PBI in Y
It's a step above PHL-PIT on Allegheny when I was a kid, but that's a low bar to clear. I'd put it on a par with what I got flying AMS-CGN on an ATR-72 back in the 90s.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 8:57 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I’m interested in airline strategy - did Delta assume none of its regular passengers would fly at all this year, so they could get away with some of these substandard meals in F? I have seen the bistro box a couple of times, it’s a bad offering. Why is DL lagging AA and UA here?
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 8:58 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Detroiter
It's a step above PHL-PIT on Allegheny when I was a kid, but that's a low bar to clear. I'd put it on a par with what I got flying AMS-CGN on an ATR-72 back in the 90s.
The pre-Covid British Airways Marks and Spencer BOB in coach for short haul European flights actually looked much better than this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 9:09 pm

I’m interested in airline strategy - did Delta assume none of its regular passengers would fly at all this year, so they could get away with some of these substandard meals in F? I have seen the bistro box a couple of times, it’s a bad offering. Why is DL lagging AA and UA here?
DL is just now starting to offer what AA has been serving since June 2020. UA has been leading the pack out of the big 3 in FC service by providing hot plated sandwiches or snack boxes throughout the heart of the pandemic and then returned to plated hot meal service on flights over 1,500 miles June 15th.
dw, cmd320 and GagaPilot like this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are probably many of the regulars who aren't even aware of what UA and AA are offering. If you've gotten tired of the Market/Bistro box routine, pretty much anything would feel like a step up.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dw
The pre-Covid British Airways Marks and Spencer BOB in coach for short haul European flights actually looked much better than this.
The club sandwich I had on Mexican Delta last month looked less sad than that. And it also came in a box, albeit a slightly cheaper looking box.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33344302-post4459.html
Old Jul 29, 2021, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'm not one to give DL much credit lately, and deservedly so, but the Republic DBA Shuttle crew this morning on DCA-LGA gets it. F FA came through and took open bar drink orders prior to take off, got them out, and even did the Covid esque snack pass after the captain announced prep for landing. She's definitely getting a compliment thrown her way
Old Jul 29, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
FC JFK-SLC "gourmet premium bistro salad" option replete with COVID mask warning and additional safety theater nonsense:

It looks far better than it tasted. Amazing this is the garbage being offered to first class.

For comparison - this is what was served on a 2 hour Lufthansa flight recently:

Old Jul 29, 2021, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by p100a
FC JFK-SLC "gourmet premium bistro salad" option replete with COVID mask warning and additional safety theater nonsense:

It looks far better than it tasted. Amazing this is the garbage being offered to first class.

That salad is essentially the size of the old side salad that came with the pre-COVID plated hot meals
p100a likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by p100a

Does this double as a breakfast salad? What’s with all the strawberries?

It looks like they spend more $$ on the packaging than the actual contents.
SkyTeam777 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.