Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Asking Staff to Volunteer to clean Skyclubs due to staff shortage!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Asking Staff to Volunteer to clean Skyclubs due to staff shortage!

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2021, 11:49 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In some organizations, volunteering to pitch in and help the employer would be viewed very favorably by management.
It would be very sad if there are companies where The Management wouldn't view this as very favorably.
ChinaShrek and cmd320 like this.
Old May 11, 2021, 11:51 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It seems to be an email sent to a pilot friend of the OP, presumably not dated April 1st.
OP said "notice", not necessarily e-mail.

IMO it would be a bit much to send out as a broadcast e-mail, but I can see it being posted as a notice on the internal Delta web.

And I would expect them to be paid - an employer can't ask an hourly employee to work for free. Federal labor law and all that stuff.
El Boocho and Bradhattan like this.
Old May 11, 2021, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
I find this story VERY difficult to believe.
Me too. Not because I think much of the current DL management, but it just sounds like a half truth at best. Just doesn't make sense. Perhaps there is a posting that if existing EE's want to earn some extra $ they can take on this work and it was sent or made available to everyone at DL. Maybe it saves on the HR costs or something, or they thought some groups (likely not pilots...) would feel they were being passed over for opportunities that were given to contractors/new EEs.
HDQDD likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 1:27 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
JonNYC on Twitter is very often correct; it seems it's real.

Apparently there's a group of DL employees called the "Peach Corps" that volunteers to do other jobs, like cleaning airplane interiors / exteriors. guiding passengers. If I was working a desk job, I'd actually have fun cleaning the outside of an airplane for a day.

Labor-wise, I'd imagine folks have to get paid. Hopefully they prioritize wheelchair pushing over Sky Club cleaning though.
DiverDave, ryandc99, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old May 11, 2021, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
This makes complete sense with the full context that JonNYC provides in the subsequent tweets.

TLDR, there is a volunteer group at DL (across all functions) that volunteers to help the company with various things at various times (e.g., Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.) and this was a request sent to that group in line with prior requests. Nothing odd here.

N830MH and wrp96 like this.
Old May 11, 2021, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
As always, much better when we have context. Note the limit of three volunteer days per month.

DiverDave likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 1:46 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
The screenshot doesn't really answer the core issue here.
"Volunteer" could just mean people willing to do the work. That doesn't necessarily mean there's no pay.

If the contractor is not fulling their obligation, it stands to reason that Delta is not paying them their full cost. That should mean there's money available to pay employees.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Was at Admiral's Club 2 weeks ago in Dallas....top notch in all respects.....another reason drawing me back to AA. Also great F service for me.....Senior FA went out of his way for the FC passengers.....I did not test the PM line today but last week it still was hours call back.....AA very efficient and responsive.....
Old May 11, 2021, 2:08 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by TBD
The screenshot doesn't really answer the core issue here.
"Volunteer" could just mean people willing to do the work. That doesn't necessarily mean there's no pay.

If the contractor is not fulling their obligation, it stands to reason that Delta is not paying them their full cost. That should mean there's money available to pay employees.
I believe it's more that the contractor themselves can't field enough employees, not that Delta is unwilling to pay for them.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 2:12 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical on this one before seeing the screenshots... but wow. It seems in general there are staffing issues, across the travel industry, but certainly Delta seems more impacted than other airlines.

See other examples:
ATL wheelchair service

Delta Extensive Hold Times during COVID-19 (consolidated thread)
Old May 11, 2021, 2:49 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by dcadwell
I believe it's more that the contractor themselves can't field enough employees, not that Delta is unwilling to pay for them.
That's exactly my point, though. The contractor isn't fulfilling their obligations under their Delta contract because the contractor can't find enough staff. if Delta's procurement team is any good, their contract already includes some provisions for Delta to claw $ back. That $ can be reallocated to pay employees who "volunteer" to do the work.

Last edited by TBD; May 11, 2021 at 2:58 pm
Old May 11, 2021, 3:00 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by TBD
That's exactly my point, though. The contractor isn't fulfilling their obligations under their Delta contract because the contractor can't find enough staff. if Delta's procurement team is any good, their contract already includes some provisions for Delta to claw $ back. That $ can be reallocated to pay employees who "volunteer" to do the work.
Perfectly fair. Just a sad situation. I have several friends who are SBOs that also can't find people to work.
Old May 11, 2021, 3:52 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Gary Leff spoke to DL and they clarified this is only supposed to be for *salaried* employees, not front line employees.

So that seems to indicate that it will in fact be unpaid.
Old May 11, 2021, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
I find this story VERY difficult to believe.
Originally Posted by El Boocho
Me too.
Definitely true - or I wouldn't have mentioned it in the first place (note: I did not create this thread, the original post was just a reply in a different thread). Thanks DenverBrian and VFR for posting the screenshots. Everyone can judge what they mean, but they're definitely asking for volunteers IMO. Since this thread was created from a completely different post (within the call center wait times thread) - I didn't want to veer too far off topic there by posting the screenshot there.

-FlyerBeek
lsquare likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dw
Gary Leff spoke to DL and they clarified this is only supposed to be for *salaried* employees, not front line employees.

So that seems to indicate that it will in fact be unpaid.
They would need to pay for these hours or risk losing the exempt status of the employee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.